Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42120942...ence-security/

I believe texting is the most useless, destructive form of communication. Can't she wait until she's off her shift to return calls and texts! I will not even answer my cell phone while I'm driving.

If my family gripes "why don't you answer your phone" (which they do believe me!) I simply answer that I was driving!!

I mean come on! back in the day we didn't have cell phones and we didn't die if we didn't IMMEDIATELY get a hold of someone. This has got to stop.
Maybe the employers can require the cell phone texting be disabled somehow or texting can't work while in a moving vehicle. I don't know. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
More newsworthy is the driver's adult daughter was charged with assulting a special needs child.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
1,000 texts while driving school bus: cops - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

I believe texting is the most useless, destructive form of communication. Can't she wait until she's off her shift to return calls and texts! I will not even answer my cell phone while I'm driving.

If my family gripes "why don't you answer your phone" (which they do believe me!) I simply answer that I was driving!!

I mean come on! back in the day we didn't have cell phones and we didn't die if we didn't IMMEDIATELY get a hold of someone. This has got to stop.
Maybe the employers can require the cell phone texting be disabled somehow or texting can't work while in a moving vehicle. I don't know. What do you think?
It IS possible to make it to where a cell phone is disabled while the car is in motion but you run into the issue that it would not only disable the bus drivers cell phone but everyone elses phone on the bus too. You can't just disable everyones cell phone cause the bus driver is a tard.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It IS possible to make it to where a cell phone is disabled while the car is in motion but you run into the issue that it would not only disable the bus drivers cell phone but everyone elses phone on the bus too. You can't just disable everyones cell phone cause the bus driver is a tard.
Maybe legal down in Hell, but illegal in the US. You can try to get a permit from the FCC for private property use, but a public transit bus would never qualify as private property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
  • United States: Cell phone blocking devices are used by federal officials under certain circumstances. Privacy rights of property owners may affect the policy and application of law within buildings. The FCC may issue a permit that waives the law for private use. For radio communications, it is illegal to operate, manufacture, import, or offer for sale, including advertising (Communications Act of 1934).[8] Blocking radio communications in public can carry fines of up to $11,000 or imprisonment of up to one year.[9] The Homeland Security Act of 2002 may override the Communications Act of 1934.[10],

Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
What do you think?
I think there are too many threads about texting, and that everybody's opinions are already out there.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
I thought you could put it in the car your kids drive and such and I thought this was a school bus?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
I thought you could put it in the car your kids drive and such and I thought this was a school bus?
You can't legally use a cell phone jammer in your car and I doubt the FCC would ever issue you a permit if you disclosed your intention to use it in a mobile vehicle. You would be interfering with the cell phone signals of every vehicle you passed. Could be funny, but not legal.

As far as the bus driver's punishment, they should give her the option to keep her job, but only if she agrees to have her thumbs amputated!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
The current method would only work on the cell phone that it's enabled on. But it would be difficult to enforce. The requirement of having it on all cell phones is currently pending (in the US).

So, yes, if it is required on all cell phones, then even passengers would not be able to make calls while the car is in motion.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
You can't legally use a cell phone jammer in your car and I doubt the FCC would ever issue you a permit if you disclosed your intention to use it in a mobile vehicle. You would be interfering with the cell phone signals of every vehicle you passed. Could be funny, but not legal.

As far as the bus driver's punishment, they should give her the option to keep her job, but only if she agrees to have her thumbs amputated!
The current method does no use a jammer. It is software that runs on the cell phone and uses GPS to determine motion. When motion goes above 15mph or whatever, it disables the phone.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
While I agree texting and driving is not the smartest thing to do: calling it a useless and destructive form of communication is just ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones