U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,597,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's a wonderful thing, allows me to run ICS on an HTC phone that'll never get an official ICS upgrade

Thanks for reminding me, ICS was the other thing I was waiting for. Last I checked ICS was in alpha for my phone, that was a few months ago. I should check up on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM

13 posts, read 12,387 times
Ill be glad once ics is found for my phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM

6,818 posts, read 12,175,801 times
I rooted my phone (Samsung Intercept) in order to install a few performance enhancing apps and to get rid of bloatware (since it's so slow.) I've also used the tethering on a few occasions when I've needed to access the Internet on the laptop when out and about. Being able to easily root is not a deal breaker for me.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 14,189,542 times
Bloatware doesn't really slow your phone down because you have to actually RUN it to make it use any resources. The issue with the carriers bloatware is that fact that it nags you for updates.
So you don't offer unlimited data anymore but then your apps WHICH I DON'T USE want to use MY DATA to update?
It's BS.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM

10,768 posts, read 18,200,727 times
There are some that loads when the phone starts. As far as data I have all my apps set to auto update, but to do so on wi-fi only, and an app that automatically turns off the data connection and enables wi-fi when the phone is range of a configured network.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,072,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well since the "risk" is pretty low, I would say it is.
IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY it is pretty hard to eff up.
And you can always go back to stock.

I actually have gone back to stock. I tried ROM after ROM after ROM.... there was always something that just didn't work great.
Stock works great on my phone.
I don't miss being rooted.

Totally agree with this ^^

Back when I used to flash custom ROMS via the XDA team on Windows Mobile HTC and iMate phones etc, while nice, they just always seemed to be missing something with the mods.

Stock 9/10 will work as intended or will be with an update from the manufacturer.

As far as rooting Android, if you are able to read and follow steps, it should not be a problem.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,740,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Just curious if a CWM backup image is similar to something like a Windows system image, when you restore it is it a complete over write of the system?

I also posted the question on XDA and no one that has responded seems to know, they recommend using a wipe script before restoring a backup, doesn't add much time to the process but I'm wondering if it's necessary.
I honestly haven't used the backup feature, so I don't know for sure. Generally I only use CWM to update CM9.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM

12,062 posts, read 14,189,542 times
I missed that post. Yes a CWM restore is like restoring an image file.
Right back to where you were.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,739,362 times
Well, about a week ago I decided to go ICS and drop my old UnNamed ROM for something newer. First one I tried was much slower than my old one and I thought maybe somehow the S2 didn't have enough horsepower to run ICS as smoothly as I wanted it to. I was scared cause I really loved UnNamed and I didn't want to have to try to backtrack to get it back. I decided to try CM9 and man... I'm glad I did. I don't know what was up with that other ROM but CM9 is just as fast as my old ROM was. Highly recommended for those who haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 AM

4,398 posts, read 9,300,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Well, about a week ago I decided to go ICS and drop my old UnNamed ROM for something newer. First one I tried was much slower than my old one and I thought maybe somehow the S2 didn't have enough horsepower to run ICS as smoothly as I wanted it to. I was scared cause I really loved UnNamed and I didn't want to have to try to backtrack to get it back. I decided to try CM9 and man... I'm glad I did. I don't know what was up with that other ROM but CM9 is just as fast as my old ROM was. Highly recommended for those who haven't tried it yet.
anybody have a ICS ROM that improved battery life. I've heard that ICS either regressed or no difference in that area. That's the real reason I'm thinking of rooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones