U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM

39 posts, read 83,070 times

Advertisements

I am waiting for the iphone 5 but I have seen a couple friends using their droid phones navigation and it is incredible. In fact my son/daughterinlaw threw away their great gps. I think it is google so, would it be the same on iphones? The Droid spoke with turn by turn response and was very quick and responsive. I am so directlonally challenged so I would like to get a phone that will direct me ! Then I can throw away my gps too which constantly says "searching for satelites" !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:52 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,677,661 times
I've used the navi on my android phone several times. Works just fine. (Download Google Maps. That's the app I've been using. Free and works great!)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,677,661 times
Oops, sorry, just reread your original post.

Not sure how iphone performs against droid in that area. Sorry!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,308,720 times
I also have never used the iphone navigation.... but phones definitely find satelites faster than standalone GPS units. Thy actually ping the towers for satellite information that makes it quicker to connect. Also, phones make use of tower triangulation to get a rough estimate of location while searching for satellites.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 AM

12,071 posts, read 14,198,712 times
This is one of, imo, just 2 areas that the Android OS handily smacks down iOS.

-Navigation
-Voice Recognition

Out of the box these features are superior to iOS by a large margin.

You can use Google maps on the iPhone... or Bing maps for that matter. But that's all it is. Just Google maps, just like on your PC, but the icon will follow the map as you drive.
The Android Maps Navigation app is as good as, if not better, then any Garmin/Magellan.

But, OF COURSE, as with everything else on smartphones today:
"there's an app for that".

Amaze is just one
amAze - Free maps and affordable GPS Navigation for your mobile phone!
of about a dozen GPS apps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones