Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times

Advertisements

After months of trouble with my DroidX (I'm on my 5th one) Verizon has "agreed" to put me into another phone. They are trying to talk me into the DroidX2 but the reviews are terrible. I also considered moving over to the HTC at one point. I have decided to hold out and wait for the iPhone 5. I'm just wondering if anyone made the switch from Droid to iPhone and if you were glad you did????? I am a bit "phone shy" at this point after such a bad experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I've known people who have flip-flopped between the two and really, it's a 50/50 mix of votes.

The Droid X series however, have a pretty iffy reputation in terms of quality control, so much of the bad taste in your mouth (and wallet) come from that series of phone. I went through three Droid Xs myself the last time I upgraded (all with various defects), and a friend recently just took back his second Droid X2 himself. I personally settled on the Samsung Fascinate and am very happy with the phone - even iPhone users I know LOVE the super OMLED screen on it and wish their phones had a similar one.

That being said, the people I know who tried iPhones generally do like them, other than the fact they can't swap out the battery themselves, and they're not real keen on using iTunes. Personally, I prefer being able to use my Android as a mini-computer as opposed to a more proprietary type of OS/phone. You will only know once you try, though - everyone is different. Just stay away based on your experience, from the Motorolas.

ADDED: I will add this, too: To date I think I've known about six people who have dropped their iPhones, and every single time, the screens cracked on them. Of everyone I've known who have dropped their Androids, only one of the phones broke. Now, there is only one current and a couple of past iPhone models, and seemingly dozens of Android phones, and all models are built differently - the OS has nothing to do with it. But as solid as the iPhones feel when you hold them, I have to wonder how well they do stand up to droppage considering the experience of those I know. I think if you do go that route, a good shock-aborbing bumper/skin and good screen protection film is a MUST for the iPhone (or really, any phone)

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-29-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Yes I have heard and seen that about the iPhone (the broken screen) and that does somewhat concern me simply because I have been known to drop my phone. I agree a good cover and screen protector is a must. The sales person REALLY tried to talk me out of the iPhone. Talking to me about the fact it has no flash drive etc. Most of which was ALL lost on me. I use my phone for the basic things....calendar, facebook,text and need one with a good camera as I use my phone camera all the time (a reason I am waiting for the Iphone 5 because it is supposed to have a better camera) and will browse the internet occasionally.....like my apps like the Sports Scores app, weather app etc. As a busy mom of 3 the phone is bound to be dropped on occasion though so it is something I have considered. Good to hear I am not the only one having all the trouble with the X phones. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've known people who have flip-flopped between the two and really, it's a 50/50 mix of votes.

The Droid X series however, have a pretty iffy reputation in terms of quality control, so much of the bad taste in your mouth (and wallet) come from that series of phone. I went through three Droid Xs myself the last time I upgraded (all with various defects), and a friend recently just took back his second Droid X2 himself. I personally settled on the Samsung Fascinate and am very happy with the phone - even iPhone users I know LOVE the super OMLED screen on it and wish their phones had a similar one.

That being said, the people I know who tried iPhones generally do like them, other than the fact they can't swap out the battery themselves, and they're not real keen on using iTunes. Personally, I prefer being able to use my Android as a mini-computer as opposed to a more proprietary type of OS/phone. You will only know once you try, though - everyone is different. Just stay away based on your experience, from the Motorolas.

ADDED: I will add this, too: To date I think I've known about six people who have dropped their iPhones, and every single time, the screens cracked on them. Of everyone I've known who have dropped their Androids, only one of the phones broke. Now, there is only one current and a couple of past iPhone models, and seemingly dozens of Android phones, and all models are built differently - the OS has nothing to do with it. But as solid as the iPhones feel when you hold them, I have to wonder how well they do stand up to droppage considering the experience of those I know. I think if you do go that route, a good shock-aborbing bumper/skin and good screen protection film is a MUST for the iPhone (or really, any phone)

Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Can't speak from the experience of having used both, but there's no way in he** I'd give up my Evo for an iPhone.

If you like the android platform, try a different brand of phone - the OS isn't your problem; the phone manufacturer/series is. Switching to an iPhone because of the problems you're having is like complaining about MS Windows because your Dell PC is having hardware issues. The two are unrelated.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
See if they have an HTC they can switch you to, they make some pretty decent phones. I have an Inspire which has given me no problems, my boss just got a Moto Bionic that's giving him all kinds of trouble, and HTC's Sense interface is I think the best of the bunch.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM

[quote=swagger;21089017]Can't speak from the experience of having used both, but there's no way in he** I'd give up my Evo for an iPhone.

If you like the android platform, try a different brand of phone - the OS isn't your problem; the phone manufacturer/series is. Switching to an iPhone because of the problems you're having is like complaining about MS Windows because your Dell PC is having hardware issues. The two are unrelated.[/QUOTE

This only leads to my confusion. I was told that my phone not synching with google calendar or email etc. is google not my phone. Everyone seems to have a different story and all contradict each other

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Just swapped my Droid 2 for a Droid 3. Have an iPad and have played with my son's iPhone enough to know Apple is not for me, especially not the CDMA-only Verizon iPhone version.

Have never had trouble synching or using Gmail or Google doc - the only real issue I have with the Droids have been all the useless junk apps on it, but the Droid 3 allows you to create folders which I stuck all of the apps I don't want in. The battery life is pretty good, too, at least for my usage (no streaming music or video).

Like Gingerbread, syncs up with Google well, screen seems pretty durable. Looked at the Bionic and the HTC Incredible but finally decided that the slide-out keypad was really what I wanted.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
My wife bailed on Droid for the iPhone4. She likes it much better.

Two things I love about Droid that the iPhone cannot do right now is Live Wallpapers and Widgets. Two of my favorite things.

The only thing my wife liked better on the Droid is the selection of free apps. Droid has many more free apps.

Keep in mind, though, she went from the very first Droid to the latest and greatest iPhone.
That's makes a difference.

I don't hate the iPhone. It is nice. But as I said, I much prefer Android and HJTC makes the best ones IMO.

I support the phones in my office and I see none of the problems people mention. one DroidX here has been problem free. No synching issues with any of them. One guy just got a Bionic, not one problem yet. He loves it.
Someone else has the D3. She loves it.
and one guy has an iPhone... and loves it.

I guess my advice would be to wait and see what this new iPhone looks like. Announcement is only a few days away.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
If you're having problems with synching it might be lack of signal. Get close to a Wi-Fi source and turn it on in your phone.

Try to synch with Google and see if it works.

Home/Settings/Wi-Fi

Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you're having problems with synching it might be lack of signal. Get close to a Wi-Fi source and turn it on in your phone.

Try to synch with Google and see if it works.

Home/Settings/Wi-Fi
Have tried that. Never had a problem with this on my first 3 Droid X phones. It must be something with my last two. Not only synching. I put things on my calendar and they disappear. Same with contacts. Contacts wi.ll be there one day gone the next. This thing is so jacked up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones