U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:24 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,980,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
This doesn't affect the iPhone. Per your words, "nobody" uses the hotspot feature, and this doesn't impact smartphone usage.

I do enjoy watching folks eat their words.

Funny thing is, nobody would care if you hadn't been so loud about it. We know you're a Sprint employee and you love your company dearly, but that's no reason to be so fanatical about it.

Seriously come off it......I still have my unlimited so what....their Phone Carriers why do you care so much...does Verizon support your child's little league or something?

Seriously get a life
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,626,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Its the cost of getting the iPhone Verizon did the same thing before they landed iPhone, and AT&T before that...
Except that Verizon and AT&T didn't have yearly full-discount upgrades like Sprint did.

For atleast the last 8 years, Verizon had 22-month upgrade contracts but sent out 18-month early upgrades. They still do this as my gf just got awarded her 18-month early upgrade.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,599,191 times
Quote:
Seriously get a life
Ladies and gentlemen, our resident Sprint employee eating her words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I have a traffic monitor widget on android. On my home screen has small widget that shows how much data I used that resets monthly. I can open the widget to get data use per app, including tethering.
That's handy. Is it free? That's going to really come in useful. Maybe I need to write one ... Hmmm. Who was the blogger or website several months ago that pointed out the coming conflict between content delivery and content creation? Netflix / Blockbuster / Hulu / Facebook / etc want you to use their sites as much as possible, while AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile / Verizon want you to NOT use those sites as much as possible.

I mean, take Comcast's caps. 250GB? Yeah, I've never even come close. I could purchase / download a few dozen movies from Amazon every week and still not hit that. But it does effectively cut off the, for lack of a better word, abusers who run torrent trackers 24x7. The heavy hitters get bumped to a higher plan or cut off, while the regular users are unaffected.

Obviously over-the-air bandwidth is much more limited, but 5GB is still a ridiculous number. Even 10 is really pushing it. I could handle a 15GB cap, and a 25GB cap wouldn't affect me at all. As long as it's sold as 25GB worth of data -- and not "unlimited" -- then the concept of a cap really doesn't bother me at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, our resident Sprint employee eating her words.

That's handy. Is it free? That's going to really come in useful. Maybe I need to write one ... Hmmm. Who was the blogger or website several months ago that pointed out the coming conflict between content delivery and content creation? Netflix / Blockbuster / Hulu / Facebook / etc want you to use their sites as much as possible, while AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile / Verizon want you to NOT use those sites as much as possible.

I mean, take Comcast's caps. 250GB? Yeah, I've never even come close. I could purchase / download a few dozen movies from Amazon every week and still not hit that. But it does effectively cut off the, for lack of a better word, abusers who run torrent trackers 24x7. The heavy hitters get bumped to a higher plan or cut off, while the regular users are unaffected.

Obviously over-the-air bandwidth is much more limited, but 5GB is still a ridiculous number. Even 10 is really pushing it. I could handle a 15GB cap, and a 25GB cap wouldn't affect me at all. As long as it's sold as 25GB worth of data -- and not "unlimited" -- then the concept of a cap really doesn't bother me at all.
I actually have to watch my comcast connection now. I started streaming cnbc+ 8 hours/day... it's really eating up bandwidth. I can see how 250gb is low for people who watch a lot of netflix and whatnot.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I started streaming cnbc+ 8 hours/day... it's really eating up bandwidth. I can see how 250gb is low for people who watch a lot of netflix and whatnot.
Ok, you've definitely got me beat there! What does a typical day of streaming consume?

Imagine how much additional bandwidth would be opened up on the coax if we moved from real-time broadcast to compressed, cached, time-managed broadcast? At the very least, it would save several hours daily in commercial duplication.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, you've definitely got me beat there! What does a typical day of streaming consume?

Imagine how much additional bandwidth would be opened up on the coax if we moved from real-time broadcast to compressed, cached, time-managed broadcast? At the very least, it would save several hours daily in commercial duplication.
This month I'm consuming an average of 9gb per weekday. On the weekends, it drops to below 2 gb per day.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,308,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Extremely inaccurate and misleading post.

The article (and all the other guidance coming out of Sprint) clearly states that the only Sprint users that will have the 5GB cap are those that are using their phones as mobile hotspots or directly hooked up to their computers.

Smartphone/regular phone data usage is still unlimited, and only mobile hotspot/computer usage will count toward the 5GB cap. Also the 5GB cap does not apply to those that have tablets signed up for the mobile hotspot/phone-as-modem plan.

For the way the vast majority of phones are used, the cap does not apply.
It's unlimited for now, due to reasonable usage amongst Sprint customers. However, it is not a protected right given by Sprint.

Quote:
Seriously come off it......I still have my unlimited so what....their Phone Carriers why do you care so much...does Verizon support your child's little league or something?

Seriously get a life
I think, if I may, Sprint should focus less on NASCAR and more on the wireless market. If not, they will continue to defeat themselves.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 09-26-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
It's unlimited for now, due to reasonable usage amongst Sprint customers. However, it is not a protected right given by Sprint.
Nothing is a protected right, obviously. But Sprint remains committed to keeping it unlimited at this time.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM

More talk about Sprint's upcoming LTE network. 1Q12 launch, anyone?

Sprint's LTE build out already underway, new 4G network to launch first half 2012? -- Engadget

They're going with FD-LTE, which will help mitigate coverage issues especially in rural or dense parts of the country. So within 6-9 months, we should have at least four LTE networks to choose from. I'm willing to bet Sprint's deployment outpaces AT&T's.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
More talk about Sprint's upcoming LTE network. 1Q12 launch, anyone?

Sprint's LTE build out already underway, new 4G network to launch first half 2012? -- Engadget

They're going with FD-LTE, which will help mitigate coverage issues especially in rural or dense parts of the country. So within 6-9 months, we should have at least four LTE networks to choose from. I'm willing to bet Sprint's deployment outpaces AT&T's.
Just saw this in the morning as well.

Direct Link: Sprint to launch own 4G LTE network in early 2012 (scoop) | Wireless - CNET News

I wonder when they'll have CDMA + WIMAX + LTE phones on the market. I'm hoping sooner than later. I'm due for an upgrade.

And most importantly, they should launch LTE in NYC, Philly, and everywhere inbetween from the start. :-)

Last edited by NJBest; 09-27-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones