U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM

12,270 posts, read 9,691,969 times

Advertisements

I like my HTC Incredible but I'm not in love with it. I had to return my first phone, and now the second one is starting to glitch out on me.

Same for the Android OS. I like it, but will jump on anything better and easier.

Has anyone switched from Android to iPhone? Do they like the iPhone better? Would they recommend the switch or do they wish they stayed with Android?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,730,759 times
I went the other way. I had an iPhone, switched to Android.

I will probably never go back to iOS.

Here are my thoughts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/19218625-post25.html

Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 AM

12,003 posts, read 14,131,164 times
Wife went from Android to iOS.
Keep in mind this was from the very first Droid to the very latest iPhone.
A bit like comparing a 2002 Ford Taurus to a 2010 Ford Fusion.

Pros:
- It's extremely responsive. Zero lag at all. You click something it launches fast. Silky smooth interface.
- Takes great pics.
- Good for texting, likes the texting app
Basically she likes everything about it better then the Droid.
Except for:

Cons:
-The market. The Android market is FULL of FREE apps. The Apple market is just the opposite. Free aps are much harder to find.
-The Droid was a better phone. She never dropped calls or lost signals with the Droid. Adding a case helped the iPhone even though the VZW iPhone supposedly didn't have that problem.

*Note she doesn't put music on it. Doesn't really use iTunes at all. iTunes, to me, is a con.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,054,621 times
The problem i had with the Iphone is that the socalled Data Plan i had for the Iphone ..So i went to Cricket Andriod plan that less than $65.oo dollars a month compared to the Iphone data plan that i had with AT&T it was $140.oo dollar's a month ..

I'm saveing about $75.oo dollar's a month and it amazeing to have a phone plan that is not nickeling & diming you to death on the plan ..

I basically went with the Cricket LG Optimus C phone with bult in Wifi hotspot for use with Ipad as my own personal hotspot ..

Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 AM

905 posts, read 2,170,686 times
iPhone is terrible. Why be assimilated into a society where one phone is all you get to choose from?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,946,239 times
^wtf? the iphone was never the only phone u could choose from. blackberry, winmo, android, webOS/palm, symbian/nokia.

the only reason i haven't bought an iphone is because the screen is too small. after a year with my evo's 4.3'' screen i could never go back to anything less than a 4'' screen. so if this new iphone screen is 4 inches, i'm switching from android to iphone.

iOS is the superior operating system. and i've been with android for years now. jailbreaking is super easy and a jailbroken iphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>
i know a guy that has custom HTC sense skin on his iphone and has all the customization of android with 9830459834059834059 better apps.
love android but the moment iphone gets a 4'' or higher screen im switching.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,730,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
iOS is the superior operating system. and i've been with android for years now. jailbreaking is super easy and a jailbroken iphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>
i know a guy that has custom HTC sense skin on his iphone and has all the customization of android with 9830459834059834059 better apps.
love android but the moment iphone gets a 4'' or higher screen im switching.
I've been there, and it is definitely NOT a superior OS. They all have their ups and downs, and customization is not a strong point for iOS. Whoopdee doo, he has a skin. That is the tip of the iceberg in customization. Android customization is the ability to change your keyboard app, or messaging app, or lock screen, or entire ROM, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Working with winterboard absolutely blows, too. Talk about lag city. The fact that it lays on top of springboard and suppresses it makes the phone unresponsive and increases its tendency to lag. I have used it extensively in the past.
Also, I hate the iPhone app store. I much prefer my Market and Amazon app store. Even Cydia sucks. More and more and more of their apps are becoming paid apps too.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,253,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
iPhone is terrible. Why be assimilated into a society where one phone is all you get to choose from?
its really about your carrier. not the phone. you still have options.

I've been playing with Android for a few months, and even with all it free hardware and "customization" I think I will still go with the iPhone when Sprint offers it.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,253,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I've been there, and it is definitely NOT a superior OS. They all have their ups and downs, and customization is not a strong point for iOS. Whoopdee doo, he has a skin. That is the tip of the iceberg in customization. Android customization is the ability to change your keyboard app, or messaging app, or lock screen, or entire ROM, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Working with winterboard absolutely blows, too. Talk about lag city. The fact that it lays on top of springboard and suppresses it makes the phone unresponsive and increases its tendency to lag. I have used it extensively in the past.
Also, I hate the iPhone app store. I much prefer my Market and Amazon app store. Even Cydia sucks. More and more and more of their apps are becoming paid apps too.
But really, how many average users will do that? Look at a program like MSWord, with all its (unnecessary) bells and whistles. -The average user can't even properly set tabs or paragraph spacing. -What makes you think that the majority of users will tweak their Android settings.

If you are a techno-Geek, yes, Android is definitely the phone for you. For everyone else its what ever feels best for you.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 14,131,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
But really, how many average users will do that?
MORE THEN 250,000 people have downloaded GO LAUNCHER.
The counter stops at 250,000
ADW Launcher < 250,000.
Swift Key < 250,000

Now I suppose you could argue that the same people are downloading all this stuff... but since the counter stops at 250K we can't even get a proper count... but even JUST 250K is a lot of downloads...

And your analogy sucks: People like to customize and tinker... playing with tab stops isn't really something you would even think to play with in Word unless you NEEDED to.

BUT I am so done with these iPhone vs Android threads.
They are both SOLID phones for everyone. If you can play with them both and decide which interface you like better.
I like them both. THere is not ONE definitive reason why one is better then the other. Period. THat's why these threads and article thrive.
Some people like the Android interface better... some like the iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones