U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: iPhone or Android?
iPhone 14 34.15%
Android 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
44,138 posts, read 54,259,231 times
Reputation: 72911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Dialing out was important to them (you should see their testing facility for resonance and signal degradation/attenuation) but it wasn't the most important component. It's quite clear that Apple is not a cell phone company, they're a microchip and innovation company. They found a market and pounced. The fact that it isn't solely a phone with bells and whistles is the reason they are so popular. It's more like a mini computer with the addition of a phone, not the other way around.

Although to say "it isn't meant to be a phone" when it is very clearly labeled as such is a little irrational
Agreed. I mean, the whole point is that it does make phone calls. You get it when you go to buy a cell phone. The fact that it is sh*tty at making phone calls (and that you'd be better off carrying a computer and a phone 'designed to be a phone') is kinda silly.

And lol...the iphone wasn't designed to be a phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
3,459 posts, read 8,273,234 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Although to say "it isn't meant to be a phone" when it is very clearly labeled as such is a little irrational
Taking statements out of context isn't exactly the rational thing to do either.

I guess I should have said "the iPhone is meant to be a computer that you put in your pocket moreso than a phone".

Last edited by CHIP72; 05-19-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,286 posts, read 13,839,253 times
Reputation: 11592
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The iPhones (and for that matter most of the Android devices) is meant to be a computer you can carry in your pocket, not a phone. Why do you think Apple, a computer company, built the iPhone?
It has the word "phone" in its name. The word "phone" implies making phone calls.

This isn't an official Apple company policy, but it is, in my experience, a routinely used excuse by customer service reps at different carriers, to respond to complaints of dropped calls and crappy call quality. "Your phone sucks because it's not meant to be a phone. If you wanted a phone, you should have bought something else." It's an excuse to place the burden of ****ty products and service on the consumer, who should have known that a phone isn't actually good at doing what it's name implies.

The iPhone isn't the only sucky smartphone for making calls. But I fail to understand anyone who argues that a phone's inability to make calls is excused by its ability to do other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,286 posts, read 13,839,253 times
Reputation: 11592
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
To be fair, kazyn, apple has always been about plug-and-play foolproof user-friendly application...not giving you all the control so you can F something up.
Their market was originally for people who wanted something intuitive and easy. That's how they roll.

Frankly, I have always hated apple products (since I was a kid) and wouldn't get an iphone if there was an ap that wiped my ass for me.
I repped you for that. That's exactly how I feel about the iPhone. I use both Android and BlackBerry devices. My first 2 or 3 smartphones were Windows Mobile devices and I had an ancient BlackBerry in there somewhere.

There is something about Apple products--all of them--that is irksome to me. Apple has a big following, but that following doesn't include me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,728,006 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Taking statements out of context isn't exactly the rational thing to do either.

I guess I should have said "the iPhone is meant to be a computer that you put in your pocket moreso than a phone".
Context and miscommunication are two separate ordeals.

In any event, long live Android
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Austin Texas
13 posts, read 16,316 times
Reputation: 27
It depends on what you are looking for in a smart phone.

Apple - easy to use, single supplier with excellent quality control. However, you are limited to what apple will let you do. There is little flexibilty in iOS or apple products in general. iTunes has lot's of apps, more than any other right now. Though, android marketplace is gaining ground and will likely surpass them. Requirements for apps on iTunes is more stringent than Android marketplace. This is both good and bad. Apple does have some solid guidelines on what apps can be developed and how to develop them. They are also pretty good about testing them to ensure functionality, etc.

Android - fairly easy to use, but lot's more flexibilty in how the OS functions and the ability to personalize it more. This is good and bad because if you don't know what you are doing, you could cause yourself some problems. Android marketplace is growing rapidly. Lot's of apps and stuff you won't find on iTunes. Lot's of suppliers to choose from for a phone. This is good/bad as well because there are some crap products out there but there are also some really good ones. The multitude of devices does cause some havoc for the development community because there is no way you can test your app on every flavor of android device out there. As such, Android is a bit of the wild west where anything goes.

In terms of flexibility, Android easily wins hands down.
In terms of ease of use and stability, I would give the nod to Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
 
2,490 posts, read 3,821,035 times
Reputation: 2879
I went with the iPhone. I went yesterday evening to the AT&T store just to look around and compare the Android phones to the iPhone. After 5 minutes of being in there, the salesman talked to me and asked if I was interested in buying something.

An hour later, I walked out with an iPhone.

I have to say, I really do like the iPhone. It's fast, easy to move things around with your fingers and has easy access. The only complaint I have is the battery dies out too quickly. Even after charging it all night, the battery begins to reduce itself almost immediately you start using it. But overall, definitely a 9 out of 10.

Last edited by 90sman; 06-04-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,728,006 times
Reputation: 1206
That will change as the battery "seasons" itself. Most android devices are worse on battery (simply because manufacturers keep putting these teeny tiny batteries in these 4.3" behemoths).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,069,825 times
Reputation: 7193
At the very least neither is "better" they are just different. Not much else to said really. You pays your money and makes your choice................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,977 posts, read 14,110,775 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
That will change as the battery "seasons" itself. Most android devices are worse on battery (simply because manufacturers keep putting these teeny tiny batteries in these 4.3" behemoths).
I disagree. They all pretty much can only last a day with heavy use.
Have yet to see any smartphone that can go 2 days on a single charge with heavy use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top