Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

Here is what I want.

A Wi-Fi device.
I would like to check email.
I would like it to have a camera.
I would like to be able to make Skype calls with it.
Charger needs to work in Thailand/US.
Ability to use it as a regular mobile phone if I wish---would get a DTAC card and number in Thailand for a buck or two per week, but still will mostly be using Hot Spots.

No Contracts.

Can I do all this with a tablet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
The "using it as a phone" will not be easy. You'll have to use a google voice setup over WiFi...meh.

Any name-brand current-gen tab can do what you need it to do...but I'd just get a current-gen phone unless you really want the bigger screen.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
I think you could do it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab flashed with European firmware (i.e. not a regular AT&T North American model). Do a search with Google for more details. Personally, I'd go with a wi-fi tablet and a cheap unlocked quad-band GSM phone for making calls. Been pickpocketed too many times in India, Thailand, and other southeast Asian countries to carry an expensive smartphone on my person.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM

119 posts, read 293,146 times
A Motorola Xoom tablet will do all this and much more! I know as I own two of the 4G models!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
A Motorola Xoom tablet will do all this and much more! I know as I own two of the 4G models!
Try reading the question again.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Here is what I want.

A Wi-Fi device.
Ability to use it as a regular mobile phone if I wish---would get a DTAC card and number in Thailand for a buck or two per week, but still will mostly be using Hot Spots.

No Contracts.

Droid or Iphone. I dont know about no contracts though.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Here is what I want.

A Wi-Fi device.

No Contracts.

IPAD and your done............

The charger might need a voltage converter for Thailand.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,755 times
Quote:
Here is what I want.

A Wi-Fi device.

No Contracts.

if size don't matters to you in daily use than you can go with ipad or android base tablets,
else you can go for any smart phone you need batter camera & supports charger around Thailand/US than
you can go with samsung galaxy S series or Sony Xperia series both are android base and camera is batter than i phone cameras both comes with wi fi..

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 AM

119 posts, read 293,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Try reading the question again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones