U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM

42 posts, read 81,039 times

Advertisements

My husband got me thinking about this the other day...

Do any of you remember that episode of StarTrek:TNG (I know- I just outted myself as a nerd) where someone brought back this virtual reality game that made everyone mindless?

My DH equated the use of smart phones today with the way people were acting on that episode. If you look around... it's partially true! You see entire families out to eat with each other and all of them have their faces buried in their phones- not paying attention to each other at all. Kids at school can't go more than 10 minutes away from their Iphones. Adults are just as guilty.

I try to avoid conspiracy theories, but how close do you think we are to having everyday technology, accessible by the common man, that could be used to brainwash the public?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,240,498 times
Hail to the Angry Avian Overlords!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Hail to the Angry Avian Overlords!

Ha ha! Angry Birds. Yes! That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM

I just found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gam...ext_Generation)

Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,158,635 times
The Game. I remember that episode. You may be on to something , given the fact they now have rudimentary 'neural interfaces' built into phones and a car in Germany. Truthfully , I wouldn't put it past the 'bigwigs' , whose prime directive is to accumulate material wealth. Not to sound snide , but a technique known as 'disinformation' has been around for decades. Think about all of these commercials , 'black Friday' hysteria , and other examples of herd mentality , and using either mine , or your own form of deductive reasoning , will be closer to the answer. I used to be the same way - desiring to keep up with others - until I got older and began to quietly observe things around me. Now , I can say with some degree of certainty , I'm at least partially hip to the game that is afoot.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 AM

575 posts, read 920,122 times
Quote:
This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, Ben, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em *what they want*! We're number one, Ben, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years

- Damon Killian - The Running Man
We've already got mind control.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,057,136 times
More proof that Democracy doesn't work. Given the freedom to do so, people will always abdicate their authority, and turn it over to some higher power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones