Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM

77 posts, read 339,785 times

Advertisements

Looks like Nokia and Microsoft are going all-in with this one to try and make a dent in the US market.

You can pre-order it at Walmart now for $49 - Nokia Lumia 900 - Cyan (AT&T) | LetsTalk.com

So for people that have tried WP7, how does it compare to iOS? Are the live tiles really that helpful and as big a deal as people make it out to be? Is it as user friendly and intuitive as iOS? Will the learning curve be steep if somebody wants to switch over from an iPhone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Windows phone is crap in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I will be getting a new phone later this year. and will at least consider a Windows phone.
Nokia, perhaps, but probably not that phone.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Probably not that specific model, since I'm still under contract for a while, but I probably will pick up whatever its successor is.

It's nice to see good WP devices hitting the market at last. WP7 is a very nice OS that has been plagued by poor devices and a total lack of carrier interest (at all the local AT&T stores, the WP7 stuff gets shoved into a back corner with the last generation of Androids and old WebOS devices they're trying to dump. Employees don't mention them and if you bring it up, they try to steer you away.). With the Lumia, WP7 is finally going to get the attention it deserves.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Do you have anything to back that claim? Which is your preferred smartphone OS? Have you tried using a Windows Phone before?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM

80 posts, read 400,254 times
i like the OS, but the hardware is over 2 generations behind, unless they get snapdragon s4 or equivalent by the end of the year they are not getting any money from me.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Gatsby View Post
i like the OS, but the hardware is over 2 generations behind, unless they get snapdragon s4 or equivalent by the end of the year they are not getting any money from me.
The hardware is pretty damn good for a $49 phone. The CPU isn't top of the line. But what other phone has a CZ lens?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM

80 posts, read 400,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The hardware is pretty damn good for a $49 phone. The CPU isn't top of the line. But what other phone has a CZ lens?
It's $49 on contract, better phones are $200 on contract, or only $6 more per month over the course of 2 years, not a huge difference at all. Sure it has a great camera but I really wish Nokia comes out with dual cores for more demanding apps and multitasking. I like how the UI is very smooth, unlike most androids and it has a bigger screen than the iPhone, but hardware can use some better components and I am sold.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
i wouldn't mind having one, but i just got an htc hd7s a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD*
I'm also curious as to why you think that.

I've been using BB's for a few years now (i still do), and i've been more happy with my WP7 than any other phone i've had. I looked at android and iphone, but i wasn't impressed by any of it. if you're only interested in who has the most apps, then i suppose WP7 is behind.

things i can do with my WP7:

it has microsoft office built-in; i can type a document, PP, spread sheet, or one note on the phone and its waiting on my skydrive (cloud storage from MS; been around far longer than icloud) at the house or office. And vice-versa; type it at home or office, its on my phone when i'm done. when i'm finished editing/typing, i can easily share it with anyone in the office.

take a pic of a jobsite on the phone, its waiting on my skydrive and syncs to my computer automatically when i get home.

bing voice search is awesome; say what you're looking for and make one tap to call them or get directions from where you are. the bing maps turn-by-turn directions are great.

i also use the zune music pass; download unlimited songs for $10/mo. can listen from the phone (which i plug into the car stereo), the computer and xbox. it also has a built-in FM radio that i use quite a bit.

i can also check my TV program guide from the phone; if i see something i'd like to record, i can do it from the phone. I can stream anything from my DVR to the phone over wifi or at&t network. i can stream all the music already ripped on my computer, all of my movies, pictures, etc. . etc. . .

i can also play-to my TV any picture or video i recorded with my phone.

we use MS media center for our whole-house entertainment system, with xbox's at each TV as extenders; i can control all of those from the phone as well.

all that plus the usual news/weather apps, games etc. . .etc. . .

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

things i can do with my WP7:

bing voice search is awesome; say what you're looking for and make one tap to call them or get directions from where you are. the bing maps turn-by-turn directions are great.
Finally a comment from somebody that has actually used the phone and knows what he it talking about. BTW, which WP7 phone do you have? Is it a Nokia? Have you tried the Nokia Drive app for navigation?

Quote:
i also use the zune music pass; download unlimited songs for $10/mo. can listen from the phone (which i plug into the car stereo), the computer and xbox. it also has a built-in FM radio that i use quite a bit.
I am assuming it is a dedicated FM radio, so you don't use your cell phone data to listen to the radio?

Quote:
i can also check my TV program guide from the phone; if i see something i'd like to record, i can do it from the phone. I can stream anything from my DVR to the phone over wifi or at&t network. i can stream all the music already ripped on my computer, all of my movies, pictures, etc. . etc. . .
Is the DVR to phone streaming capability available only with AT&T Uverse? Do you know if it works with a Comcast DVR?

Quote:
i can also play-to my TV any picture or video i recorded with my phone.
I know I can do that with my iPhone and Apple TV. How do you do this with a Windows phone?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones