U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: iPhone or Android?
iPhone 14 34.15%
Android 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,481,119 times
Reputation: 1010

Advertisements

Really?

Really?!?

This is like asking "Which is better -- blue or green?"

The bottom line is that each OS serves a different market segment. We are in the midst of the golden era of smartphones right now. In 20 years, we will all look back fondly on the days when we had a choice between Android / Blackberry / iOS / Symbian / WebOS / WP7 on our devices. Arguing that one is superior to the other within the context of the mass market is silly.

I can tell you why I prefer Android, and I can tell you the specific features of iOS and iOS devices that I don't like, but in the end, all that matters is what you personally prefer. Go to a store of you preferred carrier and spend some time playing with both. Buy the one that you like the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Western NY
145 posts, read 385,996 times
Reputation: 102
Ok I have an android phone ( HTC thunderbolt ) but wish I had an iPhone because I like the interface better. Only reason I have the android phone is because I really do enjoy the 4g speed on my phone ( when it stays connected ) and websites generally do look more normal on the android due to flash. I will say though that the production of the android phones to me at least feels cheaply made. Also they are all different ( there are high end models and lower end models ) . Whereas there is only one iPhone 4.

Basically what I am saying is I like the versatility of the android ( better camera , 4g, flash , etc. ) but I do feel the iPhone is a more stable device. If the iPhone had 4g that would be the deal breaker and I would get rid of android in a second.

Oh and I hate the android marketplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,734,795 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I disagree. They all pretty much can only last a day with heavy use.
Have yet to see any smartphone that can go 2 days on a single charge with heavy use.
Right, but you can't expect miracles. A bigger screen, larger architectures, 4G radios, bluetooth, B/G/N, higher speed CPU (well, maybe I should say a venerable FSB), all account to a more slippery battery meter.

I'd also expect someone to explain their meaning of heavy usage if they were to use it as evidence (as anecdotal as it may be), as that could mean anything. I use my phone rather regularly (calls take up by far the most juice, because of the 4G radio) and I get a solid 35 hours out of a charge (2200mAh aftermarket battery to replace the 1900mAh in the Atrix).


Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Really?

Really?!?

This is like asking "Which is better -- blue or green?"

The bottom line is that each OS serves a different market segment. We are in the midst of the golden era of smartphones right now. In 20 years, we will all look back fondly on the days when we had a choice between Android / Blackberry / iOS / Symbian / WebOS / WP7 on our devices. Arguing that one is superior to the other within the context of the mass market is silly.

I can tell you why I prefer Android, and I can tell you the specific features of iOS and iOS devices that I don't like, but in the end, all that matters is what you personally prefer. Go to a store of you preferred carrier and spend some time playing with both. Buy the one that you like the most.
I agree, although comparing it to colors is a tad rudimentary I think there is a little more "gray" area to it. However, on the other side of the coin, I do agree that these guys are obviously competing against each other. One phone can do what the other phone can do, in their own style and execution. If they didn't, they wouldn't be competing against each other, they'd be a toaster vs. a keyboard, not at all alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,734,795 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
Oh and I hate the android marketplace
I prefer the Android market over the iOS market by a large margin. Much easier and streamlined to me. Click, click, installed. On my old iPhone I would have to log in to my apple ID account, click install, agree to terms, if it's an app like craigslist I have to agree to an 18+ rule, then the store closes and it brings me to an icon that loads and installs......way too much work if you want to install more than one thing at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Western NY
145 posts, read 385,996 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I prefer the Android market over the iOS market by a large margin. Much easier and streamlined to me. Click, click, installed. On my old iPhone I would have to log in to my apple ID account, click install, agree to terms, if it's an app like craigslist I have to agree to an 18+ rule, then the store closes and it brings me to an icon that loads and installs......way too much work if you want to install more than one thing at a time.
Yes but what really isn't good is that some apps work well on some android phones and don't work as well on others or even at all. There was one radio app that worked on my phone but not on a friend of mines ( he had the evo ). At least with the apple app store each and every app works because it's made for the actual device. Yeah I realize that a first gen iPhone may not be compatible with some of the newer apps but this seems to happen more often with android apps.

Also worth noting .... A lot of the apps on android market have different currencies and stuff like that . It just seems like an app store black market lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,734,795 times
Reputation: 1206
It is a free market, and Google does NOT do what Apple does and "authorizes" the app to be on the store. The great thing about that is that you have apps that might not have been authorized otherwise. The flip side is that you get apps that have compatibility issues.

This is not a fault of the market, rather the creator of the app. Fragmentation has plagued Android and will always plague Android because of one simple fact: Android is an OS, that goes on multitudes of hardware. iOS is an OS that goes on a specified set of hardware, making compatibility superior by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Western NY
145 posts, read 385,996 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
This is not a fault of the market, rather the creator of the app. Fragmentation has plagued Android and will always plague Android because of one simple fact: Android is an OS, that goes on multitudes of hardware. iOS is an OS that goes on a specified set of hardware, making compatibility superior by far.
Yes but wouldn't you like to buy a phone and know that the apps listed on your device will actually work on the device you have? I know it's free and pretty much unregulated but that can be a bad thing as well. I guess it's just a matter of opinion but I prefer to know that when I download something it will actually work and not be a gamble. Then again I hardly ever use the android market for this reason.

As I stated before it's just the 4g speed and better Internet experience that has me keeping my device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
12,032 posts, read 14,157,366 times
Reputation: 8195
I actually agree with both above posters. Both made good points on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Right, but you can't expect miracles. A bigger screen, larger architectures, 4G radios, bluetooth, B/G/N, higher speed CPU (well, maybe I should say a venerable FSB), all account to a more slippery battery meter.
Oh and I do not expect miracles. I wasn't even complaining about battey use. Just stating facts.
But if I had to complain I would say: as fast as everything else is moving battery technology should be improving, as well. Still using L-Ion battery technology that was really first invented: in 1991!!!
(Granted L-ION tech has improved greatly since then but technically speaking it is a 20 year old invention still powering our phones....)

Quote:
I'd also expect someone to explain their meaning of heavy usage if they were to use it as evidence (as anecdotal as it may be), as that could mean anything. I use my phone rather regularly (calls take up by far the most juice, because of the 4G radio) and I get a solid 35 hours out of a charge (2200mAh aftermarket battery to replace the 1900mAh in the Atrix).
I rarely make calls.
I email and text a lot, use the web a lot, play battery intensive games a lot, read the news... a lot. Videos occasionally. Always didling in the market.
Installing different ROM's. Although I think I found one I like now so not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,734,795 times
Reputation: 1206
My Atrix is bootlocked...I don't think I'll ever see the day of custom ROMs (although XDA supposedly has a few devs that are bypassing the bootloader all together, we'll see!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top