U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM

9,403 posts, read 10,826,957 times

Advertisements

Inspired by this quote from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-D member View Post
If I did not have children and a long commute I would not even own a cell phone.
Sure, cell phones are handy. The make life easier, especially when your car breaks down and you can call a tow truck. But that's not why I am posting this thread.

About three weeks ago, my wife left her office and suddenly had severe chest pain. She pulled her car over, parked and called me. I work a mile from her office. She said come get me and take me to the emergency room! We live in a small town so everything is close by. The hospital is less than a mile from where she was parked

I leave and on the way she calls again in great pain and her arms are tingling. I told her to call 911. The ambulance arrives a few minutes after I arrive. Off they go to the emergency room and she "Codes" five minutes after I arrive at the hospital. Her heart stopped. Was a heart attack. She is OK now.

But here is the deal. If she did not have a cell phone, she would have been dead. The timing and situation were such that a five or ten minute delay and she probably would have died...

...wow, that was hard to type...

So there you have it. My wife and I will always own a cell phone.

My story.
We both have iPhones, for those who are interested.

Edit: I wanted to add that having a smartphone made my wife's hospital stay much more tolerable. Not only could she talk with friends, but she could check emails, surf the internet, skype, etc. All on the hospital wifi system.

Yes, the urban legend of cell phones messing with hospital electronics has finally been despelled. Heck, even the docs and nurses were using cell phones in the hospital!

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-01-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 9,559,366 times
Even if you dont use a cell phone daily. Its important to carry one in the glove box of a car, because of this exact reason.

To call 911, the phone doesnt need to be "activated" with a network. It just needs to be on and a user will have access to 911. Now with GPS chips, in the case that a call is lost, there is greater chance of tracking the phone.

Per the FCC compliance rules that all carriers must abide to:
"
Compliance

The FCC recently established benchmarks that wireless service providers must meet over a period of eight years – providing wireless carriers with a reasonable amount of time to meet the agency’s more stringent location accuracy requirements.
Beginning in 2011, wireless service providers must file with the FCC a list of counties, or portions of counties, that they seek to exclude from the location accuracy requirements. The FCC will permit wireless carriers to exclude counties, or portions of counties, only where wireless carriers determine that providing location accuracy is limited, or technologically impossible, because of either heavy forestation or the inability to triangulate a caller’s location. Wireless carriers must report any changes to their exclusion lists within thirty days of such changes. The exclusion lists and changes must be reported in the record of the FCC’s docketed proceeding addressing location accuracy, PS Docket No. 07-114, which is publicly available on the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) webpage."

Wireless 911 Services | FCC.gov

BTW, thanks for sharing this on a public forum. I am glad to hear your wife is ok

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,013,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Even if you dont use a cell phone daily. Its important to carry one in the glove box of a car, because of this exact reason.

To call 911, the phone doesnt need to be "activated" with a network. It just needs to be on and a user will have access to 911. Now with GPS chips, in the case that a call is lost, there is greater chance of tracking the phone.

Per the FCC compliance rules that all carriers must abide to:
"
Compliance

The FCC recently established benchmarks that wireless service providers must meet over a period of eight years – providing wireless carriers with a reasonable amount of time to meet the agency’s more stringent location accuracy requirements.
Beginning in 2011, wireless service providers must file with the FCC a list of counties, or portions of counties, that they seek to exclude from the location accuracy requirements. The FCC will permit wireless carriers to exclude counties, or portions of counties, only where wireless carriers determine that providing location accuracy is limited, or technologically impossible, because of either heavy forestation or the inability to triangulate a caller’s location. Wireless carriers must report any changes to their exclusion lists within thirty days of such changes. The exclusion lists and changes must be reported in the record of the FCC’s docketed proceeding addressing location accuracy, PS Docket No. 07-114, which is publicly available on the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) webpage."

Wireless 911 Services | FCC.gov

BTW, thanks for sharing this on a public forum. I am glad to hear your wife is ok
Yep, I have a couple of old cell phones that I keep off and in the glove box of each of our cars (well, since I sold my truck, only her car). That way even if we forget ours we won't be without some form of contact.

Just be sure to check the battery and make sure it's charged and will stay on for more than 10 mins....it would be horrible if you had the phone but it was dead. I check it once a month.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,843,931 times
I noticed you are using a quote of mine from another thread...first off I would like to say that I am glad your wife is doing ok. Reasons such as this are the one good reason to have a cell phone. You never know when an emergency will arise.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM

9,403 posts, read 10,826,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I noticed you are using a quote of mine from another thread...first off I would like to say that I am glad your wife is doing ok. Reasons such as this are the one good reason to have a cell phone. You never know when an emergency will arise.
Thanks.

I changed the name in the quote, because the Mods seem to prefer that over using your user name.

A friend of mine who got rid of her cell phone two years ago just got one after hearing of my wife's heart attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones