Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,088 times

Advertisements

FYI, Siri's algorithms have already been cracked and clones are being made for other OSes.

Also, Siri isn't that great. It's more gimmicky than anything else. I had an iPhone 4s for 2 weeks and very rarely found use for it. YMMV of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:22 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Google's apparently working on their own version of Siri anyway. It's not something I really care about either way. ICS is pretty huge, imo. But who cares. The Razr should get it early in 2012. Considering the number of apps that need to be updated, there's a big negative to being the first to get ICS anyway.

The big difference is 1) screen size, 2) LTE or no LTE. I didn't find the Razr to be that difficult to use at all. The Dell Streak was weirdly sized. LTE is hands down better than 3G although it does suck down battery. No LTE iPhone, no care.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Google's apparently working on their own version of Siri anyway. It's not something I really care about either way. ICS is pretty huge, imo. But who cares. The Razr should get it early in 2012. Considering the number of apps that need to be updated, there's a big negative to being the first to get ICS anyway.

The big difference is 1) screen size, 2) LTE or no LTE. I didn't find the Razr to be that difficult to use at all. The Dell Streak was weirdly sized. LTE is hands down better than 3G although it does suck down battery. No LTE iPhone, no care.
I already have a 4g LTE antennae to use with my netbook, so I do nto care if my phone is 4g. I can always just use WIFI ont he phone and have 4g.

What i like about SIRI is that I do nto ahve to spend a lto of time trying to figure out how to do things. On my current droid to insert a calender entry takes about five steps that i cna never rememebr and then I have to type it in. Often it will not respond to my tapping on a calender entry. With Siri I can just say "Siri scheudle a hearing at 9 am. on January 19 at XXX Court." IT apparently will also remind me to do things when i arrive at certain places. When I arrive home "Put the dogs out" or when I get to the area where there is a store "Stop and buy an anniversary gift" For me that would be really useful. I tend to focus on things and forget what I wanted or need to do.

So it is a big plus. POssibly not big enough to overocome bad navigation. But then there is the who durability and stability issue. A working phone is much better than a broken phone.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
.. The Android system is easier to conenct to a computer (e.g. to upload a photoraph) becuase it does nto reqruie propritary Apple software and it has a mini USB output. You can also take out the card, stick it in a reader and plug the card into your computer. Iphone requries hte special Iphone cable and Iphone software.
I thought with iOS 5 that you could synch to the computer via Wi-Fi... please correct me if I am wrong??

Ian

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I thought with iOS 5 that you could synch to the computer via Wi-Fi... please correct me if I am wrong??

Ian
You can sync/transfer files via wifi with Android but I have no idea about iOS. I would imagine you can with iOS as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post

Ian
It is my understanding that with the Iphone, the receiving computer must have apple software installed on it. With android you can look at pictures with the software that is installed on pretty much every business computer.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,771 times
iPhone 4s hands down. Apple products run as smooth as silk. Droid phones operate rather clunky and the hardware isn't as good.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have been though 11 Droid/Droid2s and my current droid2 is in the fritz (keeps switching over to camera while reading E-mail dialing phon calls, etc.).
How do you go through 11 Droids? Are you especially clumsy? Or does that say something about Droid construction?

I love Siri and get frustrated that my laptop doesn't have it. I don't have to open many apps anymore. I just say "call so-and-so" or "wake me up at 7:30." I've had no problem with voice recognition (but I was trained as an actor and speak very clearly). If you're using it for business, and especially if you work freelance, Siri is invaluable. The time you save doing calendar entry alone is worth it.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Droid phones operate rather clunky and the hardware isn't as good.
Are you high?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Ok, smart people. Which android AT&T phone would you recommend then?
I don't want to give up my Motorola SLVR, but word on the street is that it won't be supported anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones