U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,581,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I had Sprint LD before it went all-cell;
Sprint is still a lot more than cell today. They are a big chunk of the internet backbone, and run a lot of the international telecommunications infrastructure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,463 times
Virgin Mobile

Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,891,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I had Alltel back before the merger with Verizon. I have not been happy with Verizon and I will not be staying with them after my contract is done.
So says my sister who lives in your neck of the woods. I'll mention AT&T to them. Have you checked on buying out your contract? In the long run, you could save yourself some money.

I used to be impressed with Verizon (and my smart phone). Right now I'm staying in a rural area and the coverage is horrendous. Calls are dropped, the phone just turns off by itself & I get VM messages two days after they're sent. It has zero coverage in the mountains.

I finally got one CSR to tell me that Verizon only has one tower in this area, and that she also has the same problems (w/same phone as I have) when traveling to see her family in the country.

Don't pay attention to their coverage maps. And I asked about the coverage here before I bought the phone~~~

Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM

15,861 posts, read 32,967,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What bothers you about Verizon? AT&T seems to be a hit or miss. Some people like them, others hate them.
What ticks me off about Verizon is that they keep asking more and more money for less service.

I have a family plan with my old Alltel account that gives me 900 minutes for $45. My mobile web is $5.95 and I have a data plan that gives me UNLIMITED download for $39.99.

If I switched over to Verizon plan, I could not get the same amount of family minutes for less than $59.99, data web would be $9.99, and the cost for 2GB of data on a data plan would be $60 per month.

While it is true that AT & T charges are the same as Verizon, when the day comes that I MUST get a new phone and I no longer have the option of keeping my old Alltel plan, then I will go to a different provider ON PRINCIPAL alone.

It does not cost these companies that much more to provide services. If I can get unlimited voice, text and mobile web for $45 per month with "Stright Talk" , then Verizon could provide services for the same charge and still make money.

I'm tired of getting screwed over by cell phone companies.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-14-2010, 02:34 PM

5,805 posts, read 9,207,725 times
Join the Club....Alot of us are Verizon deflectee's because how much they Wallet Rape....But AT&T isn't going to be any better, infact it may be worse because of how much they charge (similar to Verizon) but their network quality is way worse because of iPhone overload (i've been told) again this depends on where you are...Most complaints about AT&T come from Big Cities and Metro areas....folks in Rural America dont seem to have as many problems, possiblity because they don't tax the network as much as the cities....

Really you should give Sprint a shot, their network has been every bit as good as Verizon (In mine and a lot of peoples cases) and while not the cheapest.....Sprint is the best when looking at both Pricing and Quality of Network....and Sprint doesn't Nickel and Dime you on the extra's Like Verizon and AT&T do....Most people who complain about Sprint are apart of the Pre Hesse class..I was not with Sprint then and did hear alot of complaints, but Dan Hesse must be a mircle worker because I have not expreinced any of the problems people claim Sprint to have.

I would say try Sprint out make sure it works for you within the 30days if not return everything and you owe nothing (Sprint has a 30-day Worry Free Guarantee), but aleast try to save yourself some $$$$$ when changing providers.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthrensurvivalist View Post
Virgin Mobile
Virgin Mobile is good unless you're a heavy talker.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Join the Club....Alot of us are Verizon deflectee's because how much they Wallet Rape....But AT&T isn't going to be any better, infact it may be worse because of how much they charge (similar to Verizon) but their network quality is way worse because of iPhone overload (i've been told) again this depends on where you are...Most complaints about AT&T come from Big Cities and Metro areas....folks in Rural America dont seem to have as many problems, possiblity because they don't tax the network as much as the cities....

Really you should give Sprint a shot, their network has been every bit as good as Verizon (In mine and a lot of peoples cases) and while not the cheapest.....Sprint is the best when looking at both Pricing and Quality of Network....and Sprint doesn't Nickel and Dime you on the extra's Like Verizon and AT&T do....Most people who complain about Sprint are apart of the Pre Hesse class..I was not with Sprint then and did hear alot of complaints, but Dan Hesse must be a mircle worker because I have not expreinced any of the problems people claim Sprint to have.

I would say try Sprint out make sure it works for you within the 30days if not return everything and you owe nothing (Sprint has a 30-day Worry Free Guarantee), but aleast try to save yourself some $$$$$ when changing providers.
Also, Sprint gives you discounted phones yearly for all smartphone plans. You get more bang out of the premium you're paying in your monthly fee.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,254,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Hi all. I just have a plain old motorola now, and was planning on a free upgrade to a smartphone when my current contract was finished. Also, I thought that since I've been with T-Mobile for about 10 years that they might negotiate a better plan. But, no. Are there any other less expensive providers? Anyone have any experience with Cricket or Virgin Mobile?
Look into T-Mobile's month-to-month plans. Do the math. Yes, youll have to pay 500 dollars for a proper smartphone, completely out of pocket, but if you compare what 2 years of service at their month-to-month rates vs. 2 years of service while locked into a contract and receiving a discounted smartphone results in significant savings by forgoing the discounted smartphone.

As to Sprint - there's a reason why as the stock market has been gaining steadily since July that their share price has languished in the 4 dollar range.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Look into T-Mobile's month-to-month plans. Do the math. Yes, youll have to pay 500 dollars for a proper smartphone, completely out of pocket, but if you compare what 2 years of service at their month-to-month rates vs. 2 years of service while locked into a contract and receiving a discounted smartphone results in significant savings by forgoing the discounted smartphone.

As to Sprint - there's a reason why as the stock market has been gaining steadily since July that their share price has languished in the 4 dollar range.
Discussing the stock performance of Sprint doesn't really help T-Mobile. Both stocks have performed about the same when compared at 10 years and 1 years, with variations inbetween.

I am intrigued by those Pay-for-your-phone plans that T-Mo has. I wish all providers would offer that. It would encourage people to keep phones longer and save a decent amount of money.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-17-2010 at 04:15 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 04:20 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,254,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Discussing the stock performance of Sprint doesn't really help T-Mobile. Both stocks have performed about the same when compared at 10 years and 1 years, with variations inbetween.

I am intrigued by those Pay-for-your-phone plans that T-Mo has. I wish all providers would offer that. It would encourage people to keep phones longer and save a decent amount of money.
Sprint is Sprint, though (or S, as it were).

T-Mobile is actually Deutsche Telekom. DT is a hugely unprofitable company that has one profitable unit in it, which happens to be T-Mobile.

Anyhow, the point I was getting to is that Sprint's stock price isn't going up because Sprint's overall service isn't going up significantly enough to garner them significant market share. Il'l be the first one to stand up and say they are MUCH better today than they were 5 years ago, but they've still got a long ways to go, IMO. They rode that "we're the first 4G" horse as long as they could. They've been caught, though.

Anyhow, point is, I'm a fan of T-Mo in terms of domestic wireless carriers for a myriad of reasons including the fact that they have the best phones, and the month-to-month plan is the best in the business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones