U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM

3,521 posts, read 8,519,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
As for those limited data plans.....in my opinion they are worth it. If you are indoors, you can have your data go over wi-fi, which will not deduct your allotted monthly quota (but it will deduct minutes, and, I believe, texts).

If you are not a teenager, or one who is "addicted" to social media, 200 mb a month should be more than plenty.
For whatever it is worth, I'm not a teenager and I'm never on Facebook or other similar social media, and I use A LOT more than 200 MB/month every month (at least 2-3 times that amount and sometimes more) on my Motorola DROID 2 on Verizon. I don't even stream audio or video that often (audio rarely, video practically never), but checking my e-mails, using various applications (like MLB At Bat '11) fairly often, and sometimes looking at web content consumes a lot of memory.

(To be fair, I do not use Wi-Fi because with Verizon that's an additional $20/month on top of the $30/month unlimited data plan. Most of the time 3G speeds are acceptable for what I need/want to do.)

Last edited by CHIP72; 05-01-2011 at 09:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,719,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
When thinking about the value of a smartphone, it is helpful to think of it as what it really is, which is a pocket/microcomputer that can make phone calls, rather than as an enhanced phone. (Everyone who already has a smartphone is probably saying "no duh", but I think people without smartphones don't conceptually think of smartphones as microcomputers.)
I think you bring up a very important point.

Smartphones make life simpler, really. Yesterday I went into NYC. I was supposed to hang out with some friends at a particular bar and scout for some girls. The bar turned out to be a dud and was almost completely empty. Anyone who goes out in NYC knows that one day a bar can be a hit while another it's a miss for no apparent reason. The fact that I could just look up what the happening places were within minutes and head that way really made the night excellent.

Just one example.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 AM

13,222 posts, read 15,301,556 times
That's another thing about internet forums that anonoys me.
Yea a Smartphone may not be worth it to someone that makes $25,000 a year. But what about the guy pulling down $70K and living in an inexpensive market like Cleveland? Chump change.
Or for someone like me that gets it all free through his job?

I hate posts when someone is like "I can't believe people..."

(just a few things I have read on C-Data in the past few months)
  • Pay to rent movies
  • Buy DVD's
  • Pay $2,000 for a computer
  • Pay for Satellite Radio
  • Pay for Netflix
Tip: Some of us on these forums make good money so $8-$12 a month for Netflix isn't a huge expense.

As I said before, and I can't believe this thread has gone for so long... we are all different and we all have different income levels. No it doesn't make sense for everyone to have a smartphone. But if you can afford one, and you want one, they are nice to have.

Last edited by Peregrine; 05-02-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 AM

28,721 posts, read 42,805,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think you bring up a very important point.

Smartphones make life simpler, really. Yesterday I went into NYC. I was supposed to hang out with some friends at a particular bar and scout for some girls. The bar turned out to be a dud and was almost completely empty. Anyone who goes out in NYC knows that one day a bar can be a hit while another it's a miss for no apparent reason. The fact that I could just look up what the happening places were within minutes and head that way really made the night excellent.

Just one example.
We both have smart phones (Droid 2 and Droid X), and use a lot of the features. One of the deciding factors for us was the ability to use them as a GPS navigator. We have a Garmin, but Mrs. Tek is traveling a lot (A lot!) and she takes it with her. Having a smart phone lets me use GPS without having a second Garmin. We are also planning on traveling after she retires next year so they will be handy for Internet access on the road, etc.

Of course Angry Birds just happened to end up on them as well.

I find it to be an extraordinary tool.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM

28,721 posts, read 42,805,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's another thing about internet forums that anonoys me.
Yea a Smartphone may not be worth it to someone that makes $25,000 a year. But what about the guy pulling down $70K and living in an inexpensive market like Cleveland? Chump change.
Or for someone like me that gets it all free through his job?

I hate posts when someone is like "I can't believe people..."

(just a few things I have read on C-Data in the past few months)
  • Pay to rent movies
  • Buy DVD's
  • Pay $2,000 for a computer
  • Pay for Satellite Radio
  • Pay for Netflix
Tip: Some of us on these forums make good money so $8-$12 a month for Netflix isn't a huge expense.

As I said before, and I can't believe this thread has gone for so long... we are all different and we all have different income levels. No it doesn't make sense for everyone to have a smartphone. But if you can afford one, and you want one, they are nice to have.
Agreed 100%.

Just because someone can't, or won't, justify spending the money for a "toy" or a service doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't. Why is it these people feel the need to tell the rest of us how to spend our money?

I get irritated when someone thinks anyone not living on either the east or west coast has no need for cable Internet or a smart phone. What planet do they live on? La-La?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM

34,803 posts, read 31,921,032 times
Smart Phones aren't worth it... to YOU, OP.

Doesn't mean they're not worth it to people who actually utilize the many features of the device.

That pretty much sums it up.

I think that cable TV is a worthless expense. I've not had cable in 4 years.

That said, I wouldn't say it is universally worthless. Just worthless to ME.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
For whatever it is worth, I'm not a teenager and I'm never on Facebook or other similar social media, and I use A LOT more than 200 MB/month every month (at least 2-3 times that amount and sometimes more) on my Motorola DROID 2 on Verizon. I don't even stream audio or video that often (audio rarely, video practically never), but checking my e-mails, using various applications (like MLB At Bat '11) fairly often, and sometimes looking at web content consumes a lot of memory.

(To be fair, I do not use Wi-Fi because with Verizon that's an additional $20/month on top of the $30/month unlimited data plan. Most of the time 3G speeds are acceptable for what I need/want to do.)
Hmmm...there seems to be some confusion on my, or your, part. Verizon does offer a wifi "hotspot" service, that does cost an additional monthly payment, but if I am not mistaken, this service is primarily for laptops and/or picking up wifi in areas that are prioritized (i.e., where you have to pay to use wifi; airports, some coffee shops, etc.). All other wifi spots should be free, and your Droid 2 can use them.

I don't pay a dime to Verizon to connect my phone to wifi in my home, at my GFs place, at school, at the bar/restaurant/music venue I frequent, and many other places. The data that goes over these connections also does not show up on my bill, so it is possible that I use more than 200mb. Doesn't matter anyways since I pay for "unlimited' data.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,262,691 times
Virgin Mobile has an LG smart phone with Android 2.2 for $200. You can get a plan for 300 anytime minutes with unlimited text, data, email and web for $25 month. For $40 bucks, you get 1200 anytime minutes.

Additional Features

• Android 2.2™ platform
  • 600 MHz Processor
  • Video
  • Speakerphone
  • Bluetooth®
  • MP3
  • Speech To Text
  • SCVNGR
  • Where®
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture Messaging
  • Ringback Tones
  • Email and Instant Messaging
  • Ringtones
  • Games
  • Graphics
And Virgin Mobile leases Sprint network.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

921 posts, read 1,622,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Or are they? Looking for someone to poke holes in my figures:

The cheapest smartphone plan I can find is at least $75/phone. Even then, the data limit is around 2GB. Add tethering (assuming I'm not sneaky enough to get around it) and that's an extra $20, plus some plans which charge extra for android (+$10/mo).

virgin mobile ..$25/month..unlimited data/text, 300 talk minutes

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,719,470 times
The virgin mobile is good if you can live within 300 minutes. Thats a lot less than the pre-pay plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones