Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM

21,637 posts, read 24,768,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Me, I want Blackberry level battery life. I could go for days on one charge instead of hours. My iPhone 4 battery life is just okay. If Android phone batteries can't even match the iPhone 4's, then no thanks. However, I may go back to Blackberry because of the short battery life on the iPhone 4.
It really depends what you use the phone for. Like today, I never really touched it. I checked a few emails this morning, made a phone call in the afternoon before driving home (left the phone in the car on accident), and updated a few apps. I have no idea what I used it for yesterday but obviously not very much. It's been unplugged for 40 hours and still has 40% battery life left. On a typical day I'm on the dregs by the late evening if I haven't put it on a charger during the day.

Part of the reason BlackBerry has BlackBerry battery life is you tend not to use it as much. The real killers I've noticed are GPS and web browsing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,641,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It really depends what you use the phone for. Like today, I never really touched it. I checked a few emails this morning, made a phone call in the afternoon before driving home (left the phone in the car on accident), and updated a few apps. I have no idea what I used it for yesterday but obviously not very much. It's been unplugged for 40 hours and still has 40% battery life left. On a typical day I'm on the dregs by the late evening if I haven't put it on a charger during the day.

Part of the reason BlackBerry has BlackBerry battery life is you tend not to use it as much. The real killers I've noticed are GPS and web browsing.
Not for me. I used it constantly. It still worked for days. It definitely lasted much, much longer than the battery in my iPhone 4 does using it for the same things that I used BB for.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,421,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I have the HTC Thunderbolt with the larger battery and have no problems getting through the day on a single charge.
Likewise, unless I have heavy usage (the screen being turned on is the biggest drain on the battery) I charge every other night.

It also shuts off the WiFi, GPS, and 4G after it has been idle for 15 minutes. If I don't use it much, even to play games, it uses only 10-15% of charge in a day.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,495,646 times
My Droid X is on it's second day (I did turn it off about 4:00am when I found I had forgotten last night, and turned it back on at about 10:00am) and it's showing about 50%. Usage has been so-so.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,881,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Point being that you HAD to buy a new battery rather than being able to get the same utility out of the standard battery that came with the phone.

Now your phone looks something like this: (aka a lop-sided brick)

When it could look something like this:

And, not to mention, not having to buy a bigger battery out of the gate. If something goes wrong with your phone, you won't be able to take it back to the store and get a replacement right then and there. You'll have to call the manufacturer and try to work it out with them. Maybe, if they are feeling generous that day, they will work with you and get you a non-refurbished phone mailed to you in 7-10 business days.

Convenience/value still goes to the iPhone over any 4G/Android phone.
I get what you're saying. It seems ironic that they design these slim phones, but in order to make them practically useful, one has to install optional/aftermarket high capacity batteries that eliminate the slim form factor. I have an EVO 4g, and the stock battery life is infuriatingly pathetic. This is for active use. I use the network functions a lot. Which is why I wanted 4g, but then it's battery drains like sieve, which limits my usage of it..yeah I liked my old 3g phones better. Was able to use the networks heavily on stock battery with no worries of running out of juice.

I'll disagree with you on Apple though. I just cannot stand any of their products. In fact I loathe apple to the depths of hell from whence that company came.

Last edited by 11thHour; 01-08-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,242,337 times
The OP is pretty ridiculous.

Does 4G suck battery life: Yes most of the time.

Can you turn it off: Yes.

Does Android suck: Not as much as it used to.

Are there good if not great 3G+/FauxG Android phones out there: Absolutely.

There's a reason why the Samsung Galaxy S2 has sold millions and is second only to the iPhone. Because it's a great phone/great alternative.

Although I like the iPhone a lot they are behind in technology this generation. And that's why I wouldn't recommend them until the iPhone 5 comes out. My wife has an iPhone 4s and it's a good phone. But Siri's a gimmick and also the sleek looking glass (which will double the chances of shattering) will be covered by a case anyway.

The Galaxy Nexus is a better phone now, and the Galaxy S3 will be even better. Ecosystems and support and compatibility are another thing altogether and Apple scores big points there, but your initial post implies that Apple will just replace phones with broken screens; some stores will, others will charge you a fee, others will make you buy a whole 'nother phone. Service in this case is dependent on the store and dependent on how persistent you are. Or if you pay for AppleCare.

Android phones now are almost equal to the quality of the iPhone, maybe not design-wise, but it would be absolutely foolish NOT to consider them.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,688,100 times
I have a white HTC Vivid, and the back gets so hot when charging is smells like it is burning, do you all think it is defective? I just got it last week, what about the Skyrocket by Samsung, please help. AT&T could care less. I have been an Iphone fan since they came out, but the 4s is really no different than the other versions. Yes, you have a good camera and siri, but that is it. The android markeyplace blows the Apple app store away.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM

43,031 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I have a white HTC Vivid, and the back gets so hot when charging is smells like it is burning, do you all think it is defective? I just got it last week, what about the Skyrocket by Samsung, please help. AT&T could care less. I have been an Iphone fan since they came out, but the 4s is really no different than the other versions. Yes, you have a good camera and siri, but that is it. The android markeyplace blows the Apple app store away.
Yes, I think it is defective, and I would take it back.
Warm, I understand. Hot and smelling like burning is not acceptable.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,688,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, I think it is defective, and I would take it back.
Warm, I understand. Hot and smelling like burning is not acceptable.
Thanks, Yeah I am going to take it back today. Do you know anything about the Skyrocket II? Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,957,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Thanks, Yeah I am going to take it back today. Do you know anything about the Skyrocket II? Thanks
I usually put a good amount of stock in Engadget's reviews. Here is their review for the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket:

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket review -- Engadget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones