Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times

Advertisements

I am due for an upgrade and I am SOOOO over my current phone. I had an all touch screen phone before (LG Dare) and I hated it. Yet, I guess I am going back that route. I have a few questions- the people at my local Verizon were not very helpful.

I am leaning towards an iPhone. Is it worth it to buy it now, or should I wait until the iPhone 5 is released? Since I have been a Verizon customer for 6 years straight (on and off for 12), I never paid attention to the previous AT&T releases. Is the new one going to cost a fortune for a while? I only want the 16gb, and I am really not wanting to pay $400 for a phone.

Also, is it pointless to buy a 3G phone? Should I go with a 4GLTE one?

I really don't want to buy a phone that I'm going to be annoyed with for 2 years.

Lastly- I have never had a data plan. I read somewhere that the $30 plan is enough for the majority of customers (I am kicking myself for not adding data before they took away the unlimited!). Is that true? I am a teacher, so I can't touch my phone during the school day. I also work a part time retail job, so 3 nights a week and about 12-16 hours on the weekend are out as well. I can't imagine I will use it as much as the majority of customers since I can't touch it half the day!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have been stuck with a phone I hate for 2 years, and I don't want to make the same mistake again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Whether you should buy the iPhone 4 or 5 is entirely up to you. Are you the type of person who will be bothered by having something that isn't the current model? When you bought you last TV, were you annoyed that a slightly better model came out just weeks after you bought yours? If so, then wait. If this sort of thing doesn't bother you, then get the 4 now. Note, however, that once the 5 has been out for a few weeks, you'll probably see the price of the 4 plummet.

All of their 4G smartphones are 3G / 4G, so when 4G isn't available, they'll fall back to 3G. Verizon's 4G coverage is pretty dense; my Thunderbolt doesn't spend all day jumping back and forth between 3G and 4G like my AT&T device did.

As for the data amount, unfortunately there is no solid metric on "average" data use. Sure, there's a mathematical average, but everybody's usage is different. Most people probably use in the 2 - 5 gig range. I use my phone pretty heavily for Facebook, Twitter, Slacker, and tethering (yay unlimited hotspot!), and I've never gone over 10 gigs in a month. Note that I'm not streaming movies or downloading huge ISOs ... often.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
I am in a similar situation. From what I saw on display, I liked the HCT incredible. It is still 3G, but they say it will be upgraded to Android 2.3 . It is not as large as the newer 4G sets and is lower in price. This week, Verizon will release to market the Bionic and another phone, so other phones may be further reduced. Next month iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 may also be cheaper.
Basically, it depends on your personal style and needs. Think what you do everyday, most frequently. Think what you can't live without and your price range.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I went with the Motorola Android II and it was only $49 with the upgrade discount. I have compared with the I-phone of a friend and there are many advantages to the droid, including larger screen and more free apps.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I disagree that most people use 2-5gb.
I have 10 people at my office with smartphones and only one has crossed that 2GB threshold. And that is because he lets his kid watch youtube videos on it.
A lot.
Keep in mind it also uses wifi so if you have a wifi network at home you won't be using data there either.
Not to mention there is a new app on the phones that will let you know when you are close to your cap.
You'll be fine with 2gb.
Don't worry about the 3g versus 4g either. 4g is blazing fast internet but ... 3g is not unbearably slow by any means.
If you don't like touchscreens I would recommend the Moto Droid 3.
Has a keyboard and a touch screen.
With just touch I would recommend the Incredible 2 or the iPhone 4.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
If you have wifi at home than 2GB will be fine unless you stream a lot of video on the 4G network. With a 3G phone it's much harder to burn through 2GB of data due to the much slower data speeds.

Wait for the iPhone 5 if you decide to go Apple. It should be out by the end of October at the latest. You should be eligible for the full subsidy ($200/16GB with 2yr contract.)

4G Verizon phones released thus far have terrible battery life so I'd avoid them. The Motorola Droid Bionic is supposed to be released this week so you might wait for the reviews on that 4G phone. It is a bit on the large side so if you have small hands it may not be a good choice.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Any new info about HTC Incredible 2 upgraded with Android 2.3 aka gingerbread?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,380 times
iPhone 4 hands down, although with rumors of a 5th generation I personally would wait. If you can not then the 4 will not let you down.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I have a Droid X and my daughter has an Iphone with Verizon. The biggest differences are that the Iphone doesn't have flash. There are a lot of websites and applications that you can't use on an Iphone because of that--the biggest one being a descent GPS system. There are a LOT more free apps for the Droid as well.

She had an Ipod and wanted music on her phone which is why she chose the Iphone. She likes it but gets frustrated with lack of flash.

As for 3G vs 4G do you live in an area with a 4G network? If not, kind of pointless to get a 4G phone.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Any new info about HTC Incredible 2 upgraded with Android 2.3 aka gingerbread?
That's the phone I have. Love it. What new info, though? Are you asking if it got Gingerbread? It did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones