U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM

400 posts, read 1,515,674 times

Advertisements

I have a ~4 year old phone through Verizon that seems to be dying. I have been intending to upgrade to a smartphone. I don't use many minutes, but do use the unlimited messaging. I'd also want to be able to access a website now and then, so will need to buy a data plan.

Verizon service is very good here/never drops a call, etc. Family was visiting and they had service through Virgin Mobile and it seemed to work fine here too. I'm wondering if I should try out that $35/$45 month all inclusive no contract "plan" currently advertised by Virgin. I can't remember the name of the phone offered with the plan, does anyone know if its any good? and I assume you also have to purchase the phone (whereas many of Verizon's phones are free with a contract)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM

588 posts, read 888,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I have a ~4 year old phone through Verizon that seems to be dying. I have been intending to upgrade to a smartphone. I don't use many minutes, but do use the unlimited messaging. I'd also want to be able to access a website now and then, so will need to buy a data plan.

Verizon service is very good here/never drops a call, etc. Family was visiting and they had service through Virgin Mobile and it seemed to work fine here too. I'm wondering if I should try out that $35/$45 month all inclusive no contract "plan" currently advertised by Virgin. I can't remember the name of the phone offered with the plan, does anyone know if its any good? and I assume you also have to purchase the phone (whereas many of Verizon's phones are free with a contract)?
If you know that the service is good where you will be, I would definitely try it. I haven't had issues with dropped calls or weak signal. The only issue is a reduced coverage area, but if you don't travel out to the boonies a lot then that won't matter.

Look at it this way: try it for a year, if you don't like it, you still probably paid less than you would have on a contract, even if you factor the cost of the unsubsidized phone in, and best of all, you are free to go at any point. I have the intercept, but would recommend getting one of the newer phones, that motorola one looks pretty good. The intercept works ok most of the time but can be annoyingly laggy. But I don't have network issues with virgin. Even when I have gone out in the mountains, for instance, I find that virgin is not much different than the other carriers - it's a crapshoot on whether or not you'll get service, from any of them, if you go out far enough.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM

8,564 posts, read 9,879,430 times
VirginMobile lease Sprint air time. I used it for a while with no problems. You will need to purchase a VM phone. Check at WalMart to see if they have a phone in stock that you can handle and punch on before purchasing.

You might also check out Page Plus Cellular (leases Verizon) or MetroPCS. Both will accept many phones from other services.

You might check eBay for new phones or Wirefly, an online cell phone retailer.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,481,413 times
Seconding the "just try it" opinion. At $35 / month, you'll save a ton of money over Verizon. You'll see a reduction in coverage, though this may not impact you. And you won't have 4G. But for that price, even if you absolutely hate the service, think of how much money you'll save.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 9,583 times
If you want to learn more about the mobile phone, please read more,

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,583 times
http://http://www.spriceangels.com/ (broken link)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,625,674 times
I would highly recommend that you go to both the Virgin Mobile site and Verizon sites to see their "coverage maps" where you live, as well as the maps of places to frequently may go/travel to. This alone may answer some of your questions as to whether to switch or not.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM

400 posts, read 1,515,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

You might also check out Page Plus Cellular (leases Verizon) or MetroPCS.
This interests me, because I know Verizon works well in my area. But am I missing something on their webiste, or does Page Plus Cellular not have phones/data plans where I can access the internet?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM

8,564 posts, read 9,879,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
This interests me, because I know Verizon works well in my area. But am I missing something on their webiste, or does Page Plus Cellular not have phones/data plans where I can access the internet?
On the Page Plus website there is a link for 'Shop Online' with a sub for 'Phones'. There looks to be some Kyocera phones available. You don't need to buy their phone but should be able to use most any CDMA phone. As in, you can buy one at WalMart or Wirefly or elsewhere.

The data plans are fairly limited. I use the 1,200 Minutes, 3,000 Text/MMS Messages, 100 MB Data Talk and Text for $30. It's the cheapest 'all inclusive' plan I've seem. I use about 30 minutes or less of voice, fewer than 25 msgs and I use my WiFi for data (does not count to limit). But... it's the only phone I have.

Review of plans on the website is a little confusing.

I suggest you give them a call, but you may need to hold for a while for a tech. My one contact, they were waaayyy beyond polite and helpful. There's no contract so you might try your 'going out of service' phone for a while to see if you're satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones