Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Reputation: 1669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not true at all. If you have a pair of boobs that apparently helps get an iPhone that you destroyed replaced, but in general they don't just take care of the problem. Dunk your girlfriend's phone in a glass of water and see what happens. Since "they just take care of it" it shouldn't be a problem, right? Free new phone without any scratches, so why not do it? Because they don't. Sometimes, yes. Always, no. Often? I don't know. I've never owned anything except an iPod Touch. It's long out of warranty and aside from the back looking like I took steel wool to it is none the worse for its years of service. The battery even still holds a charge decently, although it admittedly only saw daily use for a very short time when I did not have a smartphone.
Well, let's see, Malloric. My gf is one person. I, myself, am another. And I have several other friends (with penises) who are Apple product owners. And any time we've had problems with our products, they take care of you. My gf has dropped her phone on one occasion for sure. I had an iPod Touch that went berzerk, and they replaced it, no questions asked. With Samsung/Verizon, I will likely have to accept a mailed refurb phone that may or may not have issues as well (I've had that experience in the past as well) You admittedly say you've only had to deal with one iPod Touch, yet you project your views almost fact. Why is that? I am taking about a large data set. And though they may not ALWAYS take care of you, I still believe that Apple has the overall best value.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Discussing poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,013,711 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I am not even close to a "fanboy" of any product. I just know good products when I see them. Apple, IMO, has the best phone on the market. And I own an ANDROID phone.
You should probably try reading the post.

Because she doesn't have an extended battery, and her phone lasts just fine.

The only thing APple products are good for is the better apple market.

Outside of that, and this exists outside of phones, Apple products are constantly outclassed for the same price.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Edited quote to reflect current version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
OP - you are trying to project your experience with Verizon to everyone else and somehow concluding iPhones are a better choice.
I believe, at this point in time, that they offer a better value. At least until A) better batteries come out for LTE phones and/or B) the customer service for Android phones improves significantly, at least amongst other WPs than just Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As already noted, Sprint has provided good service to many, as it has to my family. My son's Evo became flaky after 15 months of use and they replaced it with a refurb for $30. Want to replace a batter in an iPhone not in warranty? Can't do it yourself by popping off the back. Gotta have a genius do it for $70.
Maybe you can't do it, but there are those who are more savvy that can. Don't quote me, but I believe on the new iPhones, it is very easy to get to your battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You also seem to think everyone values thinness highly. I think manufacturers value it more than buyers do. Most touch screen phones today are more than thin enough. I would happily have a phone 2mm thicker if it had a better battery. The iPhone's battery life is better because it has a very unique (but larger capacity) battery almost the full dimensions of the phone. They chose not to use a battery like most phones (say 1.5 inch by 1 inch and .25 inch thick). That also what makes battery replacement in the iPhone a store event for 95% of the world.
It's not only about the design, it's the fact that you have to buy an aftermarket battery to get iPhone-level battery life on your 4G Android phones. You're spending more money, thus you are getting less value. I've seen the phones with the extended batteries. They add a significant amount of girth to the product design. That seems silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
 
28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Reputation: 37905
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,013,711 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Where did I miss that part where she talked about her phone's better battery life?
I was referring to the post she was responding to.

Namely you completely misreading her post and going on to whining about the extended batteries which are not needed on the 4G model phones.

I do find it hilarious to hear complaints about the battery life on the android when the 4s were having battery issues for quite some time.

Sorry, but outside of artists and some science fields, Linux/Microsoft>Apple in every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
You should probably try reading the post.

Because she doesn't have an extended battery, and her phone lasts just fine.
I apologize, I did miss that part.

Also, to be fair, the Galaxy Nexus phone is designed by Google. As I mentioned in a post above, I believe they put in a lot more effort to make sure that their phones get the best functionality with the Android system and the network antennas. They take more pride in it, because it's their baby. Companies like Samsung and Motorola and HTC are just players trying to capitalize off what Google has done. I believe the Nexus is likely the BEST quality Android phone on the market right now.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Discuss topic, not posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Sorry, but outside of artists and some science fields, Linux/Microsoft>Apple in every way.
Perhaps in terms of software and OS development, but I think Apple takes the pie with product utility and design. I even like Android's system just fine. I just think the 4G phones are way ahead of their time and it shows in terms of battery life. Not to mention, they lack the type of customer support they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
8,346 posts, read 7,013,711 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Perhaps in terms of software and OS development, but I think Apple takes the pie with product utility and design. I even like Android's system just fine. I just think the 4G phones are way ahead of their time and it shows in terms of battery life. Not to mention, they lack the type of customer support they deserve.
I disagree on pretty much every point.

A: The androids have a better UI and are simply more cusomizable
B: THere are tons of better android phones with better design than the Iphone 4s, which is why the android platform is so awesome, it's not limited to one design
C: I've not had one problem with an android's battery life. Not that charging is FOMG ANNOYING. We do have chargers everywhere just in case.
D: I've not had a problem with customer service regarding the phones either.

There may be something to what Rita said.

Fanboyism has a way of putting blinders on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
 
2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post

Fanboyism has a way of putting blinders on..
Yeah, I'm a fan boy, though I've never bought a single Apple product in my life. I had an iPod touch and I have an iPad 1, both given to me as gifts from my employer. Yet, I use Google Chrome as my primary browser, have an Android phone, and love using Ubuntu on my PC laptop. Yep, I'm just one big Apple fan boy.

Maybe you should re-read the part in my post where I give props to Android OS, and insist that my criticism is of the hardware/hardware support. Maybe it is me who has just given an unbiased opinion to a bunch of Android fan boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 15,121,249 times
Reputation: 4957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Also, to be fair, the Galaxy Nexus phone is designed by Google.
Actually, to be fair, the Galaxy Nexus was designed by Samsung with corroboration with Google.

Though, I don't have the Nexus. I have a Galaxy S2, or to be more specific, I have the EPIC 4G Touch flavor of said line.

Galaxy Nexus != Galaxy S2

I've had my phone off the charger since 730am (9.5 hours!). Playing Pandora all day with 4G, Skype and IRC are logged in and active, and I've been constantly texting and facebook messaging with the screen nice and bright. During lunch, I played some Gin Rummy and a couple of sudoku puzzles. Over 50% battery life still left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Companies like Samsung and Motorola and HTC are just players trying to capitalize off what Google has done. I believe the Nexus is likely the BEST quality Android phone on the market right now.
First you say that companies like Samsung are just players trying to capitalize. Then you claim that a Samsung phone is the BEST quality Android phone.

So either you didn't realize that the Galaxy Nexus was by Samsung... or Samsung has done a mighty fine job with their phone. Or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top