Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I went with the carrier with the best coverage. That is undeniably Verizon. Unfortunately, I think their hardware support policies suck. From what I've heard, AT&T is no better. It makes perfect since that Sprint and T-Mobile offer the best customer support; it's because their network sucks. Quality customer support is all they have at the moment.

iPhone is not perfect, definitely. But I believe it offers the best overall quality in terms of smartphones at this point in time. It is a great phone for the average Joe who just wants a cool looking phone, and it is a great phone for someone who is extremely tech savvy. You just have to know how to open up its capabilities (i.e. jailbreaking, etc.)

I don't like iTunes either, that's why I use alternative programs to manage my media. Have you heard of Media Monkey? And I don't know where you shop, but I got my power cables for about $5 or less. Again, it's about being in the know. And if you aren't, I can understand the frustration of feeling limited. But even with a stubborn, confined Apple product, you are not limited. You just need to know how to open up its full capabilities and manipulate it so it works best for you.
I know where to buy cheap cables. But the average joe you talk about doesn't. They pay $30 at the Apple store or Best Buy.

How do you know Sprint's network sucks? Or T-mobile's? You haven't used them have you? As many tests have shown, network quality is highly variable depending on location. Yes Verizon usually scores highest, but for many I don't believe it really matters that much. Millions of iPhone users put up with AT&T for two full years. Keep in mind that Verizon is also the most expensive provider. My t-mobile plan is far cheaper than if I were on Verizon.

The iPhone is a closed system, as is everything Apple. It works for a lot of people. But not for millions more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,988,056 times
Quote:
Sometimes they do. That is the point to take away. The policy with most Android phones is they do not offer that kind of support, at least not anymore. Maybe at Sprint, but c'mon. What are they? Number 4 on the WP list? At best, you will get a refurb on your Samsung, Motorola, or HTC.
Sprint is #3.

Quote:
I went with the carrier with the best coverage. That is undeniably Verizon. Unfortunately, I think their hardware support policies suck. From what I've heard, AT&T is no better. It makes perfect since that Sprint and T-Mobile offer the best customer support; it's because their network sucks. Quality customer support is all they have at the moment.
For 3G service Sprint and T-mobile have just a good coverage as Verizon and AT&T respectively. Keep in mind that they have roaming agreements. It's only 4g coverage that sucks (for now). At least Sprint is doing something about it... T-Mobile is kind of stand-still until they determine their future.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,957,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For 3G service Sprint and T-mobile have just a good coverage as Verizon and AT&T respectively. Keep in mind that they have roaming agreements. It's only 4g coverage that sucks (for now). At least Sprint is doing something about it... T-Mobile is kind of stand-still until they determine their future.
Depends on the location of the user, but I would agree that there's probably little difference in phone coverage on an overall scale. I had considered switching over to Sprint as a matter of fact, until I was told by several users that the coverage in my metro area was terrible, not only for phone service, but for data dl/ul. Maybe a few years down the road, after my current contract has expired, I will re-examine Sprint as my primary wireless provider.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The iPhone is a closed system, as is everything Apple. It works for a lot of people. But not for millions more.
This is where I'm not sure I agree 100%. I have a friend who is as anal a tech freak as you can get. He is a proud iPhone owner, yet he is the furthest thing from an Apple "fan boy". I think if someone feels that the iPhone is a closed system, it is more of a reflection the user's limitations than it is of the phone's capabilities. I mean, first off, what are 95% of smartphone users using their phones for outside of checking emails and Facebook and playing Angry Birds? There's an app for almost everything you would need, and that can be said even more so for the iPhone than the Android, at least as of the present time. And with the iPhone, you can choose whether or not to accept firmware upgrades from Apple. Verizon/Samsung hi-jack my phone for 25 minutes to force a mandatory firmware upgrade on my phone.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:

My conclusion is that you should stay away from 4G phones, and if looking for better quality customer support, stick with the iPhone. They have actual stores that you can take your complaints to rather than relying on the wireless service provider, who will usually not stand behind the hardware that they sell.
You know, battery life was a big reason I kept my Motorola SLVR stupid phone for almost 6 years. It finally kept crashing too much (because I drop it 100 times a day), so I had to go get a new phone. But I could go DAYS without charging the battery.

The other reason was that the stupid phones are much more reliable when it comes to signal/drop calls. I have never in 6 years dropped a call on my stupid phone. Whereas the rule is that 2 people talking to each other on iphones better get their message across fast. Also, at big venues with a lot of people on the 3G/4G networks, you can find yourself SOL trying to get a signal at all, as we learned at the TX-OU game and a couple of large concerts. Us peeps with our stupid phones did just fine - 5 bars...iphone peeps couldn't even send a text message.

HOWEVER, I have since discovered that it is possible with the iphone to SWITCH NETWORKS back to (in the case of AT&T) the EDGE network and get free and clear talk and text signal no matter where you are. You can just go into your settings and switch it. You can't really use internet well at those speeds, but you can get business done with texts and talks no matter where you are.

I have searched through some Droid phones, and you cannot do that with the ones I looked at (including the highly touted but battery swilling Samsung Galaxy IIS Skyrocket).

I finally settled on the Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play...because it has much better battery life than the average smart phone (and I am still charging it much less than my wife charges her 3G iphone), it's not as humongous as some of the other droid phones (geezus, the Galaxy might as well be a Kindle), and it has a cute catchy gimmick of a full gaming controller.

As for being in love with the iphone (despite its network switching ability), I would rather chew glass with my va-jay-jay than buy an apple product. Their stores are total nightmares to navigate, their salespeople are smug and rushed, and I would be happy never to ever set foot in there again. Since the 80s, Apple has been all about talking down to its consumer and assuming we are all blithering idiots (in both customer service and product design). Thanks, but no thanks. I definitely think they are innovators and can see the draw of their products, but really...no thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Since the 80s, Apple has been all about talking down to its consumer and assuming we are all blithering idiots (in both customer service and product design).
Unfortunately, I think you just described the AVERAGE consumer. Maybe they aren't idiots, per se, but most of them aren't tech savvy, they just want the latest gadgets. Apple, as with most companies, are trying to reach the greatest amount of consumers with their products. Perhaps that explains their simple design. As for their Apple store reps talking down to customers, I guess I haven't experienced that myself, or at least no more than at any other specialty store. Try going into a pro cycling shop, see how the techs treat the novices there.

If you think you are a tech guru, buy a phone that you can hack the s**t out of and make your very own unique gadget. My very tech savvy friend has done just that with the iPhone, but he has very technical capabilities, at least a lot more than the average consumer.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,646,207 times
I have an iPod touch 3, an HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon, and I used to use a T-Mobile G2 (by HTC). Before my T-Mobile G2, I used various dumb phones on Verizon for almost 10 years.

So I have a few opinions.

T-Mobile's network does suck compared to Verizon; I had to switch back due to too many dead spots, especially inside buildings, and a poor network footprint for my frequent road trips.

The Thunderbolt has better call quality than the G2, but the T-Bolt's battery capacity sucks.

I prefer to use a physical keyboard for text entry, but it added a lot of bulk to the G2, and I was not a fan of the "Z-Hinge."

Data speed was quite good on T-Mobile with a good HSPA signal, but even more impressive on Verizon with an LTE signal. Where VZW really takes the cake coverage area. In areas where T-Mobile has no data, or even no service at all, Verizon has 3G which isn't that fast, but it gets the job done, even if tethering a laptop.

I pay a lot more for Verizon than I did for T-Mobile, but I don't mind. I pay more and get more.

T-Mobile really tries though, through their great customer service. Their reps are helpful and competent. Verizon's CS isn't so bad though, as long as you don't ask for discounts or credits. They've also gone above and beyond for me in the past.

Despite my heaps of praise for Verizon, their three separate one-day data outages last month, which affected all customers with LTE phones, have been frustrating.

iTunes is fine. I can buy music from the iTunes store with my gift cards, import my own CDs using a number of codecs, or drop my existing tagged MP3s into the "add to iTunes" folder, after which they're automatically organized into a convenient directory structure, and integrated into my library. And it manages and backs up my iPod touch. I guess I like iTunes, because it's easy to use, and it works--most of the time. (EAC comes out of retirement for discs that iTunes has any trouble with, but that's only been about 1% of them.)

I've given Android a year's test drive on two devices, and I've used iOS for two years. Unless Android gets a lot better, or Apple takes a dive, my next smart phone will most likely be an iPhone (assuming the next iPhone model will have LTE).

Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times
Quote:
It's not only about the design, it's the fact that you have to buy an aftermarket battery to get iPhone-level battery life on your 4G Android phones.
Me, I want Blackberry level battery life. I could go for days on one charge instead of hours. My iPhone 4 battery life is just okay. If Android phone batteries can't even match the iPhone 4's, then no thanks. However, I may go back to Blackberry because of the short battery life on the iPhone 4.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM

471 posts, read 1,601,461 times
And some people think technology doesn't increase the stress in their lives.

BTW personally I believe the "phones" being discussed here long ago ceased being phones, and instead are portable computers that also just happen to make calls. I'm not complaining about them, rather, I was just pointing out the difference.

And as someone who used to be involved in the field of ergonomics, crazy-thin phones are hassle for me: they're more difficult to hold than thicker phones, resulting in an irritating usage experience not to mention increasing the potential for dropping them onto some unforgiving surface. Though this Casio Commando smartphone llooks like a good deal if I am ever find I have to buy such a phone & don't want to baby it (I am seriously considering one of their G zone flip phones though).

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,473,516 times
For the record Apple will NOT give you a brand new replacement for a broken iPhone after 15 days... just like VZW. It's a refurb, just like LG, Samsung, HTC...

And IMO Apple does NOT have the best phone on the market. It's generic and boring if you ask me. But I do recognize it works well and is fun to use.... just like Android phones.
They all rock!

<--- Loves everything technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones