Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 10:57 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

On Black Friday in 2009, I said goodbye to my iPhone. And when Steve Jobs’ successor announces the newest version today, I’m going to ignore the whole spectacle. Or try to, anyway.

In 2007 I was one of those people who obsessively monitored MacRumors.com for iPhone scuttlebutt, then waited in line for hours and bought one the first day it came out.

Why I Dumped My iPhone?And I'm Not Going Back - Technology - GOOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
The headline is misleading. The essay is about smartphones in general, not iPhones in particular.

I just got back from a business trip in Africa. I didn’t want to rack up thousands of dollars in roaming fees so I kept my iPhone switched off. Instead I got a cheapo Nokia for $20 plus airtime. I have to say, I felt paralyzed. I couldn’t just forward a v-card to give someone a phone number. I could keep track of my calendar. I couldn’t access a crucial, work related email. And so on.

It’s not a question of addiction, it’s about efficiency.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
^^exactly^^ but hey, it's a trend on its own to bash the iPhone, especially on the day a new version is slated to come out.

it's NOT the iPhone's fault-or any smart phone's fault- that you're too busy goofing off on it to listen to your wife while she's talking to you during dinner.

it's NOT the iPhone's fault-or any smart phone's fault- that you're too busy goofing off on it to pick up a good book to read (oh, and what a coincident that he decided to read Walden of all things )

it's not the iPhone's fault-or any smart phone's fault- that he became obsessed with his new piece of technology to the detriment of his personal development and relationships.

Blaming the iPhone or any smart phone for this is like blaming video games for ruining marriages. These phones have their place in the world and are valuable pieces of equipment when used properly. I have a variety of electronics and yet still find time to hang out w/ friends face to face, read several books a month, keep up with school work, and have basic, solid down time where I'm not "connected" at all.

dumb article and just pure "journalism" to boot

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I own a iPod and it's the first one that was made by Apple I think. I would rather have my laptop over this iPod any day. I don't see why people are making a big deal over this. I find it hard to use the typewriter because of my big fingers.
Bought it from a friend for 50.00

Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Interesting read from someone who is still a twenty-something. I was well into my 30s before I got Internet on my phone (but had a few phones that were capable for a few years prior). It is interesting to pass time, and I'll admit that using GPS/maps/navigation has saved me a few times from being utterly lost, but other than that, I still think of my smartphone as a phone first and foremost, and as an organizational tool second. I have a Twitter account, Tmblr, Wordpress, and a few others...but never access them from my phone. Once in a blue moon I will take a picture with my phone and upload it to Facebook, but not too often. It is no wonder why I love Blackberry's so much (even though I am currently on an Android phone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Smartphones have made some aspects of daily life more efficient...but only for a small group of individuals. For the vast majority of smartphone users out there, the phone is an entertainment device that has the uncanny ability to make phone calls.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I own a iPod and it's the first one that was made by Apple I think. I would rather have my laptop over this iPod any day. I don't see why people are making a big deal over this. I find it hard to use the typewriter because of my big fingers.
Bought it from a friend for 50.00
My wife has IPof Ihpone and a laptop. She uses them for different thihngs at different times.Whatever turns you on as they say.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Smartphones have made some aspects of daily life more efficient...but only for a small group of individuals. For the vast majority of smartphone users out there, the phone is an entertainment device that has the uncanny ability to make phone calls.
For most ANY business, smartphones are an indispensable tool. When I first started in the corporate field, I'd carry a huge laptop bag over my shoulder filled with a 7 lb laptop, charger, numerous documents, my Blackberry, etc. Nowadays I carry my smartphone (currently Droid but once the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll get that) and my iPad and that's it. Both are tools that have made my life MUCH easier. For most businesses, the smartphone and tablet PC have revolutionized how things are done, meeting conducted, etc.

I'm saddened that Steve Jobs died when I'm currently Apple-ifying my life with my iMac, iPod Touch, Macbook Air, iPad 2, and eventually, the iPhone 5. My office almost exclusively uses Apple products and with iOS 5 coming out, I'll be able to sync between all my devices.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The headline is misleading. The essay is about smartphones in general, not iPhones in particular.

Exactly. And even though I get tired of the iSheep (the people who worship at the altar of Steve Jobs and Apple) telling everyone how wonderful the iPhone X is compared to everything else, even if they've never touched another smartphone device, that article definitely wasn't about the iPhone - it was about all smartphones, whether they are iOS, Android, Blackberry OS, Windows Phone OS, webOS, or something else. Any really, if someone is so addicted to their smartphone that it becomes their life, the problem they need to deal with is looking back at them in the mirror, not being held in their hand.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
For most ANY business, smartphones are an indispensable tool. When I first started in the corporate field, I'd carry a huge laptop bag over my shoulder filled with a 7 lb laptop, charger, numerous documents, my Blackberry, etc. Nowadays I carry my smartphone (currently Droid but once the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll get that) and my iPad and that's it. Both are tools that have made my life MUCH easier. For most businesses, the smartphone and tablet PC have revolutionized how things are done, meeting conducted, etc.

I'm saddened that Steve Jobs died when I'm currently Apple-ifying my life with my iMac, iPod Touch, Macbook Air, iPad 2, and eventually, the iPhone 5. My office almost exclusively uses Apple products and with iOS 5 coming out, I'll be able to sync between all my devices.
I think you're in good shape, at least for awhile. . .according to this article, Steve had planned ahead for at least four years of Apple Goodness.
Steve Jobs: Dying Apple boss left plans for four years of new products | Mail Online

All I have so far is a First Gen. iPod Touch which syncs with my iMac and just having this has helped me be more efficient and has simplified my life. I'm still debating with whether to get a new Touch or the iPhone.

PS, I agree, the title of the thread & article is a misnomer. Just an attention-grabbing device, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones