Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Galaxy Nexus is still a version of a Galaxy S II, which is why Verizon doesn't have a labled GSII device.
Ahh... I don't pay close attention to verizon wireless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Galaxy Nexus is still a version of a Galaxy S II, which is why Verizon doesn't have a labled GSII device.
Sort of. It doesn't have the same hardware as any other of the numerous Galaxy SII iterations. The 1.5 Snapdraggon and Adreno 220 GPU in the Skyrocket is going to make the Galaxy Nexus look it showed up late to the gun fight with a butter knife, at least in terms of 3D performance. How well my cellphone plays graphic intensive 3D games isn't of much importance to me, however. Also, with the Nexus phones releasing once a year, I think we'll see some other Galaxy phones making their way to Verizon.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
You edited this thread 45 minutes after you started it, stating that you got a phone already. So did you make the thread and then run out the door immediately after?
LOL, no, didnt run out to purchase, but purchased one over the internet shortly after I posted this. Looked up the Iohone 4s on the internet and the service plans do not suit me at this time.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
... on an additional note, I am going to give this phone I just purchased to my mother in a couple of months and probably go with the Iphone 4S.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
I just purchased a Galaxy SII Skyrocket yesterday to replace my stolen atrix.....zoom zoom

Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I like my Galaxy SII.

Highest HSPA+ speed I've seen was 7.2mbps. But average is about 2mbps. That's fine for me.

The screen is awesome, and the battery life is good. I basically use it as a tablet at home, stream music on the drive from work and it pretty much lasts the whole day.

I've even dropped it 3 times (from waist high, not on purpose; without a case) and each time everything was fine. Not even a scratch. The worst that happened was that the battery popped out. I'm sure that an iPhone from one of those drops (like my old one) would have cracked.

I do love the design of the white iPhone, and it's OS's cohesiveness, and even the availability of apps but I just wanted a change.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM

119 posts, read 293,031 times
I have the cash stashed and am going to get the 4G- Galaxy Nexus it should be on the market within the next 2 weeks!. I am paying full price for the Nexus so I can use it on a no contract month to month. The specifications on the Nexus looks to be GREAT!. I assume the no contract price of the phone to be between $700-$900 but it looks like it will be a good companion to my LTE 4G 32GB xoom tablet!. I LIKE MY TOYS!!!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 PM

I have never really got why people buy phones at full retail. Why not just get the contract? I mean, I guess if you don't need what's included in the plan it could work out, but I just can't fathom spending $800 on a phone when I could get it for $200.

I guess my plan works for me well so a contract is something that I don't mind (plus one perk is that I am perpetually grandfathered into my unlimited data plan from ATT).

I think the Galaxy Nexus will probably retail around $600-700, but I'm no analyst.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM

119 posts, read 293,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I have never really got why people buy phones at full retail. Why not just get the contract? I mean, I guess if you don't need what's included in the plan it could work out, but I just can't fathom spending $800 on a phone when I could get it for $200.

I guess my plan works for me well so a contract is something that I don't mind (plus one perk is that I am perpetually grandfathered into my unlimited data plan from ATT).

I think the Galaxy Nexus will probably retail around $600-700, but I'm no analyst.
You pay more than full retail price for the phone on the contract anyway in monthly payments the $200. is just your down payment. If you pay full price up front it gives you the ability to change plans at a moments notice and grab any bargains such as reduced rates, bonus GBs etc. Also if something happens and you want to cancel there are NO cancellation fees. In essence it gives you the power to negotiate better with the carrier. You also have a UNLOCKED phone that you can use on most any carrier.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM

I guess for what features I need, I've never seen a dramatic price difference in contract vs. no contract. Honestly more power to you if you can save money this way, I am all about frugality.

I would like to see a comparison of, say, over 2 years, whether or not you'd save or spend more going contract vs. no contract and full retail phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones