Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM

21,642 posts, read 24,775,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Well, let's see, Malloric. My gf is one person. I, myself, am another. And I have several other friends (with penises) who are Apple product owners. And any time we've had problems with our products, they take care of you. My gf has dropped her phone on one occasion for sure. I had an iPod Touch that went berzerk, and they replaced it, no questions asked. With Samsung/Verizon, I will likely have to accept a mailed refurb phone that may or may not have issues as well (I've had that experience in the past as well) You admittedly say you've only had to deal with one iPod Touch, yet you project your views almost fact. Why is that? I am taking about a large data set. And though they may not ALWAYS take care of you, I still believe that Apple has the overall best value.
... because I can read? Apple Care warranty is just like every other warranty in the business. It excludes things like submerging a phone in water or beating it with a sledgehammer. iPhones are ubiquitous. I assume everyone, like me, knows dozens of people who have accidentally destroyed their iPhone. They can draw on their own first- and second-hand anecdotal experience as to how often Apple replaces stuff due to user abuse. From my experience it happens sometimes and sometimes not. Having a pair of boobs helps the odds but does not guarantee them. That's very different than replacing a defective product under warranty. And no, not all Apple replacements are brand-new. There isn't some mythical "Law of the Universe" that refurbished phones can't be put in a box and shipped to an Apple Store Near You anymore than refurbished phones can be put in a box and shipped directly to you.
http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Edited quote to reflect current version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,958,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
... because I can read? Apple Care warranty is just like every other warranty in the business. It excludes things like submerging a phone in water or beating it with a sledgehammer. iPhones are ubiquitous. I assume everyone, like me, knows dozens of people who have accidentally destroyed their iPhone. They can draw on their own first- and second-hand anecdotal experience as to how often Apple replaces stuff due to user abuse. From my experience it happens sometimes and sometimes not. Having a pair of boobs helps the odds but does not guarantee them. That's very different than replacing a defective product under warranty. And no, not all Apple replacements are brand-new. There isn't some mythical "Law of the Universe" that refurbished phones can't be put in a box and shipped to an Apple Store Near You anymore than refurbished phones can be put in a box and shipped directly to you.
http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf

The pants are obviously too tight as they are cutting off the blood supply to the humor center.
Sometimes they do. That is the point to take away. The policy with most Android phones is they do not offer that kind of support, at least not anymore. Maybe at Sprint, but c'mon. What are they? Number 4 on the WP list? At best, you will get a refurb on your Samsung, Motorola, or HTC.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

So either you didn't realize that the Galaxy Nexus was by Samsung... or Samsung has done a mighty fine job with their phone. Or both.
Do some research on the Galaxy Nexus. Google had a lot of say on what that phone's design. So, even though Samsung may have provided some tools for the design, it was Google who ultimately had the final say on product design.

I think Samsung has done the best job on the Android phones thus far, but I don't think they've done the best in terms of smartphones. They need to get the battery life better. That, to me at least, is about 50% of the equation.

My Samsung Droid Charge has been off the charger since 7am this morning. I have 68% battery life, but the 4G, GPS, and Wi-fi have been off all day. I did use it for about 35 minutes to stream music on 3G while I worked out at lunch. Other than that, I have hardly touched the phone. When I have 4G on, I would have had to charge it at 1pm easily. You should be able to make it through an entire day on one charge in my view.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,123,148 times
Quote:
Sometimes they do. That is the point to take away. The policy with most Android phones is they do not offer that kind of support, at least not anymore. Maybe at Sprint, but c'mon. What are they? Number 4 on the WP list? At best, you will get a refurb on your Samsung, Motorola, or HTC.
Sprint customer here. Have received brand new replacements and refurbished replacements. Couldn't tell the difference on my end. Also, Sprint overnights new phones if local stores don't have them in stock. There's no 7-10 day wait.

But it goes to show that when choosing a device, you should also choose the appropriate carrier to handle any and all support needs for said device.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Sprint customer here. Have received brand new replacements and refurbished replacements. Couldn't tell the difference on my end. Also, Sprint overnights new phones if local stores don't have them in stock. There's no 7-10 day wait.

But it goes to show that when choosing a device, you should also choose the appropriate carrier to handle any and all support needs for said device.
Sprint's coverage is gawd awful here. Even for that convenience, it's not worth switching. Food for thought...maybe that's why they are so lenient on those policies. If their customer support sucked, they would probably go under.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,008,778 times
Quote:
You keep projecting your Verizon experience regarding support as an indictment of Android smartphones. Have you tried T-mobile? That's my carrier for my HTC G2 (almost a Nexus phone). My family's family plan is with Sprint.

You keep harping on battery life. Yes it could be better on many phones. But it is obviously adequate for the majority of Android users or they wouldn't have bought so many. Apple obviously was far from perfect with the iPhone 4 - or the signal strength problem wouldn't exist.

And finally - I consider it a privilege not to have anything to do with iTunes, a horrible piece of software. It is also damned nice to be able to use a $3 microUSB cable to connect my phone to the computer, whether to transfer files or charge it damned near anywhere. No $20 proprietary Apple or Apple-approved cable.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You keep projecting your Verizon experience regarding support as an indictment of Android smartphones. Have you tried T-mobile? That's my carrier for my HTC G2 (almost a Nexus phone). My family's family plan is with Sprint.
I went with the carrier with the best coverage. That is undeniably Verizon. Unfortunately, I think their hardware support policies suck. From what I've heard, AT&T is no better. It makes perfect since that Sprint and T-Mobile offer the best customer support; it's because their network sucks. Quality customer support is all they have at the moment.

Quote:
You keep harping on battery life. Yes it could be better on many phones. But it is obviously adequate for the majority of Android users or they wouldn't have bought so many. Apple obviously was far from perfect with the iPhone 4 - or the signal strength problem wouldn't exist.
iPhone is not perfect, definitely. But I believe it offers the best overall quality in terms of smartphones at this point in time. It is a great phone for the average Joe who just wants a cool looking phone, and it is a great phone for someone who is extremely tech savvy. You just have to know how to open up its capabilities (i.e. jailbreaking, etc.)

Quote:
And finally - I consider it a privilege not to have anything to do with iTunes, a horrible piece of software. It is also damned nice to be able to use a $3 microUSB cable to connect my phone to the computer, whether to transfer files or charge it damned near anywhere. No $20 proprietary Apple or Apple-approved cable.
I don't like iTunes either, that's why I use alternative programs to manage my media. Have you heard of Media Monkey? And I don't know where you shop, but I got my power cables for about $5 or less. Again, it's about being in the know. And if you aren't, I can understand the frustration of feeling limited. But even with a stubborn, confined Apple product, you are not limited. You just need to know how to open up its full capabilities and manipulate it so it works best for you.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The policy on all Apple Phones is they do not offer that kind of support anymore. Apple is probably more lax about its policies in that regard than other manufactures. I don't see the possibility of getting a refurbished phone when not eligible for a replacement per policy as a major incentive. Apparently you do. Nothing wrong that in my view.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The policy on all Apple Phones is they do not offer that kind of support anymore. Apple is probably more lax about its policies in that regard than other manufactures. I don't see the possibility of getting a refurbished phone when not eligible for a replacement per policy as a major incentive. Apparently you do. Nothing wrong that in my view.
When did that stop? My gf has received 3....I repeat 3 replacement iPhones in the last 6 months. A couple of those times were because SHE dropped it or damaged it in some way. She even dropped it in the toilet. And please don't tell me it was because of her boobs. That is such a childish response.

When I had an iPod that freaked out, I brought it in and they tried fixing it and when they couldn't, they gave me a brand new one. That was about a year and a half ago. Then again, maybe the Genius was gay and checking out my junk the whole time.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Read the warranty. That's never been Apple's policy. Either she had AppleCare or got lucky as does sometimes happen with Apple, especially in regards to its super-fragile glass but not so much water damage.
SmartPhone Comparison Study | Android, Blackberry, iPhone Failure Rates | SquareTrade Warranties
Quote:
Blackberry's resistance to damage from drops explains why it has the fewest accidents overall. The iPhone 4 is the most fragile device, and we expect 11.1% to experience drop-related damage over a year, nearly three times the rate of BlackBerry.

The data seems to suggest that the likelihood of drop damage is directly proportional to the amount of glass on the device. With dual-sided glass, the iPhone 4 has twice the fragile surface area of the other smart phones. Both Motorola and HTC, whose most popular phones feature full glass screens, also have higher than average drop damage rates.

At the other end of the spectrum, the average BlackBerry device has both the smallest screen and the lowest rates of drop damage. Of course, correlation is not causation, and there are numerous external factors like protective case use, but the data seems to support the fairly obvious observation that glass breaks much more easily than plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones