Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times

Advertisements

I have been a customer with one two year hiatus since 1997

Once in awhile my bill has run late but the only time they ever "threatened" me with disconnect is past 30 days. FWIW I have never ever not once in all those years gone past 45 days. Sometimes though I go 2 weeks, max.

Well today I get an email from an email address that has not been associated with my account for years threatening to disconnect. I call customer support (who does regularly use the email account associated with my account) and they verify the email from verizonwiress@email.vzw.shop.com directing me to the a *different* web page is valid. My call was that I was concerned with phishing.

There was no dire warning of any type when I decided not to follow the links in the email and log into the normal verizon site. There was no email to the address asssociated with my account or text to my phone.

What gives? They said 10 days late and we disconnect. Is that NEW? I paid the bill then they ask me when I am going to pay the balance. YOu know the balance which is not due untile DECEMBER?

I pay my bills. My credit score is 750. My lapses into a late verizon bill are not frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM

119 posts, read 293,212 times
Lately they have insisted I keep my bill paid at least 60 days in advance. I guess they like to get the money fast and way ahead of time. You could just sign up for their auto pay that way you wouldn't have to worry about keeping up the bill on time. They seem to like getting paid 2 months in advance. They never call me about bill matters.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Wow-they are already paid in advance as it is.

I guess my most frustrating thing is getting a threat email through an email that was no longer registered on their system (I double checked my profile) and not having any other notification.

I don't trust Verizon or Charter enough to give them direct access to my checking account. I have had too many billing errors with both of them that had to be fixed to do that.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
I think many businesses who bill by for their services and/or goods by mail are requiring faster payments. My electric utility, a coop, gets downright nasty in just a day or two when they haven't received their payment by the due date. It's a sign of the times I suppose.

No problems with my Verizon though and I still mail them a check each month. I do make sure they receive the check before the due date though. I never click on any link that is emailed to me unless I check with the source first by telephone.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM

I don't either! Too much out there in the phishing and virus department; something like that comes in and I go to my normal log in. Paypal phishing is the one I seem to get the most.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:46 PM

149 posts, read 270,546 times
Yea they have gotten a little outrageous. They called me and said I needed to pay or they would terminate my service but the bill wasn't even due yet. I think they have let some people get away with too much as far as payments and now trying to tighten up. I know for a fact that one of my friends had a $2000 bill and did not get her phone service disconnected. This was about 3 years ago.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I don't trust Verizon or Charter enough to give them direct access to my checking account. I have had too many billing errors with both of them that had to be fixed to do that.
Amen to that. I don't even mail or use checks anymore for this reason. Since the Check21 laws went into effect five or so years ago, once they have your account & routing number (printed along the bottom of your check), it's very easy to make an ACH withdrawal from your account -- accidentally or otherwise.

Paying by credit card is the only way to go. Your issuing bank gives you an extra degree of protection in case the merchant screws up.

As for my account, I pay automatically every month on my credit card. I haven't noticed any changes, but I've never had a late payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones