Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,771 times

Advertisements

and what I mean by that is that American mobile phone companies have to stop charging for incoming calls and text messages. I know, too, that it is almost a moot point now due to so many people having unlimited plans, but for those of us who do not like me, I don't think I should have to pay for incoming anything as it is not my fault they have been sent (and this even includes when a company leaves a voicemail). I do have an international texting plan that is 9.99 a month for 100 outgoing sms, but I have to pay 20 for every incoming one. I am not one to text people I know in the states, so for me, I don 't want to waste that money on a monthly plan for something I will hardly use.

But... I am beginning to get more and more random sms's from companies I don't know who are trying to sell me something (and I haven't a clue how they got my number), and I am tired of seeing 50 and 20 cent charges on my phone for incoming sms from my family and friends (both locally and internationally) when in reality, they have already paid for sending them. In other countries, people only pay for outgoing calls and sms, and to me that is fair. Does anyone know why our phone companies do both or is it just mine which is AT&T? AND technically isn't that "double dipping" and in fact almost illegal besides, of course, being greedy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Does anyone know why our phone companies do both or is it just mine which is AT&T?[/b] AND technically isn't that "double dipping" and in fact almost illegal besides, of course, being greedy?
Nope, they all do it. You might be able to find an MVNO that offers free incoming, but I'm not aware of any off the top of my head. And while I agree with most of what you said, the simple fact of the matter is that they aren't going to stop overcharging until consumers stop paying. The wireless industry is white hot right now, and has been for the past decade or so. Demand is through the roof, so price will continue to rise.

It's not really "double dipping", nor is it illegal (or even "almost illegal"). You're being charged for your use of the network. Even though you didn't necessarily ask for the message, you're still consuming network resources in order to receive it. I know that both Verizon and Sprint will disable texting entirely if you ask, so you might want to call and ask.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The person texting you might have a different carrier, so it's not double dipping since their company charges them and yours charges you. Even if you are both with the same carrier, you and the other person both should have been aware of the terms of service when you signed up for it. You had a choice of paying for unlimited, but decided not to use it. Many people did that and regret it as they are finding more and more use for texting. Companies like Verizon realized this and eliminated the unlimited data plans, to increase revenue, luckily some people were able to forsee the future and got in before July. They can still send and receive unlimited texts and e-mail.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
You have plenty of options to avoid "double dipping". I don't think it's really a problem at this point. And Hemlock brings up a good point about different carriers.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM

[quote=Hemlock140;21974791luckily some people were able to forsee the future and got in before July. They can still send and receive unlimited texts and e-mail.[/QUOTE]

... and I'm loving every minute of my unlimited LTE hotspot on the Thunderbolt!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The person texting you might have a different carrier, so it's not double dipping since their company charges them and yours charges you. Even if you are both with the same carrier, you and the other person both should have been aware of the terms of service when you signed up for it. You had a choice of paying for unlimited, but decided not to use it. Many people did that and regret it as they are finding more and more use for texting. Companies like Verizon realized this and eliminated the unlimited data plans, to increase revenue, luckily some people were able to forsee the future and got in before July. They can still send and receive unlimited texts and e-mail.

I have unlimtied text, but prior to that, was it not duoblt dipping when my wife sent me a text and both of were charged? Despite the fact we were on the same account and had a shared text plan?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Not really. When your wife sent a text, her phone accessed the network, used a slot on the tower, send some bits of data through the lines, caused a bit of load on the HLR, etc. When your phone received the message, the same thing happened. So you both used the network.

Honestly, I'm not defending the carriers. We're getting gouged. The problem is, as stated above, demand is sky-high. Nothing will change until EVERYONE stops using wireless devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones