Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times

Advertisements

Story here:

Leaked AT&T Letter Undermines Case For Merging With T-Mobile | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Like 99% of the world's population (the remaining 1% being AT&T employees and family members), I've had poor service and terrible first-hand experience with AT&T, so this story makes me smile. But until I actually see this letter and its authenticity verified, it doesn't exist to me.

Still, would this surprise anyone? The former monopoly-to-end-all-monopolies behaving in an anti-competitive fashion - whodathunk?

I still say that a Sprint + T-Mobile merger would have been actually beneficial to consumers. Combine Sprint's bandwidth and seemingly never-ending finances with T-Mobile's management and retail, and you've got a small-but-powerful competitor to AT&T and Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Story here:

Leaked AT&T Letter Undermines Case For Merging With T-Mobile | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Like 99% of the world's population (the remaining 1% being AT&T employees and family members), I've had poor service and terrible first-hand experience with AT&T, so this story makes me smile. But until I actually see this letter and its authenticity verified, it doesn't exist to me.

Still, would this surprise anyone? The former monopoly-to-end-all-monopolies behaving in an anti-competitive fashion - whodathunk?

I still say that a Sprint + T-Mobile merger would have been actually beneficial to consumers. Combine Sprint's bandwidth and seemingly never-ending finances with T-Mobile's management and retail, and you've got a small-but-powerful competitor to AT&T and Verizon.
A Sprint T Mobile merger would be a disaster. It should be FCC policy to maintain at least 4 national companies.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Story here:

I could have told you that. AT&T is not dumb and they are not paying TWICE what T mobile is worth for no reason. As soon as the deal closes, tens of thousands of layoffs will occur and prices will go up almost as soon as the ink is dry. And I still say within a year Sprint will be sold to Verizon. Count on it.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Doing that is not illegal... it's just competing for available market and keeping that market out of the hands of competitors.

That said, I would have greatly preferred a T-Mobile/Sprint merger, but because of networks, the two are less compatible than Sprint and AT&T. The AT&T merger makes sense, but it's going to be the end of my relationship with both companies--I've had an AT&T phone for 15 years, and T-Mobile since their US launch. I already dumped the AT&T phone earlier this year for a Sprint phone, and the T-Mobile line is going to be dropped as soon as I get around to it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Doing that is not illegal... it's just competing for available market and keeping that market out of the hands of competitors.

That said, I would have greatly preferred a T-Mobile/Sprint merger, but because of networks, the two are less compatible than Sprint and AT&T. The AT&T merger makes sense, but it's going to be the end of my relationship with both companies--I've had an AT&T phone for 15 years, and T-Mobile since their US launch. I already dumped the AT&T phone earlier this year for a Sprint phone, and the T-Mobile line is going to be dropped as soon as I get around to it.
I would prefer NO merger. It should by policy to keep at least 4 national carriers to ensure competition and price controls.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I could have told you that. AT&T is not dumb and they are not paying TWICE what T mobile is worth for no reason. As soon as the deal closes, tens of thousands of layoffs will occur and prices will go up almost as soon as the ink is dry. And I still say within a year Sprint will be sold to Verizon. Count on it.
I actually made this comment while Sprint and T-Mobile were originally negotiating and after AT&T merged with TMO. AT&T didn't want to be 3rd so they jumped in and merged with TMO. They didn't want to be behind Verizon and Sprint. The big issue is that Verizon had better service and for the same price while sprint had better service and price for less. So a merger for Sprint and TMO would have put them last and they would have dropped more especially since they lost the IPhone exclusive rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones