U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 4,470,584 times

Advertisements

For those that are interested.

BBC News - Samsung to launch next Galaxy phone at London event

"Samsung will put the rumours and alleged leaks about its next flagship smartphone to rest when it unveils the handset in London later on Thursday.
More than 20 million copies of the existing Galaxy S2 have been sold since its launch in April 2011.
Analysts say its success helped Samsung overtake Nokia to become the world's best-selling mobile phone maker.
Changes in screen size, form factor and a higher-resolution camera are among changes that may drive its appeal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,001,951 times
Samsung Galaxy S III hands-on video, pictures, and preview | The Verge

It launched. I am somewhat impressed with it. I think phones are getting to the point where there are few really big surprises left.

Samsung is getting a lot of flack for keeping the plastic backing. To me, it's not much of an issue. My Galaxy Nexus has a case on it and more people have cases for their phones. So you won't be feeling the material regardless, only your cover. The screen is the inferior Pentile display technology, but still manages to look good.

Overall this is a good looking phone and should sell well. The one great thing is that it will release less than a month after it was announced, and the American version will be here in June. Flash back to the Galaxy S2 that was announced in February and did not get released until mid-September here in the U.S, over 7 months after it was announced.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM

7,375 posts, read 13,103,323 times
Im contemplating buy this over the iphone 5

Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 AM

4,398 posts, read 9,275,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
For those that are interested.

BBC News - Samsung to launch next Galaxy phone at London event

"Samsung will put the rumours and alleged leaks about its next flagship smartphone to rest when it unveils the handset in London later on Thursday.
More than 20 million copies of the existing Galaxy S2 have been sold since its launch in April 2011.
Analysts say its success helped Samsung overtake Nokia to become the world's best-selling mobile phone maker.
Changes in screen size, form factor and a higher-resolution camera are among changes that may drive its appeal."
When is this coming to Verizon? Does anybody have any guesses to what it will cost.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,142,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Samsung is getting a lot of flack for keeping the plastic backing. To me, it's not much of an issue..
Same here. I have the Note and I think it's perfect. We are getting cases (Otter Box style) after DH dropped his and the screen was ruined.

I've never been interested in getting iPhones for some reason but the Galaxy series caught my attention.

I agree with the OP, though. It seems that there are less and less surprises to show with every new phone. Maybe the companies could wait a bit more.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,001,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
When is this coming to Verizon? Does anybody have any guesses to what it will cost.
Rumors have it coming to Verizon. Verizon skipped the GS2 in favor if being the sole American carrier of the Galaxy Nexus at launch. Sprint is the second American carrier and just launched it 5 months after Verizon did.

Samsung wants to sell a lot of phones over the next year, over 150 million so releasing the phone on the largest American carrier seems like a safe bet that it will actually happen. It is supposed to launch the end of May in Europe and Asia I believe and the U.S. in June. The LTE version is going to take a little bit longer to release than the HSPA+ version. The cost will be determined by the internal storage. I would bet the 16 GB will run $199, or $249 max (with the usual contract extension). You can add $100 for the 32 GB version.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM

878 posts, read 1,411,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Rumors have it coming to Verizon. Verizon skipped the GS2 in favor if being the sole American carrier of the Galaxy Nexus at launch. Sprint is the second American carrier and just launched it 5 months after Verizon did.

Samsung wants to sell a lot of phones over the next year, over 150 million so releasing the phone on the largest American carrier seems like a safe bet that it will actually happen. It is supposed to launch the end of May in Europe and Asia I believe and the U.S. in June. The LTE version is going to take a little bit longer to release than the HSPA+ version. The cost will be determined by the internal storage. I would bet the 16 GB will run $199, or $249 max (with the usual contract extension). You can add $100 for the 32 GB version.
I sure hope it comes to Verizon. My account is eligible for an upgrade on July 5th (contract ends November 5th) and I am wanting to get this phone.

Samsung Galaxy S3 | Reviews | CNET UK

I'm currently running a Motorola Droid 2 I got in 2010... a dinosaur that is showing its age.

If Verizon doesn't get this phone it will be the last straw... I'm already losing my unlimited data at my next upgrade even though I was "grandfathered" in... and now it's $30 to upgrade phones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I've never been interested in getting iPhones for some reason but the Galaxy series caught my attention.
Same here... no real interest in any Apple products and I'm wanting to give someone other than Motorola a try for my next phone. I don't have anything bad to say about Android at all... the fact this phone has Android 4.0 is an big plus... the new version looks awesome.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,363,999 times
If this comes to Verizon I'll be tempted to switch from my iPhone 4. I have an LTE iPad 3 that I can carry with me when travelling so I don't need a gigantic 4.8" screen. The next iPhone is rumored to have a 4" screen which is too small for me. Decisions, decisions.

All I know is that after having and LTE iPad my next phone will definitely be LTE. If the HTC One X is any indication the US Snapdragon S4 version of the SIII should have good battery life which is something I refuse to live without (and something LTE smartphones have lacked up to this point.)

Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM

22 posts, read 25,325 times
This is the ****. Im buying this. Awesome software, beatiful look. Its more like a tablet LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones