Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times

Advertisements

I visit the US once or twice a year on holiday, staying 2 or 3 weeks each time. What I need is a basic cellphone which I can use in the US each time I come over. AS far as I'm aware I can't buy a US cellphone in the UK which would be ready to use as soon as I arrive in the US.

In the past I've had a 3-month contract with a basic phone, which I've usually bought at Radioshack, and then either a new sim card for it the next time I came over or bought a new cellphone.

Any suggestions for what's best for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I posted the following in another thread so just copied it here for your reference:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Take a look at MetroPCS dot com. You can have your current phone flashed to Metro. Wide coverage.

Take a look at Net10 dot com for Pay as You go. Many of their phones can be purchased at WalMart. I got a pretty basic LG for $15 w/200min (texting is one/half minute). 200 mins is $15.

Take a look at PagePlus Cellular dot com for 1200min/2000txt/100meg @ $30 month and can use some Verizon phones (I think not BB's or Pantex). Works on Verizon network (even Txt msgs are @vtext.

I have used VirginMobile (Sir Richard) a couple of times with complete satisfaction. Their service leases SprintPCS.

Take a look at HowardForums dot com for an excellent cellular reference.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In your case, you might purchase an inexpensive hand set at WalMart or other place then use a hotel (or your option) internet to have the phone activated with credit card. Not sure if you can do that with a foreign address. But if you're visiting a friend or relative then that address may suffice.

EDIT...

You might also take a look at the FlyerTalk dot com forum. Under the Travel Products forum there's a link in the description to Travel Technology where there is cellular service discussion that may be of interest to you. Many of these users are heavily traveled and are willing to share their experiences and knowledge for the benefit of other travelers.

EDIT...

Here's a good thread...

Pre-paid data SIM cards - consolidated thread - FlyerTalk Forums
- Post #3

Last edited by Willsson; 07-22-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Can't you buy an unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone in the UK? If you can, you can just pop in to a T-Mobile store when you arrive in the USA and pick up a prepaid SIM card for $10, and buy minutes as you need them. If you can't get an unlocked quad-band GSM phone in the UK, you can easily buy one once you arrive in the USA. For AT&T and T-Mobile coverage in the USA you need a phone that supports the 850 and 1900MHz bands. As long as you don't care that you keep getting a new phone number this should work fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones