U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,893 posts, read 12,053,453 times
Reputation: 10670

Advertisements

I don't know because I just bought my first smart phone yesterday, but after 1-1/2 days of utter frustration, I'm thinking there should be classes you can take in how to use these things. They showed me a few things at the store but so quickly that my brain could barely process the info. I think I'm going back and refusing to leave until someone sits down and explains a few more things to me.

Does anyone know if there are such things a classes for this stuff? I thought I was pretty tech savvy, but my smart phone makes me feel like an idiot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,664,197 times
Reputation: 1015
The store that you bought it from should be more than happy to help you out. It used to be that the corporate-owned stores were a lot more consumer-oriented than the agents (resellers like Best Buy or "that guy in the mall"), but IMHO, this is no longer the case.

If they give you any grief or won't answer your questions, ask them what their return policy is.

Bear in mind that many people find one particular brand of phone or OS infuriating, then get along just fine on another. I personally prefer my Motorola Droid -- it's simple, fast, and everything just works without hassle. Other people prefer Blackberry OS, or even iOS. When you go back to the store, try playing around with some of the other devices. You may find that a different model, brand, or OS is a lot easier to work with. There is no "right" device for everyone, it's entirely subjective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 4,988,139 times
Reputation: 1691
Buy a teenage relative lunch and have them school you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,893 posts, read 12,053,453 times
Reputation: 10670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Buy a teenage relative lunch and have them school you?
Love the idea, but don't have any teenage relatives, and my only relatives here don't have smart phones.

There is, however, a rent-a-teen program going on at my church to help them earn money for a mission trip. That would be a great thing to rent one for!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,869 posts, read 15,921,025 times
Reputation: 10168
I like the rent a teen thing but if there is anything specific you need, feel free to ask here. Folks are pretty helpful here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,893 posts, read 12,053,453 times
Reputation: 10670
On a whim today, I visited a different Verizon store and got a wonderful woman who sat down with me and helped me with my questions and frustrations. I learned SO much! Not only that, but she told me about the Support tab on their website where I can select my phone and get a "how to" simulator. I don't think I'm going to be needing that teenager now, but I will come here and ask questions from time to time -- or maybe even answer a few!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,563 posts, read 10,445,968 times
Reputation: 4243
It just takes a little practice and practical experience. Come back in six weeks and tell us how it's gotten better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,318 posts, read 23,747,495 times
Reputation: 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I don't know because I just bought my first smart phone yesterday, but after 1-1/2 days of utter frustration, I'm thinking there should be classes you can take in how to use these things. They showed me a few things at the store but so quickly that my brain could barely process the info. I think I'm going back and refusing to leave until someone sits down and explains a few more things to me.

Does anyone know if there are such things a classes for this stuff? I thought I was pretty tech savvy, but my smart phone makes me feel like an idiot.
What phone did you get? Not all smart phones are the same. I went to a Blackberry from a "dumb" phone (it wasn't even a feature phone), and found it fairly simple to use/navigate. Then I went to an Android phone and wanted to throw that thing into the trash. Everything on the Android phone was not as "easy" or straight-forward as it was with the Blackberry. I got used to the Android phone after a few days, but returned it a week later and got another Blackberry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Greater Greenville, SC
5,893 posts, read 12,053,453 times
Reputation: 10670
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What phone did you get? Not all smart phones are the same. I went to a Blackberry from a "dumb" phone (it wasn't even a feature phone), and found it fairly simple to use/navigate. Then I went to an Android phone and wanted to throw that thing into the trash. Everything on the Android phone was not as "easy" or straight-forward as it was with the Blackberry. I got used to the Android phone after a few days, but returned it a week later and got another Blackberry.
The first thing I tried in the store was a Blackberry, and I quickly determined that it just wasn't going to work for me, as the keyboard was way too tiny for my fingers.

We determined that the best option for what I wanted was an Android phone that also had a keyboard. I ended up getting an LG Ally. Read a lot of bad reviews about it after I got home, but so far I'm really liking it, and I think it's a good choice if you're just transitioning into a touch screen Droid or iPhone.

Since I went back to the store and got a little more training on it, I'm finding that I'm now using the touch screen more than the keyboard. They both have their pluses. So far, so good. I think I'll keep it but will probably put in a larger micro SD card.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
 
7,373 posts, read 13,753,161 times
Reputation: 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Love the idea, but don't have any teenage relatives, and my only relatives here don't have smart phones.

There is, however, a rent-a-teen program going on at my church to help them earn money for a mission trip. That would be a great thing to rent one for!
lol rent a teen program.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top