Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times

Advertisements

I went with the iPhone, to compliment my iPad and iPod. I'm happy as I am sure are the folks who chose to stick with the Droid stuff. No biggie to me...whatever works best for the user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
Try TomTom for Iphone. Its $29.95 to purchase but is excellent, voice guided navigation. You can even customize trips on your computer and send the route to the TomTom on the phone. It even includes IQ routes with excellent rerouting due to heavy traffic (something my droid nav does not do). It also includes all the preferences and features not available on the free droid app. If you want live traffic, that is $20/year but may not be needed. I am considering switching to the Iphone from DroidX2 mainly because I use mac computers although am tempted to get 4g Razr (but battery fears are holding me back). Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandBob View Post
Try TomTom for Iphone. Its $29.95 to purchase but is excellent, voice guided navigation. You can even customize trips on your computer and send the route to the TomTom on the phone. It even includes IQ routes with excellent rerouting due to heavy traffic (something my droid nav does not do). It also includes all the preferences and features not available on the free droid app. If you want live traffic, that is $20/year but may not be needed. I am considering switching to the Iphone from DroidX2 mainly because I use mac computers although am tempted to get 4g Razr (but battery fears are holding me back). Hope this is helpful.
That is somewhat helpful. I am stull trying to find out whether any of these Iphone apps will speak over telephone calls or dictation, and whether I can tap an address in an E-mail or calender note to put that address into navigation. And whether I can dictate an address or tell it to navigate to an address in my contacts. The best thing about the droid Nav is that it is fully integrated with every other application ont he phone.

I almost never have traffic issues in Michigan and in California it is ointless becasue every freeway is jammed so alternate routes are a waste of time. However re-routing around construction or closed roads woudl be nice.

Since I do not use Macs nor do my clients, I have the opposite concern with the Iphone.

I have a 4g antennae. It is amazingly fast when it has 4g access. Sometimes it is faster than my home computer wireless router.

I cannto see what good 4g would do for a phone. Maybe if you stream movies or Utube.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
4G vs 3G on a phone for just basic web browsing is heartily different. I would not buy a 3G phone.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
To the OP who has likely long since gotten a phone. Maybe someone asked this already but if not.....

Why are you getting a smartphone?

If it is to play games, watch moves, etc...then it is a wash. Droids have bigger screens, iPhones have more apps.

If it is to use for email, calendar, "work" on etc, then it is worthwhile to determine whether you are using a windows or mac machine at work and home. If you use primarily macs, than the seamless integration of iphone and mac gives it the edge. If you use a mix of the two, or more likely just windows, than a droid makes more sense.

To be fair, I am on my 3rd iphone (a 4 not a 4s) and I don't see myself switching to a droid ever. I use macs at work, school and home it was the logical choice. I rely on my calendar HEAVILY and while you can make google calendars work on an iphone it can be a pain to keep them from looping when you add events at three different computers and two phones. That doesn't happen when you use ical and macs. I suspect that google calendars works as seamlessly on a droid and a pc but I would love to know if people have had problems using google calendars on more than one pc and more than one droid.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
To the OP who has likely long since gotten a phone. Maybe someone asked this already but if not.....

Why are you getting a smartphone?

If it is to play games, watch moves, etc...then it is a wash. Droids have bigger screens, iPhones have more apps.

If it is to use for email, calendar, "work" on etc, then it is worthwhile to determine whether you are using a windows or mac machine at work and home. If you use primarily macs, than the seamless integration of iphone and mac gives it the edge. If you use a mix of the two, or more likely just windows, than a droid makes more sense.

To be fair, I am on my 3rd iphone (a 4 not a 4s) and I don't see myself switching to a droid ever. I use macs at work, school and home it was the logical choice. I rely on my calendar HEAVILY and while you can make google calendars work on an iphone it can be a pain to keep them from looping when you add events at three different computers and two phones. That doesn't happen when you use ical and macs. I suspect that google calendars works as seamlessly on a droid and a pc but I would love to know if people have had problems using google calendars on more than one pc and more than one droid.

I use OUtlook for calendering. It works fine in the way that you are discussing. My problem is tha tthe android system is complicated to use. It takes several steps that I cna never remember, and frequently, it will not respond when I tap on the screen in the calender app. Thus, I just send m secretary an E-mail and ask her to put it in.

For me right now I am undecided. I have a androind phone (Droid 2). I am balancing.

Iphone is more stable and durable (I have been through 12 androids in less than 3 years - many of them due to software glitches where the phone just goes crazy after months of use.).

Iphone is easier to use (parctiularly for calendering).

Iphone costs less. (But I woudl have to buy new chargers and cables etcetera, plus the apps cost a lot more)

Android has execellent Navigation and I cannot find out if any of the Iphone navigation apps can equal it in the ways that i need.

Android has better VR (or it did before the most recent upgrade).

Android has a more readable screen (bigger, brighter).

I am familiar with Nadroid already (even though I find it overly complicated and difficult to use, at least I know it).

Andcoid does nto reqruie special software to connect to a computer. Not many busiensses have apple software installed so if I need to sent something to or from a computer and do not have internet access, Iphjone will not work.

Razr has better suond quality for tepephone conversations and a better speaker phone.

that is pretty much it. The other issues are either irrelevant to me or the two are soclose in performance it does nto matter.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Since you go through a lot of phones it might not be an issue, but iOS offers continuity. There's iOS and then there are versions of Android. Some phones offer versions that are stable and up-to-date whereas some version are buggy and cannot be updated. Customization inevitably creates fragmentation.

I live in Manhattan and don't own a car; turn-based navigation is useless for me. However I'm surprised that Apple hasn't addressed this issue by now. It's the killer app the pushes people to Android.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 AM

145 posts, read 420,495 times
To me its all about the apps. I have an android phone and i find myself hardly using the android market. Just dont like it much. I have an ipad ( typing this on it ) and i much prefer the apple app store. Most newer android phones are far superior hardware wise and have huge screens. If you prefer hardware, screen size , 4g , flash , go with android. If apps are important to you ( quality and structure ) sleek device and ease of use i would choose iphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones