Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times

Advertisements

So I pooped on Verizon and we now have 2 phones we no longer need. They are both in good condition, and to be honest even if we got like $40 each on eBay (or whatever) I'd be happy.

The thing is: I am EXTREMELY ignorant when it comes to certain aspects of phones. Now that our phone numbers have been ported to our new service, and we have new phones.. does this make our phones unlocked? If not, how do I go about it?

I obviously would clear and do a factory restore on the phones, but I want to know if I need to be aware of anything else.

Any suggestions on the best way to sell them, would also be fantastic

Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Now that our phone numbers have been ported to our new service, and we have new phones.. does this make our phones unlocked?
Nope, not that easy

Quote:
If not, how do I go about it?

It depends on what type of phone it is.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM

One is the Samsung Reality and the other is Pantex (?) Crux (?).. both for Verizon.
So.. where can I at least learn what I'm supposed to do...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
On E-bay, the Samsung start (used !!) at less than 5 green ones .. yes less then five !!, who knows how high they go when the bids start.

The Pantex, you can get new from Verizon for 50 greens with a two year contract.

Sounds like you may have a problem getting as much as you want for it ??

Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM

LOL..
Just forget it.

Never asked HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR SAID PHONES.
Asked what I need to know in order to sell them. I get $10 I get $10. This thread isn't about the cost, it's about the procedure.

But it's City-Data and I thought there were SOME helpful people on here. Again, I was wrong.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Just reset the phones to clear your data. Then list them on ebay. If someone wants to unlock, hack, or whatever most prefer to do it themselves.

Some in this thread are mentioning what they sell for from verizon with a 2 year contract which is completely irrelevant when you are reselling them used. Many phones (I'm not sure about the ones you mention) are actually worth much more used than the two year contract price. Reason being because people drop them in water, break them, etc. and don't have insurance. When they go to verizon to replace the phone and are still under contract they will have to buy a replacement at full retail which is often $200 - $600 depending on the phone. Therefore, many phones that have a two year contract price of $50 - $100 often sell for $150 - $250 on ebay depending upon the popularity of the particular phone.

I would recommend looking on ebay to see what they are bringing when the auctions end or the buy it now price to get an idea of what you might get for them. You could then list them and put a reasonable buy it now price on them if you would like to sell them quickly.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
The thing is: I am EXTREMELY ignorant when it comes to certain aspects of phones. Now that our phone numbers have been ported to our new service, and we have new phones.. does this make our phones unlocked? If not, how do I go about it?
Generally speaking, the term "unlocked" really only applies to GSM phones. AT&T and T-Mobile lock the phone to their network so that an AT&T user can't use their phone on T-Mobile and vice versa.

While there are ways around this, you don't have to worry about it.

Quote:
I obviously would clear and do a factory restore on the phones, but I want to know if I need to be aware of anything else.
Typically that's all you have to do. Google "(your phone model) clear data" and see what you come up with.

By all means, list them on eBay or Craigslist. But if you're only getting $5 or $10 a piece, consider donating them to charity. Many places have collection bins and donation programs -- just make sure you clear your data beforehand.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
We have sold many a phone on craigslist. We've just wiped the phones. I've listed who the carrier was with.

In the past, I've had people thrilled to pay $15/$20 for a small flip phone. There was a lady who bought them every time they were listed because her elderly father kept losing or breaking them! In fact, that's who usually bought the old phones - someone who lost/broke their phone.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
I just did this with a BB Storm2. I'd just list them on craigslist so its easy (cash/pickup). Especially if you're phones aren't worth that much (not worth the extra hassle on ebay - shipping/fees etc.).

Look for a factory reset function on the phones. And use it so all the data is removed. After that, just list it on craigslist for a fair price. To get that, you can try searching for various sites that buy cellphones and those sites will usually provide a price. If you have a SD card, make sure all data is wiped. SIM card aren't' an issue since verizon isn't GSM carrier (I'm too lazy to do the research to see if your phones are even GSM phones). If you're really paranoid, feel free to remove the SIM and let the buyer know. it should have little impact on them.

Verizon also has a buy back program - so you can check there too.

Now, as I mentioned, there are a lot of site out there that will buy phones. The responses I've heard have been less than stellar in terms of response and what you actually get (the prices are usually the most they'll pay, but the actual depends on the condition etc.). So I'd use them for pricing, but would avoid actually using them.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
LOL..
Just forget it.

Never asked HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR SAID PHONES.
Asked what I need to know in order to sell them. I get $10 I get $10. This thread isn't about the cost, it's about the procedure.

But it's City-Data and I thought there were SOME helpful people on here. Again, I was wrong.
Wow, way to crap on the people trying to help you. You do realize that none of us get paid for this, don't you? We help because we have the knowledge that you lack and don't mind spreading the joy to those in need. No one is here, rapidly clicking the refresh button, hoping that the all-mighty h0tmess will bless us with a question that we humble servants can answer.

No need to be a ****** about it. Take your problem to an verizon store or wherever the hell you got your worthless phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones