Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM

43,044 posts, read 76,570,629 times

Advertisements

Why do people return so many iPhones, that convenience of returns counts as a plus?
I have had my EVO since they hit the stores, 6/4/2010, and never looked back.
It took about 30 minutes to have the screen replaced at the Sprint store about a year ago.

If I thought I was going to run regular loops from home to store to return phones, rather than just use it for surfing, texting, and talking, I suppose that I would have to consider convenience of that support.

Thinness of a phone is styling, not a measure of quality, performance, or even desirability.
I use the stock battery for backup, because I like the aftermarket battery bulge for convenience in handling.

If someone prefers something else, they should get it. Pure and simple. I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,958,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why do people return so many iPhones, that convenience of returns counts as a plus?
Either the phone has a defect or the user damages it. Users damage phones pretty often. Apple basically takes care of you no matter what. Not always the case for Android phones/users. One of the reasons I stopped in at the Verizon store was because my phone was dropping calls left and right. They told me A) they could ship me a replacement (refurbished) phone or B) I could wait for Samsung to release an update, which it is unknown when that will happen. That would never happen at an Apple store. They would either A) give me a brand new replacement phone right then and there, or B) know exactly when the necessary software update would be out and what it would fix. Support for Apple products is SO much better than the support you will get for any Android product, perhaps besides the Google Nexus product line. I'm sure Google takes much more pride in their products than Samsung or Motorola, since this OS is their baby.

Quote:
It took about 30 minutes to have the screen replaced at the Sprint store about a year ago.
Perhaps Sprint is better at taking care of their customers. I know for a fact that Verizon has a "hands-off" policy when it comes to the hardware they sell. If you have a problem with your phone, they don't really want to deal with it at their stores. The staff there are there primarily for sales, not user support.

Quote:
If I thought I was going to run regular loops from home to store to return phones, rather than just use it for surfing, texting, and talking, I suppose that I would have to consider convenience of that support.
Smart consumers consider customer support when buying products, regardless of what they think might or might not happen with the product.

Quote:
Thinness of a phone is styling, not a measure of quality, performance, or even desirability.
You are obviously wrong about desirability. Consumers purchase items quite regularly based on sleekness of design. Keep in mind, we're talking about a cell phone...in 2011-12. Portability is a key factor in purchasing a cell phone, thus sleek design is a major factor for most consumers. Why do you think they keep getting smaller and thinner? What's the hottest Android phone on the market right now? The Motorola Razr. Of course, if you have big hands or fat fingers, I can see where bigger IS better comes in to play.

Quote:
I use the stock battery for backup, because I like the aftermarket battery bulge for convenience in handling.
Again, it depends on age and size of the user. Older people or people with big hands/fat fingers prefer bigger phones. To most average iPhone users and even Android phone users, this is of minor concern.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 01-03-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM

I am not a fanboi for any smartphone, but I just see no material issues raised in the thread for consideration in phone purchase. None.
Ergo, your note about "minor concern." It is a thread of "minor concerns."

I will say, I like big phones for convenience of handling. Style without enhancing function is fairly meaningless to me.
I do like the service at the Sprint store. The sales people are sullen, but I already bought. The techs are very helpful, and go above and beyond, IMO.
But, I think they would be the same if I had an iPhone.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I am not a fanboi for any smartphone, but I just see no material issues raised in the thread for consideration in phone purchase. None.
That is your prerogative. You are obviously satisfied with your purchase, or you are in deep contempt and are trying to validate it. Either way, you are entitled to how you feel. Customer support, particularly for tech products, is a big deal for me, but perhaps not for you. I have had issues in the past with devices that I have bought, whether they were smart phones or computers or gaming consoles. That is why I know and understand the value of good customer support on these products. Logitech is another awesome company when it comes to customer support. I recently had a problem with my keyboard/mouse combo, and no questions asked, they replaced the two devices within a week. All I had to do was mail back the defective products in a pre-paid UPS box. Companies like Verizon, Samsung, Motorola etc. only seem to be in it for the quick sale, not customer satisfaction.

Quote:
Ergo, your note about "minor concern." It is a thread of "minor concerns."
It is minor to you because you have only had positive experiences. Congrats for that. At least I can acknowledge that as a strong possibility and accept it. People such as yourself have a difficult time wrapping your minds around things that don't impact you. It's the "if it doesn't happen to me, it must not exist" mentality. I feel sorry for you, but more so for others who may have similar problems and get people like you who will eventually run out of patience and tell them to stop whining about it.

Quote:
I will say, I like big phones for convenience of handling. Style without enhancing function is fairly meaningless to me.
Great. I can tell from your profile picture why this is probably the case. So I understand where you are coming from.

Quote:
I do like the service at the Sprint store. The sales people are sullen, but I already bought. The techs are very helpful, and go above and beyond, IMO.
But, I think they would be the same if I had an iPhone.
That may or may not have something to do with Sprint's customer service policy. Verizon is a bit different, because they are the big man on campus. They claim to have the best network, and thus treat their customers like 2nd class citizens. Once they got your money and your signature on the contract, they seem to have very little time for you or your problems. So instead of helping your with your issue, they typically resort to a line of corporate mandated BS to force feed to their frustrated and helpless customers.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

LOL
Is it the red shirt, or the big hands?

I just have enough things in life to interest me that millimeters of phone thickness for bragging rights hardly registers.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
OP - you are trying to project your experience with Verizon to everyone else and somehow concluding iPhones are a better choice.

As already noted, Sprint has provided good service to many, as it has to my family. My son's Evo became flaky after 15 months of use and they replaced it with a refurb for $30. Want to replace a batter in an iPhone not in warranty? Can't do it yourself by popping off the back. Gotta have a genius do it for $70.

You also seem to think everyone values thinness highly. I think manufacturers value it more than buyers do. Most touch screen phones today are more than thin enough. I would happily have a phone 2mm thicker if it had a better battery. The iPhone's battery life is better because it has a very unique (but larger capacity) battery almost the full dimensions of the phone. They chose not to use a battery like most phones (say 1.5 inch by 1 inch and .25 inch thick). That also what makes battery replacement in the iPhone a store event for 95% of the world.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,124,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Point being that you HAD to buy a new battery rather than being able to get the same utility out of the standard battery that came with the phone.
I stopped here. If you re-read my post, you'll understand why (and why I laughed).

Rabid Fanboyism. So amusing.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Not true at all. If you have a pair of boobs that apparently helps get an iPhone that you destroyed replaced, but in general they don't just take care of the problem. Dunk your girlfriend's phone in a glass of water and see what happens. Since "they just take care of it" it shouldn't be a problem, right? Free new phone without any scratches, so why not do it? Because they don't. Sometimes, yes. Always, no. Often? I don't know. I've never owned anything except an iPod Touch. It's long out of warranty and aside from the back looking like I took steel wool to it is none the worse for its years of service. The battery even still holds a charge decently, although it admittedly only saw daily use for a very short time when I did not have a smartphone.

Likewise, on the updates, take yourself down to the Apple store and demand to know when they are going to address the power management issues in iOS 5. You will not be told it will be fixed by a date, and if you are told that, you are being lied to. And that's going to Apple and not Verizon who will properly tell you to go to Apple. While your there, ask them when they're going to stop selling yellow screens and when the fix for the iPhone muting calls at random will occur.

And the phone isn't too thick. Your pants are too tight. Get new pants.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,995,669 times
I agree that battery life on 4G LTE Android phones isn't that great but it is improving. As soon as Verizon sells an LTE phone that gets you through a full day of moderate use I'll buy one.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Rabid Fanboyism. So amusing.
I am not even close to a "fanboy" of any product. I just know good products when I see them. Apple, IMO, has the best phone on the market. And I own an ANDROID phone.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Discussing poster, not topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones