Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

Does IPhone have e-mail capability? If so, it is as good or better than a Blackberry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Does IPhone have e-mail capability? If so, it is as good or better than a Blackberry?
Obviously the IPhone has email capability but if you are asking which is better, it depends on your needs. Another big issue is that the IPhone is on an inferior network (AT&T) that can't support the data adequately. Personally I have played around with the IPhones, Droids, and Blackberries and i'll stick with my blackberry. I love what it does and I know that if I like certain apps, I can download most of them. I don't need 1000 preloaded garbage ones on my phone.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Yes the IPhone has email.

To answer your question is it as good or better than a Blackberry I'd say it's all personal taste. Kindda like Ford vs Chevy.

Check them both out and see which one you like better.I've never had any experience with the Blackberry,but know a lot of people who love their IPhones they just hate AT&T. I haven't bought the IPhone yet because AT&T's service is terrible around here but Verizon is getting the IPhone early next year so I'll wait and see how that turns out.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
i love my phone i have from metro pc as a basic smart phone set up ..it does a lot of the socalled features of a iphone system but half the price of the iphone package from the AT&T ..for the price of my socalled smart phone program is $.50.oo dollars plus about 4.dollars for the ins plan i have and 5.oo dollars in state taxs that i have to pay .so far less than $.60.oo dollars a month i have the phone that does everything i want it to do

the most two features i use on my phone is metronav program and long distance phone calls that i have been doing here a lot ..

Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
The Blackberry is still the best at one thing - corporate email based on Microsoft Exchange. It integrates easily, and syncs everything, email, calendar, tasks, and notes. Blackberry also has the best email security.

iPhones have support for Exchange. Not bad, but not as good as RIM. Same with Android based phones.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
What hoffdano said - BB is good for one thing really - email. Its not a smartphone like an iPhone or Android.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Generally what everyone here is saying is right on point.

Blackberry is very productivity oriented in that it is very much email/calendar centric. It does have plenty of smartphone features as well, but just isn't up there with the iPhone in this regards.

The iPhone has less than ideal email and calendar but is really good at a lot of other things such as games and video. It's alright at web surfing to but lacks flash which is a killer imo. But the phone is constantly getting new apps and thus improving in functionality.

You might want to look at Android and Windows Phones as well. I can only imagine that Windows Phones will be the best with exchange email... but we'll have to see upon launch.

As one poster mentioned, the networks are worth taking into consideration. The iPhone is only on AT&T as of today. It might be worth surveying your friends in the area to find out as it is really regional.

One general thing to note is that AT&T and T-Mobile have the ability to use data and voice at the same time, while Verizon can only do one or the other. Sprint can generally do one or the other in 3G areas, while is capable of both at the same time in 4G areas.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpod View Post
i think iphone is amazing due to its compatability with third party application as well as its easy to operate !
The iPhone is not per se any more compatible with third party applications than others. The Apple App store selection is huge (> 200K apps) but the Android Market is already very large (> 100K apps). Unless you "jailbreak" your phone, you cannot install un-approved apps on the iPhone. Android phones are not necessarily that restricted - but it depends on the carrier.

Apple places very strict rules on software developers for the iPhone. Of course most know Apple specifically prohibits Flash on the iPhone. One advantage of the iPhone vs. Android is that software developers can design for just 2 models of the iPhone. An Android developer must be prepared to write for different display sizes, physical keyboards or touch, etc.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpod View Post
i think iphone is amazing due to its compatability with third party application as well as its easy to operate !
whats up with the insertion of your url in your quote of me? spam much?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Generally what everyone here is saying is right on point.

Blackberry is very productivity oriented in that it is very much email/calendar centric. It does have plenty of smartphone features as well, but just isn't up there with the iPhone in this regards.

The iPhone has less than ideal email and calendar but is really good at a lot of other things such as games and video. It's alright at web surfing to but lacks flash which is a killer imo. But the phone is constantly getting new apps and thus improving in functionality.

You might want to look at Android and Windows Phones as well. I can only imagine that Windows Phones will be the best with exchange email... but we'll have to see upon launch.

As one poster mentioned, the networks are worth taking into consideration. The iPhone is only on AT&T as of today. It might be worth surveying your friends in the area to find out as it is really regional.

One general thing to note is that AT&T and T-Mobile have the ability to use data and voice at the same time, while Verizon can only do one or the other. Sprint can generally do one or the other in 3G areas, while is capable of both at the same time in 4G areas.

That changes on Oct 28th, right? I'm thinking I read that Verizon is offering iPhone coverage on that day. That's in about 7 days, depending on where you are when you read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones