Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well I have an EVO and will keep sprint for my phone service, however I dropped my sprint 4g hotspot device and am switching to Verizon LTE mobile hotspot because it's a good 2-3 times faster than sprint/wimax.

If Clear had LTE now I would have definitely considered it.

I also plan on getting the EVO 3D when it comes out, but I never use 4G on the phone because battery and coverage (it goes in and out of 3g/4g) is bad.
Let's clear up one misconseption of LTE vs WiMAX.....Verizon's LTE is only faster than WiMAX right now because Clear has a much higher user load...500K people on LTE vs. 6 million subs on WiMAX, if LTE was to hit 6 Million over night you'd be seeing the same speeds as Wimax, neither one has a raw speed advantage over the other.

LTE has just been deem the world standard going forward and Wimax has not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:03 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
whatever results in balance and "better everything", i'm pro that

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Let's clear up one misconseption of LTE vs WiMAX.....Verizon's LTE is only faster than WiMAX right now because Clear has a much higher user load...500K people on LTE vs. 6 million subs on WiMAX, if LTE was to hit 6 Million over night you'd be seeing the same speeds as Wimax, neither one has a raw speed advantage over the other.

LTE has just been deem the world standard going forward and Wimax has not..
I've heard that a couple times. Here is the thing specifically with Sprint. They collect an additional $10/device/month for the 4G network build out, and yes, they were saying this for a long time. Now they are charging an extra $10/mo regardless of if your smartphone is 4g or not. Supposedly to go towards improving the infrastructure. It's not getting any faster or even maintaining a consistent speed/throughput in the same location. So regardless of the reason, whether it's overloaded or not, it's not delivering the same value *NOW* that LTE is delivering now. I'm not versed on this but it's not rocket science that for my $50/mo hotspot plan I can get 2-3 times the bandwidth wimax is offering then so be it, LTE gets my $50/mo.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I've heard that a couple times. Here is the thing specifically with Sprint. They collect an additional $10/device/month for the 4G network build out, and yes, they were saying this for a long time. Now they are charging an extra $10/mo regardless of if your smartphone is 4g or not. Supposedly to go towards improving the infrastructure. It's not getting any faster or even maintaining a consistent speed/throughput in the same location. So regardless of the reason, whether it's overloaded or not, it's not delivering the same value *NOW* that LTE is delivering now. I'm not versed on this but it's not rocket science that for my $50/mo hotspot plan I can get 2-3 times the bandwidth wimax is offering then so be it, LTE gets my $50/mo.
That fine you should enjoy those speeds "NOW"....but beware that those speeds are not sustainable, again as more people hop on LTE the slower it will get....and also while Sprint charges 10$ extra, its still "UNLIMITED"...

Verizon is adding caps soon, so again enjoy while you have it, and with the amount of speed you have, look to hit Verizon caps very quickly, meaning overages...

Yea Verizon knows what they're doing I'll give them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones