Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Carrier
Verizon 17 22.97%
Sprint 18 24.32%
AT&T 18 24.32%
T-Mobile 7 9.46%
Regional (Cricket, Metro, US CELL) 4 5.41%
Pre-Paid (Boost, Virgin, Smarttime, Page Plus, Walmart) 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times

Advertisements

Sprint for last 1yr 1/2 - Service is great works everywhere I need it to, Lovin' my Epic 4G, best plans hands down, and I rarely need Customer Service.

Verizon for 10yrs - Service was top notch for where I needed it, Customer Service Good, Pricing was my factor for switching, Verizon nickel and dimed you on every feature...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
i have cricket for a while and then went to metro p.c for i am in a area that has it..me i love the fixed price of $.59.oo dollars a month for there smart phone plan was $.50.oo dollars a month with $.4.95.headset replacement plan and $.4.oo dlollar total on the taxs ..it comes out to a monthly bill of $.59.oo a month ..for it great for my budget that i have .

.it great plan i can use it in diff states like CA and Neveda and AZ and Utah areas when i go home or travel through the area i still get cell service when iam out on the road area..

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I choose Sprint because I pay $30/month for a smartphone plan w/ unlimited data and text.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I chose Sprint because, well, because I chose Sprint.
Alltel left the building and Verizon cripples their phones and charges to make them work.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
I use T-Mobile for a few reasons:

1) They had the 1st Android phone, and the Android platform has not only been consistently the best base OS for a smartphone, but was also destined to become the dominant platform going forward
2) Their unlimited talk and data plan was (and continues to be) the best in the industry
3) There's a reason they win the JD Power Awards for best customer service every year, and have won best overall phone company something like 8 out of the last 9 years
4) They're the closest to true 4G present day. While not technically 4G under industry standards, nobody is actually truly 4G, because nobody uses WiMax 2 yet. T-Mobile's HSPA might not be 4G in the literal sense of the word, but it's the fastest out there today, and will remain so for at least the next 2 years.
5) Their phones tend to be superior. The G1 was revolutionary. The MyTouch Slide was the best phone on the market until the EVO came out, and now the MyTouch 4G and the G2 are the top phones on the market. For those interested in something as silly as a forward facing camera and thus are drawn to the iPhone 4 (which I have a real problem with because they mislead people into thinking it's a 4G speed device), the MyTouch 4G has that feature.
6) They don't lock me into a 2 year contract. I pay month to month, and the only caveat is I have to pay full price for my phones. I did the math and signing up for a 2 year contract and getting a discounted $500 phone in exchange ends up costing significantly more than simply paying $500 for the phone and then buying the month-to-month plan, which is much cheaper than the contract rate.
7) Best coverage for data. To use as a point of reference, I spent 5 months this year with both my T-Mobile Android as well as an iPhone, and there were numerous cities (Chicago, New York, etc.) where the iPhone I had been assigned was almost completely unusable, while my Android functioned flawlessly, because the network wasn't so severely overloaded.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I use T-Mobile for a few reasons:

2) Their unlimited talk and data plan was (and continues to be) the best in the industry
Can you please briefly detail that plan and mention whether it's currently available to new customers? When assessing plans via carrier websites, I did not find T-Mobile to be the most attractive, but it's possible I missed something.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Can you please briefly detail that plan and mention whether it's currently available to new customers? When assessing plans via carrier websites, I did not find T-Mobile to be the most attractive, but it's possible I missed something.
The plan I've got (and have had for some time now) is $50 a month for unlimited talk and text, and then 20 dollars a month for unlimited data. Grand total 70 bucks a phone, or $140 a month for 2 (as I pay for my female counterpart's phone, as well) on their month-to-month plan by which you have to pay full price for the phones. Their unlimited T/T/D plan with 2 year contract and discounted phone came in at 100 dollars a month a phone. Split out that extra 30 bucks a month over 2 years and that's 1440 dollars extra for the "privilege" of being locked into a contract over their month to month plan, with the only benefit being that you could get one of their smartphones at a $300 discount (we have MyTouch Slides, which were $500 full price and $200 with contract), for a net premium of 840 dollars just to get a cheaper phone and have to stay with them for 2 years, even if something goes wrong with them. It didn't make financial sense to go that route.

The next closest I could find was Sprint, which came in at $100 a month a phone for unlimited everything. I found AT&T to be the most expensive, and Verizon only slightly less so. These companies also wanted to lock me into multi-year contracts, which I am averse to. And now that Verizon and AT&T have gone to a tiered per meg data pricing structure, I will never consider them.

Last edited by Xanathos; 11-17-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Looks like Tmo pulls ahead if you need unlimited minutes. With unlimited mobile to mobile and 7pm nights on sprint, I get by with having a set number of minutes just fine. But everyone has different needs. I just mostly talk to people on their cell phones.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Looks like Tmo pulls ahead if you need unlimited minutes. With unlimited mobile to mobile and 7pm nights on sprint, I get by with having a set number of minutes just fine. But everyone has different needs. I just mostly talk to people on their cell phones.
I don't really know of any plans that come in at < $50 a month. Even Sprint's stripped down 450 minute package is 40....and that's without text messaging, which brings it up to at least 50 again. If I'm given the option of paying 50 bucks for 450 minutes with various "unlimiteds" that I may or may not have use for, or paying 50 bucks for just plain unlimited, I'll take the vanilla unlimited and peace of mind knowing that I'll never see an overage charge, every time. That's without even getting into the data plan, which is more expensive on Sprint (and even moreso on the other networks). There's also the aspect that I don't have to pay international roaming with T-Mobile if I go to Europe (which happens frequently). With Sprint, I would. Trust me when I say the data rates for using a smartphone overseas can be...shocking. This is huge for me.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:55 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Just switched from Sprint to Virgin Mobile, was paying $40 a month for voice/text only, no data, now I'm paying $25 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited text/data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones