Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,840,847 times

Advertisements

If your coverage area includes multiple cities, your employer might get suspicious if they notice that your cell phone never changes location, even when you are in the field and supposed to be moving around to different customer sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Default OK - so someone mentioned the cheating spouse ...

So, let me see if i get this right ? While one person is at work, the other "mate" could be "running around" all over the place, but they leave their cell at home with call forwarding. If the working guy "checks on her" by calling her, the call gets forwarded to her "secret phone" at the hotel, or wherever. But when the guy looks at her cell phone bill, it shows that when he called her, she was at the "home tower". And, even if he is using some backup/locator/lost cell "wipe" program that can locate the phone, she'll STILL appear to be at home.

Do I have that "scheme" figured out now ??

One more thing ... that was also wierd ... why would calls to her "kid at school" in another state always show up as being a call to a tower in the town a couple towers over ?? Or, would that just be that the "secret flame" leaves his phone at home in that town same way - in reverse ???

Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,807,235 times
this thread is entertaining. i would never let my boss amuse me by telling me where i can and can't live. i would quit and i would be saying a few select words as well. sorry i don't let people controll me

Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,807,235 times
Hes supposed to be your boss and not your babysitter what you do where you go live on your own time is none of his bussiness

Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 412 times
Just rent an extremely low cost room or apartment and have your cellphone bill tied to that location. Go to the DMV with a cellphone bill and a letter from your landlord to prove that this is your new address (or deed if you’re mr money bags) saying you lost your ID and this is where you reside. Bring all other forms of visual and non visual ID (credit cards, SSN card, library card, anything that you can think of that will verify that it is you). Get a VA ID. Leave the work phone in your new awesome living arrangements plugged into power and GPS off. Forward all calls to your personal cell that is registered to your VA address. Doesn’t matter that your employer requires you to live in VA. You now technically do, you have an address, a place that receives mail, a VA phone number, a key to get in your new place, and a VA state ID or drivers license. Nothing is illegal about what I just said, except now that you technically have 2 ID’s (possibly illegal, even if it is your legal info in both and not fake - check state laws).

So, if your “company” requires you to live in VA, you do. If they do find out that you are in NC, you were visiting your wife/kids/brother/second cousin removed’s next door neighbor’s dog. They can not penalize you for anything.

But what you’re sounding like you’re trying to do is avoid law enforcement/probation/parole. No company in their right mind would ever dictate to you where you can live and not live in fear of being terminated. Lower tax rates on all fronts are nice to have and some taxes have great deals but the reason I am highly suspicious of what your saying about your “company” not allowing you to move to NC and work in VA is very bull****tish to me as both VA and NC have the exact same rate for income tax. As far as property tax? VA is between 0.85% - 1.14% and NC is a solid 0.88%. So, unless you have a crapton of land with a huge mansion on it my money is that you’re evading some kind of LEO. If it truly is what you claim, do what I said and they cant do anything about it as long as you are doing what your duties at said job are.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-05-2018, 07:14 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,543,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Well, to make a very long story very short, the location of any phone can be determined with ease. Even if the phone is off, GPS is disabled, and tower-based location services are disabled, all modern phones can be commanded by the carrier to report their location. This generally is used in emergency situations, but is very common. The carrier can immediately report an accurate location or range ("The device is within 300 meters of (some coordinates), approximately 150 feet above ground level"). Precision improves dramatically when two or more cells are involved.
i find the bolded interesting. does that mean if a camper goes missing for 2 weeks and the battery dies, their location can still be tri-angulated ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post

Your bill will show an "Origination" and "Destination" field. However, these usually correspond to either the NPA-NXX of the terminating number (the "Destination" field) or the approximate geographic area where the call originated. Looking at my bill, I see entries such as "Harrisburg" and "Philadelphia", meaning these origination areas are quite large. They're also frequently inaccurate. If you place a phone call from Camden, your bill may actually show the call originating from "Philadelphia" based on what cell your phone actually attaches to. This actually happens quite frequently, and is why nobody* uses these fields on your bill to determine actual location.
on my bill, it shows the location where the cellular service was bought. i have family members from boston that since moved to the mid-atlantic. whenever they call me, my bill says the call originated from cambridge, ma.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,416,722 times
This is the reason we have cell phones that we do not have to register. There are also apps for this. So, you don't need multiple cell phones, you need to have additional phone numbers. This is also the reason why e911 does not work for VoIP numbers. I would forward all of those calls out to the VoIP number. In the future, just give out the VoIP number as though it was your actual cell phone number.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM

6,422 posts, read 10,254,580 times
Amazing how folks are continuing to debate a thread started in 2011 and not discussed since 2013.

I am sure the OP has come to a resolution and has moved on long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones