U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM

39 posts, read 90,216 times

Advertisements

I understand you can use your phone for tethering for an extra monthly fee to do that - wirelessly. But, my daughterinlaw explained to me that she can connect her phone with a CORD to her computer - free then. They are thinking of dropping their computer service. She said it works great. So, now I am wondering if a phone that can act as a modem can connect to a new ipad with a cord for free? I am tryiing to decide whether to get the wireless ipad or the 3G. I wish I understood all the new technology better...help me out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,742,059 times
What you are describing is known as "tethering". You want to tether your iPad to another phone in order to use the other phone's Internet connection on your iPad. It can be done - do a quick Google search for "ipad tethering". Note that the iPad lacks a USB port, so whatever phone you use as your host will need to support WiFi tethering -- tethering via cord would be extremely unlikely.

I personally use Easytether to tether my Thunderbolt exactly the way you described. Best $10 I ever spent! Unfortunately there is no iPad version.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

128 posts, read 159,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
What you are describing is known as "tethering". You want to tether your iPad to another phone in order to use the other phone's Internet connection on your iPad. It can be done - do a quick Google search for "ipad tethering". Note that the iPad lacks a USB port, so whatever phone you use as your host will need to support WiFi tethering -- tethering via cord would be extremely unlikely.

I personally use Easytether to tether my Thunderbolt exactly the way you described. Best $10 I ever spent! Unfortunately there is no iPad version.
iOS supports WiFi tethering and Bluetooth tethering, so it does not need any other apps, just enable it in settings

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanguide View Post
iOS supports WiFi tethering and Bluetooth tethering, so it does not need any other apps, just enable it in settings
Is this enabled on the iPhone as well? I thought AT&T blocked that, or at least required an additional subscription.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

128 posts, read 159,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Is this enabled on the iPhone as well? I thought AT&T blocked that, or at least required an additional subscription.
You need a 2GB DataPro plan (unlimited data plan not supported) and additional $20 per month for tethering.

AT&T used to block tethering but now since they starts to charge us, you won't got blocked. AT&T loves money.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanguide View Post
You need a 2GB DataPro plan (unlimited data plan not supported) and additional $20 per month for tethering.
Ah, okay. OP was asking for a free solution, that's why I suggested things like EasyTether.

The iPad will happily use WiFi, so whatever tethering host OP uses, paid or otherwise, will have to go over WiFi.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,283,681 times
if you have Cricket or Metro pcs in the area they have cellphones with bult in Wifi hotspot's in there phone's and there smart phone package is alot cheaper than the other cell phone package's out there ..

I'm paying about $65.oo a month for there Android program through cricket phone company after getting killed every month by my Iphone cell phone plan which was comeing out each month to $140.oo dollar's a month with just the basic things that i had on the phone

Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM

39 posts, read 90,216 times
downtown...thanks for your answers...I am trying to figure out a way to use a wireless IPAD ...places where theres no wireless ...in the car for example. You said you use your Thunderbolt for $10. The info I have looked at says that if you pay for tethering on your phone it is at least $20/month. How and where do you get it for $10... I am starting to think if I am not going to be able to be grandfathered in for unlimited data when I get a new phone soon (i am past the two years) ...I will just get a phone to use as a phone and just get the 3g ipad and have it with me always and use it for everything I need to do !!!!! The costs of everything just for the fun and entertainment of it all is getting too expensive.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM

905 posts, read 2,279,446 times
*cough*Wireless Tether is free with a rooted phone *cough*

Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 AM

404 posts, read 983,669 times
Get an Android device and root it. Or, if you're not that technologically advanced, find someone on Craigslist to do it for you.

You won't have to pay a tethering fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones