Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
show me were outside of using the phone to teather you can achieve 10-30 MB down......there arent chips capable of rendering that kind of speed on a phones browser yet, a 4G phone LTE WiMAX or HSPA+ is only capable of rendering
@ speeds of up to 5 MB tops...
Sure. How would you prefer that I measure it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Sure. How would you prefer that I measure it?
By browser speeds, how fast pages are loading......And Speed Apps don't count....again no Mobile Browser is going to load faster than 5 MB a sec on 4G

Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
no Mobile Browser is going to load faster than 5 MB a sec on 4G
No, you don't understand. Which website do you want me to test? What load time are we measuring? Or are you more concerned with rendering? Or both? Are you allowing for CDN delays?

Do you have any actual documentation to back this up, or is this just what Sprint says to explain their relatively slow 4G speeds?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Sure here you go.....We're not their yet....Very good reading material

http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/te...ces_Ver1.2.pdf

Verizon LTE torture test: Why 4G can't replace your DSL (yet) | The Verge

and as far Websites...I really don't care, none of them are going show any difference in loading on a 10MB vs a 5MB it's simply impossible with the chips embedded today one reason is battery life.

I'm kind of shocked you don't know this professor.

5MB down is plenty fast in the Mobile Space and if its consistent all the better, You can't possibly tell the difference between 5MB and 10MB down in Browsing Speeds on a phone.....30MB down is simply useless without Tethering.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM

LTE build out timeline - Looks like Sprint is the only carrier going straight for LTE Advanced by 2013....

U.S. LTE buildout timelines - FierceBroadbandWireless

Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
and as far Websites...I really don't care, none of them are going show any difference in loading on a 10MB vs a 5MB it's simply impossible with the chips embedded today one reason is battery life.
Well, which is it? You claim a phone can't utilize more than 5mb/s, then you say "I'm not talking about bandwidth meters", then you say "I'm not talking about websites". Are you going to rule out Pandora / Slacker / et al next?

Sorry, but the technology to utilize that bandwidth has been mainstream for decades. 10 mb/s on 5v at 50mA has been common for thirty years now -- and the CPU / GPU on a modern smartphone is, obviously, vastly superior.

Oh, and as for your links: The first was a primer on SMP vs single-core CPU applications, while the second revealed that wireless coverage is variable. Neither said anything about your mystical 5-meg limit, but I'm sure they'll be very interesting reading for a beginner.

As we said the last time you tried to argue that a 5-meg connection is superior to a 30-meg connection, feel free to use whatever suits you. But crying sour grapes doesn't make the rest of us go slower.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Sprint is taking the right tack in trying to do it right IMO. The problem is they should have done this a year ago. Verizon will have beat them by 1 1/2 to 2 years in getting 4G LTE out (and have most of the U.S. population covered by the latter half of 2012) and AT&T will have beat Sprint by 1 year in getting 4G LTE out. Many Sprint subscribers may look at the speeds their friends who have 4G LTE devices on Verizon or AT&T and decide to jump ship, even with Sprint's currently unlimited data plans (which will almost definitely change by the time they start releasing 4G LTE devices). The above rationale is probably part of the reason why Verizon has offered their special 4 GB data for $30/month for new subscribers who purchase a 4G LTE smartphone - to poach other carriers' subscribers, especially Sprint's.
Yep. I've debated jumping ship from Sprint to Verizon for a long while now. I can stand right next to my friend, both of us on our respective 4g networks, and watch his phone just blow mine out of the water regarding data speeds. But, I've been with Sprint forever, have a cheap plan, etc. If I were to jump ship, my bill would jump by $60/month to get what I have now. Keep in mind it would be my wife and I both jumping, we want to stay on the same plan together. So the cost has made me stay with Sprint, as well as the uncapped data. The costs above are assuming the 2gig/month plan (or 4 gig/month if I were to take advantage of the sale verizon is having). But even that isn't enough. I like to watch netflix on the phone and tether it to my laptop quite a bit also. I have tons of downtime at work. I burned through 65 gigs of data last month.

So I stay with Sprint, and hope that their network will someday match verizon's, and that I'll be grandfathered should they jump on the tiered data usage bandwagon (like verizon did with their customers).

Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So I stay with Sprint, and hope that their network will someday match verizon's, and that I'll be grandfathered should they jump on the tiered data usage bandwagon (like verizon did with their customers).
Well, you better hope that the Sprint network will NOT work or match like Verizon's network. Yesterday, they came out with the news that subcribers were disappointed with their 4G network results and that some of the new phones that they got, would work. Hum...I say just wait.

Remember, right now Verizon is the #1 provider. But, with half bandwidth of Sprint. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal. But a year from now...it will be. Why? Because they will be back to bandwidth throttling again to accommodate their customers. This will result in poor performance and then those nice toys will not work.

Just food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones