U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM

145 posts, read 396,275 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has the HTC thunderbolt from Verizon and has had any issues with it at all ( not counting the awful battery life !! ). The problem I am experiencing with the phone is my 4g signal keeps cutting off then coming back. Sometimes as 1x or 3G first then finally catching the 4g signal again. It's verrrrry irritating. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the 4g service or what!? I have heard from people that the phone was rushed out after numerous delays...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,357,943 times
I've heard other people complain about it (the 4g signal) as well as the battery life on that phone (worse than norm for smart phones). But there are so many factors that could be in play - from the antennae in the phone itself to the 4GLTE signals in your particular area.

If you're within your grace period to take it back, do so and swap it. If the replacement has the same issues, try the Samsung Droid Charge - far fewer people seem to be complaining about it's reception and battery.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Yup the 4g fades in and out a lot. Not to mention it seems to go in "sleep" mode if thats at all possible. It take a moment to wake up and work, def weird. The battery is def terrible but somedays it's normal and others I have to charge it multiple times

I'm not within the grace period

Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,016,505 times
4G was having issues nationwide when the OP originally posted, but I've had no problems since then.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,922,393 times
I highly recommend JuiceDefender. The free version is adequate. I use it on my Atrix, but basically what it does is turn off communication while the screen is off and throttles the CPU down to nearly nothing, and every 15 mins it opens data for 3 min to accept emails and app updates etc. Calls and texts still come in instantly.

My Atrix used to be at 10ish percent or less by the time it was time to go to bed (some days I had to plug it in around 7 to keep it alive), now I go to bed with over 50% battery left most nights. Definitely worth a go.

Sorry I can't help you with your 4G issue

Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,602,499 times
I also have a Thunderbolt. Love the speed, hate the battery life. I haven't had the problem you're describing, but I would still contact Verizon when this happens. After a few reports, you may very well be able to get a replacement non-TB handset (Charge?) at little or no cost. Failing that, the TB does have a one-year warranty. Last I checked, this can be done in the store -- though honestly it's been forever since I've had to contact customer service.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,736,678 times
I have had the thunderbolt since launch day and haven't any issues other than the 3g failing to connect at times. I've had to turn the mobile network off and back on again to get it to reconnect. Other than that, works fine.

Battery isn't too bad either. I have no problem getting a days use out of it(charging while I sleep). The screen is a big portion, 4.3inch does suck up the battery life. I've turned auto brightness off and turned the overall brightness a bit lower. Also check to see if anything is autosyncing regularly. When I first got it, the phone checked for mail, facebook updates etc every 15 minutes and that drained the battery quickly.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I also have a Thunderbolt. Love the speed, hate the battery life. I haven't had the problem you're describing, but I would still contact Verizon when this happens. After a few reports, you may very well be able to get a replacement non-TB handset (Charge?) at little or no cost. Failing that, the TB does have a one-year warranty. Last I checked, this can be done in the store -- though honestly it's been forever since I've had to contact customer service.
This is a good idea as the fading signal has not stopped.

I didn't know they actually honored the manufacture warranty at the store, this is great they do that .

I know there is a number to call ( although I don't know it ) to resync your phone to search for the closest tower to your location or something on that order.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,602,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
I know there is a number to call ( although I don't know it ) to resync your phone to search for the closest tower to your location or something on that order.
You're thinking of *228. DO NOT do this from your Thunderbolt. The technical explanation is that it updates the primary roaming list (PRL) on a CDMA2000 device. Since the Thunderbolt uses SIM-based provisioning, this process is not necessary. In theory, it should do nothing. The Thunderbolt should receive the PRL unlock sequence and just throw it out. However, Verizon says doing *228 will de-authorize the phone and mandate a SIM replacement.

In any event, it's not necessary with the Thunderbolt.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
You're thinking of *228. DO NOT do this from your Thunderbolt. The technical explanation is that it updates the primary roaming list (PRL) on a CDMA2000 device. Since the Thunderbolt uses SIM-based provisioning, this process is not necessary. In theory, it should do nothing. The Thunderbolt should receive the PRL unlock sequence and just throw it out. However, Verizon says doing *228 will de-authorize the phone and mandate a SIM replacement.

In any event, it's not necessary with the Thunderbolt.
Thanks so much for the advice. I will def NOT be doing that then. Don't wanna mess this thing up more than it already is what I should do is take a look at the Verizon coverage map and see if I'm in a low strength zone... Def weird.

Would bring it to the Verizon store but the people at the one nearest me are morons lol. They always tell people nothing is wrong with their phones. During that 2 day outage like a month ago I walked in to ask them about it and they had no clue what I was talking about. Then when they realized I was right I heard them say put the thunderbolt demo units wifi on. I mean talk about dishonest.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones