U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM

11,979 posts, read 14,113,083 times

Advertisements

I was going to say that, too, but as I have unlimited data I don't monitor what I use. I gave my Garmin away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,588,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So if I go Iphone, I don't need the latest one right? I can go with say the last model? What is that the 3? They are all the same size I think. Do they come with specific..........options or something?

The other contender I think will be the Galaxy Note - can I get the same verizon when I need it month data package?
The current iPhone model is the 4s, and the biggest selling feature on it is "Siri", the voice assistant. Android phones have a similar though less refined voice system which will supposedly be upgraded to have a more "normal voice command" type structure like Siri later this year. If you don't have a real need for Siri, then the iPhone 4 (no "s") is the last model. Siri to some is a gimmick, and to others it's pretty handy - it all depends on you. For the most part, it's an easier way to schedule things, send a text, see what things are near you, etc.

Regarding the Note - as someone else said, it's HUGE and also, it's only available on AT&T (currently). So if you'd like to use Verizon, you can't get the Note on their service.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM

8,115 posts, read 11,986,405 times
The Note is not to big. I would actually prefer a pad that I could make phone calls or text on. I hardly ever make calls hard as that is to believe. But when I'm traveling I want to be able to do all the pad web browse and make calls to hotels etc.
So the Note seems to be my best option (unless I just can't give up all the birding apps)

So....even if I buy an unlocked Note I can't get Verizon?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,588,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

So....even if I buy an unlocked Note I can't get Verizon?
Nope.

However, there has been a rumor online supposedly by "credible sources" since late January that eventually, Verizon and Sprint are going to get their own versions of this device, and it will be called the Samsung Galaxy Journal. Sometimes these rumors pan out by those behind the scenes leaking info, sometimes not. It'll be up to you as to whether you wish to wait and see or not.

I have in the past actually gone into a Verizon store and found out about things that were going to be released within a month or so, though. It depends on how loose their lips are in your area. They actually don't get a lot of heads-up notice themselves, but they might be aware of a Samsung Galaxy Journal if it's coming or not.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

So been poking at further research and
1) I didn't realize it would be this expensive monthly. 30 for a minimum phone and 30 for a minimum data per month. That's ATT - the only option with the Note and Verizon if they get a version of Note
So.........60.00 a month and honestly I won't even use this unless I'm traveling - about 4 weeks a year and some 5 weekends at my Mom's
This is a stupid question - but does that pay for my computer internet and wi-fi at home and would that be unlimited? I get the impression it doesn't.
Currently I have bundled Time Warner cable, digital land line, internet and cable. I would have to break that up? Or would the smartphone just be a flat out additional cost?
Not sure I'm ready for this.

Gotta say I'm pretty darn amazed and pissed off that these companies have such a lock on the American consumer. Apparently the rest of the world buys whatever phone they want and gets whatever carrier they want. Which is as it should be. I think its crazy BS that we can't? Why hasn't Congress done some sort of monopoly busting here? I think I need to write my congressman.

If I do this I feel tempted to buy an unlocked Note from Indonesia and trying to get it on Verizon or T-Mobile (cheaper). Just because it pisses me off so much that they have such a stranglehold on the industry. People seem to do it all the time but they are more tech savvy than me.

I thought this was an interesting comment from an article on the Note

Although I have seen many cases of carriers affecting phone purchases, I am surprised and sad.
I sit in a country where carrier locked phones are very rare, if not obsolete. There are 5-10 carriers in my country, (depending on specific regions). With so many choices, it has become our nature to swap carriers, according to our whims(literally).
Its disheartening. the galaxy note, which excites people now in US, was released here 3 months ago. major android os updates are rolling out now around the world, except in US, which has one of the largest android(and smartphone) userbase. I think oem's are working hard to improve their track-record, to deliver updates asap. But without the carrier's support, of course they won't succeed, and people will continually be pissed with android. the overall penetration of ics wil be much lower. This WILL affect google in slowing down their now-furious tempo in releasing the next-iterations-in-line. all the while apple and ms will be steamrolling ahead.
i think it would be sufficient to say this: US carriers are killing android.
Google and the oem's need to do something about this.

Last edited by Giesela; 04-04-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM

7,248 posts, read 5,754,305 times
Data is just going to be an extra charge. If you'd like, you could get tethering so you can use the connection with your computer as well, but that'll cost you even more money.

Buying unlocked is always an option, but you'll still be forced to get a data plan (wireless companies check IMEIs to figure out if you have a smartphone) and still be limited in your choice of carrier (they have to be running a network that the device can talk to). Other parts of the world have pretty much standardized on one technology (e.g. GSM) so it's much easier to move from carrier to carrier. In the US, different carriers are using different technologies on different frequencies (this is why in the past you could use an iPhone on T-Mobile, but couldn't get 3G data).

Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,719,476 times
This won't replace any of the bundled services that you get from the cable company, unless you move your current home phone number to the mobile phone, and give up the land line.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM

11,979 posts, read 14,113,083 times
Get an iPad.
Larger cost upfront but you can add the data plan only when you need it and you don't need a phone plan.
You'll have it for years.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM

"unless I move my number...and drop the land line" ok I can do that
but what about the internet? Do I keep that with Time Warner Cable? Will that still 'run' my netbook and my smartphone? And so then I'd be paying for that AND a data plan

Peregrin - re read upthread. I want something I can make calls on and have cellular internet. You can't make calls on an iPad.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 57,016 times
In my opinion, I am a highly visual person. I am also a very simplified person who could care less about most of the 'bells and whistles' on the Smartphones. That being said I have briefly owned an Android supported by Google and it was very tough for me to use visually just as I don't like Google on an every day basis on my PC either. I use Bing for it's simplicity.
I'll wait for the Window's Phone, and by a regular GPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones