Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

We went to Verizon yesterday and bought new phones (finally). Mrs. Tek got a Droid 2 and I picked up a Droid X.

Today I have earplugs in to keep my brain from melting out through my ears. What a change!!!!!

So far I've downloaded Advanced Task Killer, The Weather Channel, Zedge, Dialer One, Barcode Scanner, and Norton. I've copied a couple of ringtones from my PC and messed with some settings, sounds, etc. I found that Norton will block calls so my contact list now has over 70 fewer contacts, all were named telemarket. What an excellent feature.

I'm looking for a grocery list app, cheapest gas near me app, and maybe a couple of games. I have the feeling there are a ton of things I'll be using so the market is going to be at the top of my list.

Oh, and I found out about scanning barcodes when I found the site about the Norton app and there was a QR code there to link it. Now I know how to scan codes!

I need to figure out if there is a way to skip the stupid swipe when it rings and be able to get to the call directly. Who thought that was a good idea?

So far I'm impressed. I came from an LG EnV and this is like going from DOS 1.1 to Windows 7. We didn't use texting or Internet access previously so that's a change, especially the Internet. I'm finally getting used to the "back" button and what it does although it seems to be inconsistent with either going back one step or clear back to the home screen and I can't figure out the rules.

Can I delete any of the apps that came with this thing? I've already spotted some I'll never use, but it won't let me toss them in the trash (or I'm doing it wrong).

Next is find out how to use it as a GPS like our Garmin so I'll have it available when Mrs. Tek travels for work.

So far I think it's great and I have the feeling I'll like it better if I learn to be consistent with swype and voice. My voice can be gravelly and voice recognition systems seem to not understand what I'm saying.

I don't miss my EnV at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
A couple other essentials, the Newegg app, appbrain (lets you install apps right from the web), google shopper, wi-fi analyzer, pocketcloud (RDP app), oh, and Angry Birds

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you. I chuckled at Angry Birds. Every site where I look at apps has it listed it seems. I guess I need to check it out.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times
I love reading posts from people who are experiencing the smart phones for the first time. It is amazing how they enhance your everyday life. It seems that a lot of people make fun of them until they have them. It is impossible to explain how awesome they are. By the way, this post, along with about 90% of them, is being typed on my phone.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

So far I've downloaded Advanced Task Killer, The Weather Channel, Zedge, Dialer One, Barcode Scanner, and Norton. I've copied a couple of ringtones from my PC and messed with some settings, sounds, etc. I found that Norton will block calls so my contact list now has over 70 fewer contacts, all were named telemarket. What an excellent feature.
First off get rid of Advanced Task Killer. That should be called "ADVANCED BATTERY KILLER". I would say Notron is not needed either but if you like that feature then keep it.

Quote:
I'm looking for a grocery list app, cheapest gas near me app, and maybe a couple of games. I have the feeling there are a ton of things I'll be using so the market is going to be at the top of my list.
Groceries: Get the "Our Groceries" app. You can install it on both Droids and as you add stuff to your list it will show up on the Mrs.'s list, as well. Or, more likely, vice versa.
The problem with cheap gas apps is that it relies on people to enter gas prices. So if no one near you is really doing that it will be out of date quickly.
Quote:
I need to figure out if there is a way to skip the stupid swipe when it rings and be able to get to the call directly. Who thought that was a good idea?
That IS a great idea. Your phone rings. You look at it. Swipe left to answer the call, swipe right to ignore the call and send it to voicemail. What's not to love?

Quote:
Can I delete any of the apps that came with this thing? I've already spotted some I'll never use, but it won't let me toss them in the trash (or I'm doing it wrong).
Oddly no. Most of the stock apps cannot be removed.

Quote:
Next is find out how to use it as a GPS like our Garmin so I'll have it available when Mrs. Tek travels for work.
Easy breezy. Several ways. You can just go into the Navigation app. Or you can use VOICE SEARCH and speak "NAVIGATE TO 2345 Main Street, Anycity, Ohio, 44444".
Works pretty well.

Quote:
So far I think it's great and I have the feeling I'll like it better if I learn to be consistent with swype and voice. My voice can be gravelly and voice recognition systems seem to not understand what I'm saying.
I have a Russian friend with a thick accent and was SHOCKED to find out how well the Droid correctly picked up his voice. Except for the whole "pronounces his v's like w's" issue.

You know you can speak text messages, too? That's fun easy and so damn quick.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a Russian friend with a thick accent and was SHOCKED to find out how well the Droid correctly picked up his voice. Except for the whole "pronounces his v's like w's" issue.
Hello, I am trying to find the nuclear wessels

Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
The one that we incessantly tease him about is:

"Las Wegas".

Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
First off get rid of Advanced Task Killer. That should be called "ADVANCED BATTERY KILLER". I would say Notron is not needed either but if you like that feature then keep it.
So what if anything does one use to get rid of all the apps that seem to feel they have run all the time? I do have the task killer set so it only runs when I tell it to. Still sucking the life out my battery? Yeah, I like Norton. I'm real picky about protecting computers.

Quote:
Groceries: Get the "Our Groceries" app. You can install it on both Droids and as you add stuff to your list it will show up on the Mrs.'s list, as well. Or, more likely, vice versa.
I did download that one. I need to look at it and figure out how it works.

Quote:
The problem with cheap gas apps is that it relies on people to enter gas prices. So if no one near you is really doing that it will be out of date quickly.
I noticed that. Luckily there are people around here putting in prices. Turns out the cheapest close one is the one I use about half the time. The one I use most is a penny more. The cheapest is a bit of a drive so I'll have to figure out if it's financially smart to go there.

Quote:
That IS a great idea. Your phone rings. You look at it. Swipe left to answer the call, swipe right to ignore the call and send it to voicemail. What's not to love?
So now I'm trying to figure out if that's what I do or you're being facetious. I suppose I'll have to wait until someone calls and see...

Quote:
Oddly no. Most of the stock apps cannot be removed.
I'm not all surprised. Crapware on my phone just like on a new computer. At least on a computer you can get rid of it...

Quote:
Easy breezy. Several ways. You can just go into the Navigation app. Or you can use VOICE SEARCH and speak "NAVIGATE TO 2345 Main Street, Anycity, Ohio, 44444".
Works pretty well.
I did putz with some of this last night, but I knew there had to be a quicker way. Thanks.

Quote:

You know you can speak text messages, too? That's fun easy and so damn quick.
I tested it some and the key for me is s l o w speech apparently.

I appreciate all the tips and info!!

I am a bad person.

I downloaded Angry Birds.

Bad Tek, bad.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am a bad person.

I downloaded Angry Birds.

Bad Tek, bad.
I don't think I've found a more enjoyable droid time killer.

I use advanced task killer as well, but very sparingly, the Droid OS is pretty good at memory management on it's own and will kill apps if it needs the room.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,536 times
FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

also, you can get rid of stock apps, but you have to "root" your phone. it gives you access to the system/data folder where most of that stuff resides. just google if your interested in giving that a try. there are some phones that can be rooted just by running a particular app but some require more extensive tinkering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones