U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: iPhone or Android?
iPhone 14 34.15%
Android 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 AM

8,162 posts, read 13,407,602 times

Advertisements

Here's the problem with this question; IPhone is a phone, Android is an operating system with many different phones on it. Samsung, Motorola, and HTC are a few that have android phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,237,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Here's the problem with this question; IPhone is a phone, Android is an operating system with many different phones on it. Samsung, Motorola, and HTC are a few that have android phones.
Although you're right that one is a device and the other is an OS.... this is a very valid question. The OP is basically asking which platform is better. Also, the iPhone platform has various versions available right now.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,262,968 times
iphone is also an OS (iOS)

Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM

12,026 posts, read 14,150,807 times
Quote:
*snap*
(Places tongue in cheek)
No, that's not a problem. The problem is people that feel the need to correct someone every time they say Droid but mean Android. or vice versa.
99.9999% of us are intelligent enough to understand that the poster means an Android phone when he says a Droid phone.
The manufacturers are even the ones guilty of spreading this misinformation as every single damn one of them sells an Android phone that is called a Droid.
Even Samsung has got into the Droid game.
The Samsung Droid Charge.
The HTC Droid Incredible 2.
Motorola Droid 1, 2, X....

Could we just stop? From this point forward could we all just understand unless someone is talking specifically about the ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEM that they are refering to ANDROID PHONES when they say DROID. or vice versa... mmm'kay? No? ok.... hehehehe
*snap off.

(All in good fun, no offense intended to posters, all offense intended to the marketing genius at Google, Motorola, HTC, Samsung etc etc etc)

Last edited by Peregrine; 05-18-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
iphone is also an OS (iOS)
I think you are missing the point. Apple makes the IPhone but just like Blackberries, RIM is the ONLY company that makes it. So it is a phone made by one company and it has its own operating system. Android phones are made by multiple companies including Motorola, HTC and Samsung (not sure how many total companies make droid phones) and they have different processing speeds, features, and weight; so they are completely different.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

12,026 posts, read 14,150,807 times

The question SHOULD be:
Is the Motorola Droid 1 better then an iPhone?
No.
Is the HTC Thunderbolt better then an iPhone.
Yes.
What about a Droid X?
Maybe.
Droid Incredible?
No.
Droid Incredible 2?
Yes.

(Yea, it can be confusing... lol)

Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,827,780 times
I've thought about it and I'm more indecisive than ever.

I do want the iPhone, then I want the Android HTC Inspire 4G phone. Gah, I hate not being able to decide on something.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,262,968 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. Apple makes the IPhone but just like Blackberries, RIM is the ONLY company that makes it. So it is a phone made by one company and it has its own operating system. Android phones are made by multiple companies including Motorola, HTC and Samsung (not sure how many total companies make droid phones) and they have different processing speeds, features, and weight; so they are completely different.
I'm in the business. I know.

I see a lot of phones (some that are yet to be released in the states)
Just my personal opinion, but the (T-Mobile) G2X and the iPhone are the only phones I would consider. (And sprint doesn't carry either- yet).
Sprint is releasing a new product line up early in June. Hopefully there will be something there worth getting.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,237,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
*snap*
(Places tongue in cheek)
No, that's not a problem. The problem is people that feel the need to correct someone every time they say Droid but mean Android. or vice versa.
99.9999% of us are intelligent enough to understand that the poster means an Android phone when he says a Droid phone.
The manufacturers are even the ones guilty of spreading this misinformation as every single damn one of them sells an Android phone that is called a Droid.
Even Samsung has got into the Droid game.
The Samsung Droid Charge.
The HTC Droid Incredible 2.
Motorola Droid 1, 2, X....

Could we just stop? From this point forward could we all just understand unless someone is talking specifically about the ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEM that they are refering to ANDROID PHONES when they say DROID. or vice versa... mmm'kay? No? ok.... hehehehe
*snap off.

(All in good fun, no offense intended to posters, all offense intended to the marketing genius at Google, Motorola, HTC, Samsung etc etc etc)
Nah, Droids are subsets of Android phones. Using Droids to mean Androids are like using Square to mean all rectangles or using circle to mean all ovals. It's incorrect no matter how you try to justify it.

Quote:
The OP is clearly talking about platforms. Even though the terminology is slightly off, it's a valid question. It's not as incorrect as calling all Android platform phones Droids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

The question SHOULD be:
Is the Motorola Droid 1 better then an iPhone?
No.
Is the HTC Thunderbolt better then an iPhone.
Yes.
What about a Droid X?
Maybe.
Droid Incredible?
No.
Droid Incredible 2?
Yes.

(Yea, it can be confusing... lol)
That's just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm in the business. I know.

I see a lot of phones (some that are yet to be released in the states)
Just my personal opinion, but the (T-Mobile) G2X and the iPhone are the only phones I would consider. (And sprint doesn't carry either- yet).
Sprint is releasing a new product line up early in June. Hopefully there will be something there worth getting.
Your previous post made you sound like you were way off. (calling iPhone an OS).

Sprint has the EVO 3D and the Nexus S that look promising. My friend works for a company that does a particular marketing aspect for these companies (not going to mention what they do...nothing related to the development of the phone). My friend has been playing with the EVO 3d since Friday. He won't tell me much, but the exclusive software (games) on the hardware is supposedly really slick.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM

44,213 posts, read 54,401,471 times
My issue with the iphone is that it doesn't do well what it's meant to do - make freakin' phone calls. I cannot tell you the number of times I've been in a crowd of iphone users and I am the only one who can actually make an effin' phone call.

However, the ap market is better for the iphone than the android platform.

Both of them practically require you to live with your charger. How lame is that? I know people who have several sets of chargers (for work, for home, etc) because they are constantly having to charge the damn phone.

I'll just sit here with my sad little 5 year-old Motorola SLVR until someone figures out a way to make everything awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones