U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM

33 posts, read 83,313 times

Advertisements

I'm using an EnV Touch right now, but it's lacking in the touch department.

There's an early upgrade available on my family account so I can get a new phone and I want a smartphone but I don't know which one. I'm starting college this fall and I'll be juggling college, marching band, a job, my Little Brother, and possibly a frat. Yes, I like being busy and I can handle it but I could use some of the handy organizational stuff with a smartphone.

My key thing is that I want really handy apps that make my life easier. I want my phone to be a phone, music player, camera, checkbook register, online banking, calendar, notes I write on my hand, internet usage, and pretty much anything else that may come my way.

I'm not much of a communication baron. I use my e-mail but not that much, so e-mail would be cool but not totally necessary (that might change in college though). Most, if not all of my communication is through texting. I send at least 8,000 texts a month. I use up very few minutes, most of my minutes are either work calling me, parents calling me or pocket dialing.

I also need durability. I will drop my phone more than I should, I'll text the buttons off the phone, and I need it to last at least 18 months, preferably 2 years or more.

With that said, I think a Blackberry would suit me well for its durability and physical keyboard, but will it have the apps I need? And how app friendly is it? Droids have really neat interfaces with widgets and icons and the like, is the app interface any good? Would you recommend me a Blackberry over the Droid X or Incredible?

And finally, I've heard that there's a really good chance that the iPhone 4 comes to Verizon at CES. Is there a point in me waiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM

519 posts, read 514,804 times
CES is just next week. Why not wait an extra week to see what is on tap?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 AM

3,685 posts, read 8,550,436 times
If you average over 250 text messages per day, you might want to consider a phone with a physical keyboard - Droid 2 instead of Droid X for example.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,306,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
CES is just next week. Why not wait an extra week to see what is on tap?
My thoughts as well.

I also agree with the post above mine that recommends the Droid 2. There is also the Droid Pro I believe. It has a physical keyboard.

I would NOT recommend the Blackberry over a Droid considering the fact that you want a lot of apps.

I text a lot on my phone (Droid X) and I thought I'd really miss the physical keyboard...I don't really miss it. I type a lot faster with the Swype feature.

I think you'd be pretty happy with the Droid 2 because of the durability and the fact that you can use a physical keyboard OR a touchscreen keyboard.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,584,092 times
why not switch to Sprint and get the HTC EVO SHIFT.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM

7,375 posts, read 13,098,172 times
You could wait forever and there will always be something new coming out.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,047,005 times
Rumors are that Verizon will have the iPhone very soon, though Verizon will neither confirm nor deny it. It might be worth waiting for, if you are interested in the iPhone.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,748,153 times
If you Verizon don't get the iphone, the thunderbolt looks great that verizon will be offering.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,174,853 times
Rumor has it Verizon will be announcing the Iphone joining it's ranks tomorrow at a red carpet event in New York, with sales starting on or around February 3rd.

Guess we will find out one way or another, but I am not getting my hopes up until I see it in the stores or online for sale. Should be interesting if it is true though.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,393,444 times
wait!!! the first iphone for verizon will be getting an upgrade in the summertime. That probably also means new android phones and blackberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones