U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,593,588 times

Advertisements

Look at this:

New Fee Is Your Chance To Break Verizon Contract Without Paying Early Termination Fee - The Consumerist

Any time a carrier presents a material change in terms without allowing existing customers to grandfather their plans, it gives customers an escape clause to end their contract early without penalty.

I might have to go take a look at the EVO 3G and the T-Mobile G2X.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 AM

24,497 posts, read 37,555,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I might have to go take a look at the EVO 3G and the T-Mobile G2X.
I don't think the EVO 3G is due out for several months (and it's basically a rebadged sensation w/ cdma). You might as well look at the EVO 3D.

Last edited by NJBest; 06-29-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think the EVO 3G is due out for several months (and it's basically a rebadged sensation w/ cdma sensor). You might as well look at the EVO 3D.
Hah - that's what I meant to say. I got up to grab some lunch and realized my mistake.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,906,999 times
Eh, not a big deal in my opinion. Plus, with VZNs new tiered plans coming out on the 7th, you'd better make up your mind quick. If you lose your option to grandfather in your current data plan because you want a new phone, well, I'm not so sure I'd say it's worth it.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM

That's really the big problem. Do I trade off unlimited LTE just because I want a dual-core smartphone with better battery life than my Thunderbolt, or do I just shell out for an extended battery + replacement case / holster?

Nah, never mind. That settles it.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,701,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Eh, not a big deal in my opinion. Plus, with VZNs new tiered plans coming out on the 7th, you'd better make up your mind quick. If you lose your option to grandfather in your current data plan because you want a new phone, well, I'm not so sure I'd say it's worth it.
Ohh, what?! I want to get out of Verizon -- can you elaborate on the details? I need a reason to cancel w/o a fee.
By 7th, I imagine you mean July 7th

Thanks so much, I was going to make a thread but I need just this answered! lol

Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,992,817 times
I heard about a site that allows you to sell the remaining balance of your wireless service contract. The concept is a good one, someone can assume the remaining time and you get out of the early term fee. I can't remember the site, and I've never tried it but might be worth it to google.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,555,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I heard about a site that allows you to sell the remaining balance of your wireless service contract. The concept is a good one, someone can assume the remaining time and you get out of the early term fee. I can't remember the site, and I've never tried it but might be worth it to google.
Sell a liability? I don't follow the business model.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Ohh, what?! I want to get out of Verizon -- can you elaborate on the details? I need a reason to cancel w/o a fee.
Click the very first link in the thread - it tells you all you need to know. Long story short, a material change is taking place. Under contract law, if you cancel because of that reason and ONLY because of that reason, you can no longer be held to the terms of your contract.

Be firm. They will ask things like "Are there any other reasons why you're cancelling that I can help you out with?" You may be tempted to say something like "Well I was having a few problems with my phone a few months back, but they've been fixed. The main reason I'm canceling today is because of this fee." Do not do this -- your answer MUST be "Nope. The only reason I want to cancel is because of this fee."

Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sell a liability? I don't follow the business model.
I think the idea is that if you're switching to the carrier, instead of signing up for a 24-month contract, you can take over someone else's remaining xx months of service. Usually the person giving up the contract will throw in some perks, like a "like new" Thunderbolt with extra chargers, case, etc, for $50.

The seller gets out of his contract without the ETF, the buyer gets new service with less than 24 months, and the carrier saves some retention dollars.

I don't know how successful they are, but that's the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones