U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM

2,039 posts, read 5,212,769 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to cancel a phone account without having it hurt my credit. I have been with TMobile since 1999 but find their service and their phones getting worse. This year I have three lines and two of my phones are horrible! I have to continue to power off, etc to have the phone work properly.

I want to do what is legal and pay to cancel or whatever needs to be done, I just do not want it to hurt my credit.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 PM

8,162 posts, read 14,004,706 times
Firstly, cell phones have no effect on your credit. They only way it would is if it was turned over to a collection agency. Secondly, if your reception is bad and you contact T-Mobile or any other company, they have to check the problem in your area or the phone. If they determine that it is your area, they will let you out of your contract. Otherwise they will tell you what the early termination fees are per line(ETF). Feel free to contact them, i'm sure they will give you all the info needed.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM

8,258 posts, read 12,022,355 times
I have been with Verizon for 9 years and I jsut switched to the new Samsung on T-mobile. I can tell you I have had the Razor,The Voyager(5), the Envy(4), and the Droid(3) They are the worse phones imaginable. with customer service that could care less.. They are eliminating all the service people from their stores, while T-Mobile is adding them.

I dare say you will be very disatisfied moving.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,729,093 times
i tried t-mobile once after verizon took over alltel, a company i'd been with for over 10 years.

the t-mobile service was terrible. after 3 months, i called them and explained that their coverage was awful, and they let me out of my contract.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,658,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Secondly, if your reception is bad and you contact T-Mobile or any other company, they have to check the problem in your area or the phone.
The rest of your post was correct, but this part is wrong. They are under no obligation to check or even ensure coverage. The contract states that service is not available everywhere, and by signing said contract, you agreed to be bound by those terms. This isn't just T-Mobile; EVERY carrier has this, because they simply can not accurately predict coverage in every corner of every building in every neighborhood in every city.

By signing your contract, you are waiving most of your rights and relieving the carrier of most of their obligations.

But otherwise, yes, you are correct -- an early termination has zero impact on your credit report unless the bill goes unpaid.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
They are under no obligation to check or even ensure coverage. The contract states that service is not available everywhere, and by signing said contract, you agreed to be bound by those terms. This isn't just T-Mobile;

True, but I can say from my experience, t-mobile did verify that coverage was horrible in my area and released me from the contract.

i seriously doubt any other company would do that, but t-mobile's customer service was great.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
The rest of your post was correct, but this part is wrong. They are under no obligation to check or even ensure coverage. The contract states that service is not available everywhere, and by signing said contract, you agreed to be bound by those terms. This isn't just T-Mobile; EVERY carrier has this, because they simply can not accurately predict coverage in every corner of every building in every neighborhood in every city.

By signing your contract, you are waiving most of your rights and relieving the carrier of most of their obligations.

But otherwise, yes, you are correct -- an early termination has zero impact on your credit report unless the bill goes unpaid.
You are wrong about checking your area. They will analyze dropped calls and if they see an issue someone will check the area to see if there is poor reception or a recent change. If your home area does not have sufficient reception, they will allow you out of your contract. It does not have to be checked when you sign your contract and it is not a tough luck case if you already signed on the dotted line. I worked for verizon wireless a few years back so I know the telecommunications guideline for adequate reception standards. All 4 majors go by this standard but will also offer you a choice to purchase network extenders to possibly clear up the problem.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,658,966 times
Quote:
You are wrong about checking your area.
I'm not wrong; you're mis-reading my post.

Note the difference between "will" and "have to". I'm not saying they WON'T check coverage, and I'm not saying they WON'T let you out because of poor service, I'm saying that they don't HAVE TO do anything. The post I was replying to said "have to", and that's what I was correcting. The carriers are under exactly zero obligation to do so -- but that doesn't mean they can't.

This is expressly spelled out in your contract. Many consumers are under a common misconception that their service is somehow guaranteed because "they have a contract" -- when in reality the contract states the exact opposite.

TL/DR: "have to" is different from "may"

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
All 4 majors go by this standard but will also offer you a choice to purchase network extenders to possibly clear up the problem.
t-mobile did try to have me purchase one of these devices to connect to my home network before letting me out of my contract, but my ISP could not offer me upload speeds fast enough where i lived to use it.

i don't know if they verified that; i told them so, and they said "ok", and procedeed to cancel my account.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
t-mobile did try to have me purchase one of these devices to connect to my home network before letting me out of my contract, but my ISP could not offer me upload speeds fast enough where i lived to use it.

i don't know if they verified that; i told them so, and they said "ok", and procedeed to cancel my account.
Glad to hear that they didn't give you a hard time. Honestly you should ask people you know(not sales people) which carrier they have to determine how their coverage is. I travel all over the U.S.and my friend and I have had all 4 majors. You can use the maps or not but based on reception and not the best deal Verizon had the best coverage in the US, Sprint was 2nd, AT&T 3rd, T-Mobile 4th. Even with the merger between AT&T and T-Mobile the reception wont change. Verizon and Sprint had far more of their own towers than AT&T and T-Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones