U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,564 posts, read 10,253,816 times
Reputation: 4243

Advertisements

Prepaid 1,200 Minutes + 2,000 Text/MMS Messages + 100 MB Data, At $29.95 a month, 3rd party Verizon line lease. I don't use the Network but I do use WiFi for data so no impact on the 100 MB download.

And the GPS pegs me to within 6 meters.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans.aspx

The cool part is, I used to pay $85 a month for 400 minutes, some text and unlimited data. But I use about ten minutes a month voice, little text and suitable data. I cancelled that service and Page Plus accepted my paid for Droid to use on their plan.

Also, check out MetroPCS. They'll flash a phone to their service for ten bucks and they have reasonable rates as well.

The days of contracts may be on their way out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,603,827 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The days of contracts may be on their way out.
I doubt it. Remember who runs the networks that feed the MVNOs. If you use Virgin Mobile, you're still using Sprint. If you use SIMple Mobile, you're using T-Mobile. And while some of the smaller carriers like MetroPCS do run their own network, they simply lack the financials and bandwidth to mount (or even survive) head-to-head nationally against the Big Four.

Don't get me wrong, the MVNOs are still a killer deal. If you need service on a budget, Virgin Mobile is really tough to beat. But the moment they start stealing a significant number of customers from their host, things will change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
 
7,943 posts, read 7,440,506 times
Reputation: 5862
Totally depends on what your needs are and what you want. However it's undeniable the general trend is toward smartphones/multi-function devices and away from "dumb phones". The technology will continue to evolve, becoming cheaper and more accessible to everyone, while basic phones will continue to be marginalized in terms of cellular market share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 AM
 
645 posts, read 1,169,388 times
Reputation: 1778
I have no reason to have a cell phone, so I don't have one.

Magic Jack is cheap
Land lines are inexpensive as well.

In my opinion, 90% of the worlds population has bought into the "Gotta' have a cell phone" B/S that the powers that be/wealthy elite have sold them. It's just a way to part you from your cash. Great business thinkers, "If there's not market for that new invention of yours, create one!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 AM
 
24,497 posts, read 37,682,327 times
Reputation: 12881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I have no reason to have a cell phone, so I don't have one.

Magic Jack is cheap
Land lines are inexpensive as well.

In my opinion, 90% of the worlds population has bought into the "Gotta' have a cell phone" B/S that the powers that be/wealthy elite have sold them. It's just a way to part you from your cash. Great business thinkers, "If there's not market for that new invention of yours, create one!"
That logic can be applied to all modern advances. It's seriously flawed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,603,827 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Magic Jack is cheap Land lines are inexpensive as well.
Use your landline or Magicjack to call 911 when you've just wrecked 30 miles from home. Let us know how that works out for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,603,827 times
Reputation: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That logic can be applied to all modern advances. It's seriously flawed.
Not to mention that landlines are substantially more expensive than wireless these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,170 posts, read 15,269,436 times
Reputation: 9280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I have no reason to have a cell phone, so I don't have one.

In my opinion, 90% of the worlds population has bought into the "Gotta' have a cell phone" B/S that the powers that be/wealthy elite have sold them. It's just a way to part you from your cash. Great business thinkers, "If there's not market for that new invention of yours, create one!"
Good luck finding a pay phone when your car breaks down in the ghetto....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
 
30,963 posts, read 37,249,716 times
Reputation: 42109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's not true. Cell phones are just as good as landline.
Until you lose power for several days in a storm.

Been there done that. Not going there again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
 
30,963 posts, read 37,249,716 times
Reputation: 42109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
When there's a storm, clouds, and/or lightening my DSL service goes in and out, and sometimes just stops working altogether. Sometimes I wonder how they can charge more than $5 for that.
That's really odd. I practically never lose DSL. It's well known around here to be far more reliable than cable. As long as I have power, it's up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top