U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 32,216,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Or are they? Looking for someone to poke holes in my figures:
Notwithstanding the cost, I do not *want* a smartphone. I use a phone to make phone calls and do maybe 3 - 4 texts per month.

I absolutely, positively could not care less about APPs. I don't care what the DOW is doing or checking Facebook on my phone, or what the temperature in Beirut is at any particular time of day.

I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up gently or remind me to stretch when I am working at my computer, and I don't want my phone keeping track of my caloric intake or how many calories I have burned. I don't need something to CONSTANTLY check my gmail to let me know the *instant* an email message comes in.

I don't much care when iTunes adds a new song, and since I don't go to movies, I don't care what is playing or when showtimes are. I don't even care where the cheapest gas in my town is, because I buy my gas at the same gas station every time.

All of this is just a waste of time, money and effort. I DO want a phone that has buttons instead of touch screen because you cannot operate a touch screen without looking at it, and very rarely I do answer a phone call while driving. I definitely want to be able to do it by touch alone. (I have not had much luck with bluetooth headsets).

I am seriously looking into one of these pay as you go things (Net10 or Straighttalk). I would prefer to stay on the Verizon network because they are the closest towers to where I live (which is out in the middle of nowhere).

So, I agree with your statement 100 percent that smartphones are NOT worth it.

20yrsinBranson
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,251,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The virgin mobile is good if you can live within 300 minutes. Thats a lot less than the pre-pay plans.
Quote:
Virgin Mobile has an LG smart phone with Android 2.2 for $200. You can get a plan for 300 anytime minutes with unlimited text, data, email and web for $25 month. For $40 bucks, you get 1200 anytime minutes.
$60 bucks, unlimited.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,670,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
[url="http://virginmobileusa.com/"]
$60 bucks, unlimited.
Yea, but for $60 it's not longer a great deal. Sprint EPRP would typically be a better value.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,251,090 times
Quote:
Yea, but for $60 it's not longer a great deal. Sprint EPRP would typically be a better value.
Whatever works for you. VM leases Sprint air time. Though, there's no contract, month to month only.

Enjoy !

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM

28,718 posts, read 42,742,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Notwithstanding the cost, I do not *want* a smartphone. I use a phone to make phone calls and do maybe 3 - 4 texts per month.

I absolutely, positively could not care less about APPs. I don't care what the DOW is doing or checking Facebook on my phone, or what the temperature in Beirut is at any particular time of day.

I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up gently or remind me to stretch when I am working at my computer, and I don't want my phone keeping track of my caloric intake or how many calories I have burned. I don't need something to CONSTANTLY check my gmail to let me know the *instant* an email message comes in.

I don't much care when iTunes adds a new song, and since I don't go to movies, I don't care what is playing or when showtimes are. I don't even care where the cheapest gas in my town is, because I buy my gas at the same gas station every time.

All of this is just a waste of time, money and effort. I DO want a phone that has buttons instead of touch screen because you cannot operate a touch screen without looking at it, and very rarely I do answer a phone call while driving. I definitely want to be able to do it by touch alone. (I have not had much luck with bluetooth headsets).

I am seriously looking into one of these pay as you go things (Net10 or Straighttalk). I would prefer to stay on the Verizon network because they are the closest towers to where I live (which is out in the middle of nowhere).

So, I agree with your statement 100 percent that smartphones are NOT worth it

20yrsinBranson
You forgot to add "for me"

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM

8,162 posts, read 13,806,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Whatever works for you. VM leases Sprint air time. Though, there's no contract, month to month only.

Enjoy !
Here's the tradeoff: If you have no contract, you are paying a premium price for the phone because that's how they make their money. If you are on a contract you get a discount on the phone because monthly service is how they make their money.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,670,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Here's the tradeoff: If you have no contract, you are paying a premium price for the phone because that's how they make their money. If you are on a contract you get a discount on the phone because monthly service is how they make their money.
Overall, VM is still cheaper at the $25 price point if you can live within 300 minutes.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 AM

9,745 posts, read 15,107,491 times
I'm with Verizon and have a smart phone with unlimited text, picture/video messaging, and an unlimited data plan. I only have 450 minutes, but I think the most I've ever used was less than 200. I text a decent amount, and I use the internet on my phone quite often (more than I thought I would). Before the smart phone and the unlimited data plan, my bill was just under $70 per month. The data plan added $30. So yes, my bill is quite high, but I have no family members who use Verizon so I have no one to split a bill with. For home internet use, I have a land line and a DSL modem, which is $44 per month. When I signed up for that I couldn't get DSL without a land line (which I literally never use), and I didn't want or need cable tv and cable internet alone was about the same as DSL with the land line. But now, with my smart phone I can tether to my computer for free, so I really don't need the $44 per month DSL and land line any more. The only reason I still have it is because my brother lives with me and wouldn't have internet access without it unless I was at home, and much of the time when he's here I'm not, and vice versa. So if I can figure out a way to drop the land line and DSL service, I'll actually be saving $14 per month by having a smart phone, with the added benefit of having internet access, in some form another, any time I need it.

I also tried Verizon's mobile Hotspot briefly, and within two days I had already used about half of my 3gb alloted data somehow. Why is it unlimited for $30 for smart phones but not for the Hotspot?

Edit: I should also add that the 3G internet on my phone is usually quite a bit faster than my DSL connection, and always works. When there's a storm, clouds, and/or lightening my DSL service goes in and out, and sometimes just stops working altogether. Sometimes I wonder how they can charge more than $5 for that.

Last edited by Lamplight; 05-15-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,262,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. I don't think so. Not for my needs. I am sure some business person could justify the extra expense.

I have a regular cell phone - pretty much unlimited minutes, unlimited texts (including pictures, etc), and I never drop a call (and I always have the best signal out of any group of people I'm with)...for about $60 a month.

To go up to a smart phone where all the features are enabled to be used fluidly and realistically, I'd have to go up to at least $100 a month (like my wife's iphone plan).

I have internet at home. I have internet at work. I have internet in my car (as well as Nav/Onstar)...why the F would I need a smart phone?
I have Sprint HTC Evo with unlimited everything and it's $8 cheaper than your phone bill.

Dont' necessarily writ off smart phones as being super expensive. I did that for a while assuming I'd be spending over $100 a month for what I really wanted.

With Sprints unlimited everything plan and a good corporate discount I'm paying $52 a month

Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,706,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Quote:
Overall, VM is still cheaper at the $25 price point if you can live within 300 minutes.
This is correct, though new customers it's now $35 a month (300 mins)... Unlimited everything is now $55 a month. The in between is $45 a month (1200 minutes)

It's still cheaper... even if you purchase the Optimus V for $150 (but can be found cheaper on Amazon and eBay).

$150 for the phone
$35 a month for 24 months = $840
Total for cost of phone and 2 years of service: $990.

I'll even use my own example.
We were on Verizon's POOPY family plan.. we paid like $125 (sometimes $130, lol) a month and always chose the "FREE" phone as our upgrades.

Phone costs: $0
24 Months @ $125: $3000
Total cost: $3000

We are on Virgin Mobile now, we have the LG Optimus that we paid $150 each for. We joined before the rates increased, so we are paying $25 a month.

Phone costs: $300 (2 phones @ $150)
24 months @ $50 ($25 per phone): $1200
Total cost: $1500

It's still cheaper this way, and we always chose the FREE phone upgrade. You mentioned you get your phone "DISCOUNTED" in your 2 year contract. Sometimes that means paying $200 for a "$600" phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones