Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM

26,400 posts, read 46,364,593 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the 4th generation of the Ipod touch that just came out recently. It appears to be a fairly good value with additional new features. One BIG advantage I like is that you don't have to pay the monthly fees like the I phone. Also, I like the idea of the text and phone apps- so you could almost get rid of your cell phone and save on the monthly bills. I know the standard warranty and case adds up to an additional $45-50 on top of the base price.
Any other thoughts?

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-09-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 11:31 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,744,608 times
I'm wanting to know the same things, so I'll be watching this thread

I have a venerable 1st gen. Touch which someone gave me and I love it, even without all the improvements which have been added in later generations.
So for me the question is will I go for the 4th gen. Touch or wait for 2nd gen. iPad, which will for sure have new stuff and may even be available in a smaller,
in-between size. Or is that just a rumour? (Not to go off-topic, though...)

Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm wanting to know the same things, so I'll be watching this thread

I have a venerable 1st gen. Touch which someone gave me and I love it, even without all the improvements which have been added in later generations.
So for me the question is will I go for the 4th gen. Touch or wait for 2nd gen. iPad, which will for sure have new stuff and may even be available in a smaller,
in-between size. Or is that just a rumour? (Not to go off-topic, though...)
One awesome new feature on the 4th gen ipod touch is the 720p HD video camera built in as well as wifi. Direct downloads from the apps store, email, internet, direct music purchases via itunes, etc. Even if you don't listen or buy a lot of songs, the ipod touch has so much functionality it is amazing- even with the higher price tag.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,280,120 times
I have the iPhone 4 which is very similar to the iPod touch 4. I upgraded from the 2G iPod touch.

I love everything about this thing (except AT&T), I love the HD video camera although I haven't really had a serious use for it yet. I only FaceTime'd once too lol. The screen is great as well.

The only downside is that you need wifi for those text and phone apps on the iPod touch so it doesn't completely take a cell phone's place.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM

25 posts, read 53,609 times
just owned a Ipod touch 4, very valuable, highly recommended
only user knows the advantage of it
32G is the best choice I think, half the price of Iphone
the only difference is unable to make a phone call
but if you are always covered by wireless, with skype you can make a call easily by using
the mike embeded at the bottom
the cammera is also very nice

of course without wi-fi, the function of touch4 is limited, but still recommendable for students

Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 AM

"but if you are always covered by wireless, with skype you can make a call easily by using
the mike embeded at the bottom"
So you can have that functionality with the skype app?

Also, is the wifi network secured to your own device and not others? That point somewhat confuses me.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,744,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"but if you are always covered by wireless, with skype you can make a call easily by using
the mike embeded at the bottom"
So you can have that functionality with the skype app?

Also, is the wifi network secured to your own device and not others? That point somewhat confuses me.
I think the person you quoted meant that because the iPod is Wi-Fi enabled, if you get the Skype app the iPod can be used as a phone whenever you are near 'free' Wi-Fi or your own computer with Wi-Fi broadcasting.

With a Skype account one can buy an internet phone number (the most economical plan is yearly = $30) and one can buy usage (for instance, yearly = $30 for the unlimited US & Canada plan) so for a total of $60 a year one could use the iPod Touch as a phone whenever one are within a Wi-Fi area which one can access.

This enables one to call any number, mobil, land or internet. Of course if the person being phoned has Skype, there is no charge at all. I talk to my friend in Sweden often @ no charge at all.

I did this exact thing, only using my iMac, because for awhile I chose to not have a land line. I would think the same plans are available through the iPod app, but am not certain.

Someone more knowledgable than I will certainly come along and correct me...

Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 40,990 times
I purchased my iPod touch 3 earlier this year. I often talk on the phone about web sites. I got a Verizon Hotspot for my wifi connection. Works great. The iPod is so much easier to carry with me than my laptop. I am loving the ability to go to a web page where ever I am. It doesn't have video but I have a nice video camera.

My down side is problems syncing! Endless problems......

Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmomma View Post
My down side is problems syncing! Endless problems......

What exactly does that mean

Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,796,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What exactly does that mean

The IPod will sync (back-up) with ITunes every time you connect it to your computer.If you've downloaded any Apps,games or music on either your IPod or on your computer it will automatically sync when you connect the 2 of them.I've never had any problems syncing my IPad or my girlfriends IPod but Apple's tech support is awesome if you ever run into any problems.I was calling them daily when I bought my first Mac and they are very helpful and extremely patient....lol

Here's a link for the IPod touch manual you can look through.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones