Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

After having my Droid for a few months now...I'm fully convinced that they will eventually takeover the world. Unlike Blackberry who is not really keeping up with the times, Droid seems to be coming out with a new phone every few months. I currently have the Droid Incredible by HTC and LOVE IT. It replaces my Blackberry Curve which was very faithful and trustworthy but does not do 1/4 of the things that my Droid can do.

Go back 3 years ago and 90% of everyone at the engineering firm I work at had a Blackberry. Now today it seems like over half of the former Blackberry owners are sporting Droid phones, ask most of them if they'll ever go back to Blackberry and you receive an overwhelming NO.

Blackberry really dropped the ball in the past year...it simply is not updating their product to incorporate new technology. I used to think I'd never own anything besides a Blackberry but oh how things change.

Apple's iPhone also seems to be lagging behind the Droid. What once was the "in" thing to have is falling to the wayside. I've met numerous former iPhone owners at my firm who have switched to the Droid and I don't think any of them ever planned on going back to AT&T or the iPhone even if it does come to Verizon.

I'd be willing to bet within the next 5-10 years, 60% of all cell phone users will be carrying a smartphone and of that percentage, 40%+ will be using a Droid.

Thoughts/Ideas/Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Well, I'm not sure if the Droid is going to be taking over... but the Android OS sure is.

You'd probably be happy to hear that Android phones are the most popular in the United States. Part of the reason, IMO, is that the iPhone is currently stuck on one service provider - whereas Androids are available on just about every provider's network. The new Blackberry's are nice, though... they just don't have as extensive an App market as Android or iTunes.

Another interesting report shows that Androids worldwide went from 1.8% of the market to 17% in just one year. Symbian and RIM (Blackberry) are still have a greater marketshare. I'm almost positive that by 2Q11 that Androids will be overtaking RIM. Symbian, however, will have the largest marketshare for quite a long time.

Myself, I currently have the Samsung Moment, but will soon upgrade to the Samsung Epic. I personally find the interface and customizability of Androids to be better than BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and iPhone. What makes the phone even better for me is the ability to write, transfer, and run my own apps - aka, not forcefully chained to the App Market. And that was even without rooting it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Symbian hasn't made a dent in the US market, though. Do you know one person that has a "Symbian Phone"?

Blackberry is getting there. The Torch is nice and the apps market is growing there. The Torch should have been the Storm2 and they would be doing much better.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
I don't think blackberry is going anywhere. If all you care about it apps, you'll probably do fine with Android. No on can come close to the speed of email that BB offers.

Granted, my experience with android is limited (hands on with only the G1) .... i think its a great phone OS, but not taking over the world, quite yet.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Symbian hasn't made a dent in the US market, though. Do you know one person that has a "Symbian Phone"?

Blackberry is getting there. The Torch is nice and the apps market is growing there. The Torch should have been the Storm2 and they would be doing much better.
In the US market, Symbian isn't popular or prevalent in the slightest (3%). They do have a few phones, but they're limited. However, they hold the greatest share worldwide. I've read a number of articles on CNET about how Nokia was working on phones for the US, but then they announced the C6, C7, N8, and E7 - none of which would be coming to America.

I'm not holding my breath, but if Androids can go from having 1.8% of the worldwide share to 17% in one year... it would not be a stretch to imagine what would happen in the world's most popular phone OS thundered into the US market.

And yes, Blackberry is getting there. They're "behind the curve" right now, but I've got my hopes up that they'll catch up. The Torch is a nice phone. But, I'm more of an Open-Source gal.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
You can't really tell with the cell phone market. 3 Years ago, Windows Mobile and PalmOS had a significant share of market. Apple gobbled it up, followed by Android.

You think Verizon will take over the cell phone market droid phones? I disagree. AT&T still has a lot of marketshare, and will be the premier WP7 carrier (Due Oct 11). Sprint is gaining marketshare, albeit very slowly. So I don't think Verizon phones will rule the world as you suggest.

On a sidenote, Nokia announced it's intention to enter the US smartphone market, so we have a new (and experienced) player.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
No, just because Android is on every carrier doesn't mean it's better and/or taking over.

I'm a former Android user and I've had my iPhone 4 for 2 months and the only thing I hate about it is AT&T, and no I've never had the deathgrip problem. I love this thing. The iOS App Store was a MAJOR improvement over the Android App Store too. Trust me the iPhone isn't lagging lol, earlier this year it was but with the new one I'd say it jumped ahead of the competition. The main feature from the Droids I'd love to have is the mobile hotspot feature, that's so cool but it's more of a carrier restriction (AT&T).

Blackberry is behind the curve, why does it supposedly have the best email though? I never understood that.

WebOS (Palm) is actually very underrated IMO.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Agree that the very latest PalmOS on the PRE and the PIXI was quite good. Maybe HP can restore Palm to its former glory. They are trying to.

Blackberry always has had and still does have the best corporate integration bar none. A lot of that has to do with what goes on behind the scenes. BES running on a server in the corporate network. BIS running on carrier networks.

But the gap is closing fast. And RIM knows it.

I hate to count anyone out but I think the future is bleak for Windows Mobile. I had Winmoby for a long time and was so disappointed by the way everyone vaulted past Winmoby that it soured me from every going back to Windows Mobile. It could brush my teeth for me and I will never go back. and I WAS a fan.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Android is definitely the bomb and is the first real competitor to the iphone. I have the HTC EVO and LOVE IT (yes all caps). However I'm the first to admit there isn't a manufacturer that has the cultic following that Apple has. That user base would jump off a cliff if Steve Jobs said the iphone 5G was at the bottom of it . It will remain the market leader for quite some time.

Blackberry is still KING in the corporate world. All the nice cool social networking features pale in comparison to corporate control and lock down of your device- this is key and takes precedent of all the social networking add-ins on the consumer side. Blackberry isn't going anywhere.

The real joke here is WinMobile. They seem to be suffering from the same aliments that killed Palm back in the late 90s. I used to be a big WinMobile fan and really wanted MS to stop trying to make phone's look like a PC and build in the usability that 99% of the users in the mobile market wanted.

I'll say this, Oracle is gonna make it an interesting 2011 for Google as he's poised to sue the pants Google in their non-license use of Java.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Just upgraded from my Tour 9630 to the Epic 4G - This phone smokes all LOVE IT like i gave birth to it....The perfect phone for me!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones