Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have had Sprint for over 5 years and our contract is about to expire. Quite frankly I don't think I like Sprint anymore. It seems they have poor cell service.

When I went to renew 2 years ago, they fed us a line of "how they're the first in the area (Warrensburg, Missouri) with 4 G coverage that no one else has". I even upgraded my phone to a mil spec phone. The funny thing is I still didn't get any better reception, albeit I had more bars on my phone. I guess what they forgot to tell me is "there might be more bars but it doesn't mean better service".

My wife and I want unlimited phone messaging and data. We also want good coverage. I would like a phone without a camera on it, if such a thing exists.

With that said, who would you recommend and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
For the record, I have Sprint and love it... but I also live smack between Philly and NYC so coverage is good no matter what provider.

If reception is #1 priority, Verizon is typically the best option. However, there are areas where AT&T has the upper leg. It might be best to ask your friends/coworkers.

Expect to pay more than Sprint. Also, only Sprint offer unlimited data. If you log onto your Sprint account you can see what your data trends are and see whether the options the other carriers offer will work for you.

Any reason why you don't want a camera phone? Not having a camera severely limits your options... and potentially limits your experience.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Any reason why you don't want a camera phone? Not having a camera severely limits your options... and potentially limits your experience.
It's because I work inside of a high security compound that does not allow cell phones with cameras at all whatsoever - for security reasons. Get caught with one and it's your butt. (we have cops that patrol the area and check us)

My only other option is not to bring my phone into the compound though part of the reason I do is incase I need to call the wife or if someone sends me a text about something I am selling no craigslist.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
It's because I work inside of a high security compound that does not allow cell phones with cameras at all whatsoever - for security reasons. Get caught with one and it's your butt. (we have cops that patrol the area and check us)

My only other option is not to bring my phone into the compound though part of the reason I do is incase I need to call the wife or if someone sends me a text about something I am selling no craigslist.
There's probably a lot of people in the same position. I'm sure there are suitable options for you. Might be best to visit the Verizon & AT&T stores. Or possibly someone with knowledge will chime in here.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
never had a problem with Sprint. Drove across the country and had coverage where my friend's Verizon (which is still a very good service) coverage dropped out.

Sprint is upgrading their entire network to LTE.

Don't even think off ATT if you plan on travelling to the Northeast (Boston, NYC, Albany) or California. Absolutely the worse.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
I have been happy with T-Mobile for several years.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
blackberry is the only smartphone i know of that you can get without a camera. there may be something else out there; i really don't know.

as for which carrier; you may just have to do a 30-day test drive of a phone from each company. i currently have accounts with both verizon and at&t; verizon has the best voice and data coverage of the two in my area, but at&t's 3g data network is superior. Verizon used to be the fastest of the two, but in some of the larger cities i work in its getting congested to the point you can't use it reliably.

also, being able to use voice/data simulatneously on at&t can be a useful feature when you're trying to conduct business and talk at the same time.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I live in an area where there are many places of no coverage. Coverage maps are spotty, and traveling between any two towns it is very common to see loss of signal between towns. I suspect that maybe 1/3 of our state has any cell phone coverage.

Last week friends from IL came to visit us, they use T-Mobile and had very limited signal. Not every town even had signal.

My township only has one provider with signal here [Verizon]. We have I-95 going through our town, Verizon tries to cover the interstate. So there is a corridor here that gets good coverage, if you use Verizon. No other provider is present. However if you travel 10 miles to either side of the interstate, cell phones do not work.

Verizon is new to this area, it was a collection of small local cell-providers. Verizon seems to be buying them up.

My understanding is that Sprint is good, for when you leave this state and travel anywhere else.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My wife and I have had Sprint for over 5 years and our contract is about to expire. Quite frankly I don't think I like Sprint anymore. It seems they have poor cell service.

When I went to renew 2 years ago, they fed us a line of "how they're the first in the area (Warrensburg, Missouri) with 4 G coverage that no one else has". I even upgraded my phone to a mil spec phone. The funny thing is I still didn't get any better reception, albeit I had more bars on my phone. I guess what they forgot to tell me is "there might be more bars but it doesn't mean better service".

My wife and I want unlimited phone messaging and data. We also want good coverage. I would like a phone without a camera on it, if such a thing exists.

With that said, who would you recommend and why?
Verizon has the best coverage. I've had Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. But you can always try Verizon and return it with their 30 day return guarantee.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
I'm seconding all the "try before you commit" suggestions. There is no one carrier that's universally best for everyone. Verizon has the best coverage out here, but that's no guarantee that they do where you live / work / play. And just because AT&T has a bad reputation doesn't mean that they don't have good service there.

Each carrier offers a return period. Check with the carriers to find out who charges a restocking fee, how long each period is, and what fees you'll be responsible for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones